The Heat Is On!

compusatman

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 7 2007 - 06:21 PM) 826431975[/snapback]So when he went to a combine in his Soph year were his numbers good. Obviously good enough to get into a Nike camp. Unless he got in through another means. I do understand the other avenues. And I'm concerned that if your Soph numbers are not premier then are you black listed. I would think the improvement ratio between years is the desired look. Or as others suggest, go to a non-Nike combine just to get used to the process. Obviously if the ahtlete is borderline because of injury then it becomes a consideration. Nike combine or non-Nike combine.

Solomon didn't do an combine last year, he was recommended by an track coach I believe. Last year they were able to test at the camps but revisions in the NCAA rules don't allow that anymore(test measurables) so now now they are recorded in combines. Last year, Solomon had impressive numbers at the Clemson Nike Camp and put up good enough numbers where he was going to get invited to an camp this year without attending the combine. These combines are hard to find. My son attended two camps last year, one that was not tied to any schools but had lots of different schools represente and the other was South Carolina. He was able to make contacts at both camps and they have followed up some with questionniares. But they cost so you have make sure that they are getting some good advice and it suits the needs of the kid. My opnion not factual info.

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 7 2007 - 06:26 PM) 826431978[/snapback]So you're saying game film helped to get him into a Nike Camp?

It can especially if your not a "name" heading into your senior year. If you haven't garnered any awards from the region level or higher it helps to have video to submit to be evaluated with an coaches recommendation. I'm not sure at South but the video at Science Hill is shot to cover the whole field and it's difficult to distinguish or watch if the ball is not in your kids hands. When your filming you kid as the focal point, it can be used as an valuable learning tool as well as something to send to schools and other intrested parties. I've been filming my son's game since he's been playing and has help understand what he's doing good and what he needs to improve on especially in technique matters. It's also pretty fun to watch and see where he's come from to get to where he's at now. It makes a big difference, imo, when watching film of an kid and he's in focus of every scene.

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 7 2007 - 06:37 PM) 826431983[/snapback]Good camps for anything other than QB's are hard to come by. We've been to three different ones and they were mostly autograph sessions and basic drills camps even though they were tauted as much more.

I agee but you have to condition your kid to make sure that he's taking advantage of the opportunity to learn. Ask questions and don't hesitate to jump up against the more "hyped" players. My son has never played much defense but at camps he gained alot of confidence when he was covering kids that had already committed to D1 programs and was holding his own. I don't have a clue what camps are for kids that play in the trenches but at most camps skill players have great opportunities to hone their skills with very gifted athletes.

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 7 2007 - 06:48 PM) 826431989[/snapback]Yeah, I've filmed every moment from birth forward. I have all the games from 5th grade through 10th. And yes, it's a good tool. Bad part is you don't get to watch the game in person. Oh well the price to be paid. Well mine is a Soph but still I want to get prepared.

If your son is getting on the field as an sophmore, he is already gaing ground because he will have mor film against varsity competition. We are at disadvantage when it comes to quality camps that are near by but there are some affordable one day camps if you look hard enough. Coaching is a very big part of it too, imo, because if the coach isn't to back up the kid it makes a lot more difficult. Since your son will be playing with an big name, he will be getting alot of opportunities to be seen so it's important that (if playing after high school is something he wants to do) he undestands that he can't take plays off. In our area, we have to take advantage of any exposure when it's present. That season opener is going to give alot of kids that aren't named Phillips or Duannah an chance to showcase what they can do also.

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 7 2007 - 06:51 PM) 826431992[/snapback]So if you have any suggestions for RB camps I would like to hear them.

We went to the Manning Passing Academy last year and the talent and knowledge was very impressive. It's a long way and expensive but my son learned alot on both sides of the ball. I'm not really sure about running back camps my son worked out at wideouts and dbs at camps. That's a really tough position because you really need the contact aspect more than the technique. I asked my son and he says that at the ones he attended they moved rbs out to wideout to work on their routes and catching techniques. Football players are at a big disadvantage compared to other sports when it comes to out of season exposure. There are no aau teams are leagues other than 7on7 camps. The things that rbs need to work on require contact in my opnion, I've seen good books with drills to work on balance and stayin upright after contact but that's a really tough one. I know one of the things that we had to identify was what postion that he would end up playing in college and it wasn't the postion he want's to play in high school. My son is going to Vandy and Appy State this summer and I will let you know how those goes. We are still looking for an DII school camp also.

Here's an intresting camp I just came across

Last summer the camps we chose were focusing on become better at his position while this summer we are trying to get him noticed.

Boone N.C. is a wonderful place to live and go to school...not to mention they have a good football team. And you're right...RB's are sort of out there on their own. Technique becomes manufactured. Alternate training and abilities become centerpoint. They can't follow the "yellow brick road".

QUOTE(compusatman @ Apr 7 2007 - 05:50 PM) 826431959[/snapback]I heard we were only having one scrimmage which I'm sure is false. And what I read is that Cutcliffe is coming to see him during spring drills. I don't think he would waste his time coming unless it were a scrimmage. Do you know who the contests are with? Also, that "other" SEC Head Coach is supposed to be at "a" scrimmage also. And I think both of those are confirmed. I would think the choice of opponents is crucial. And as well I think the opposing coaches would be exstatic to be there. Like maybe DB or a Knoxville team. I look for it to be one of the Morristowns. I'm sure you already know. If so elaborate please. I would love to scrimmage DB. We could probably sell tickets to that one. Everyone on both sides are wishing to put all differences aside and resume our rivalry despite our losing ways. You gotta admit...it's a rush. Despite all the warzone tactics. I'm glad to have the 'Toppers on the list but if DB were there also it would just be the icing on the cake! And after Stacy ordered the dressing room polished...well roll out the red carpet. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yes, I know Cutcliffe is coming during spring drills, I just didn't know if he'd get a personal session with Curt or if it'd be a scrimmage.......maybe both I guess. I assume he'll want to see Curt make certain throws, time him, etc. I heard we were to scrimmage Boone and Mo. West but that was second hand info. I've been out of the loop since the start of winter. Travel status stinks but it's better now than during football season! If you are referring to Urban Meyer, yes, I heard he'd be here sometime this spring also. I think Curt is visiting Va. Tech in the next few days and according to tricitiessports.com, he said he expected them to offer. Have you been to Unapproved Website lately? His list of schools is quite impressive. Although I want him to wear Orange, I really would rather him go to a school he can play by his jr. year. It'll be a very interesting season. Will Stacy let him finally build some stats or not? I know a lot of people on here seem to think Stacy already has, but there have been plenty of oppurtunities in the past 2 years where he could have really padded them and chose not too. I understand the reasons for not padding, but this is a unique situation we have here. Almost all the elite high school QB's have had their stats padded.