Ooltewah coach trouble?

hiway58

Let me say that I know Coach Baker and I believe him NOT to be a racist. With this said, he has shown incredibly poor judgment. This must be dealt with and I am afraid that it will lead to his job. That may be tough to swallow but you can't have role models saying things like this. We are held to a higher standard , right or wrong.

As to the meaning of the word, I don't care what the dictionary says about it. I know how it is used in our society today. Many people take offense, that is why it should NEVER be said.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My whole view on this subject is that yes, he was wrong for saying it and he shouldnt have picked a better word. Becuase no matter how to look at it when a person hears the "n" word it is directed towards African Americans. But he is man enough to admitt his mistake. And even though i dont respect him for using the "n" word.I do respect him as a man for not denying what he said!

QUOTE(tennesseebball @ Jan 22 2007 - 08:07 AM) 826340717[/snapback] Let me say that I know Coach Baker and I believe him NOT to be a racist. With this said, he has shown incredibly poor judgment. This must be dealt with and I am afraid that it will lead to his job. That may be tough to swallow but you can't have role models saying things like this. We are held to a higher standard , right or wrong.

As to the meaning of the word, I don't care what the dictionary says about it. I know how it is used in our society today. Many people take offense, that is why it should NEVER be said.

The use of the word both with er and a on the end is changing with the times. I hear black kids using it (both versions) towards each other, I hear white kids using it (mainly the "a" version) to towards each other and even white kids and black kids using it (mainly "a" version) towards each other. Of course I'm old school and don't like the word, either version, used by anybody. I have gotten on to kids white and black, for using the word. But make no mistake the younger generation just does not attach the same stigma to the word as the older generations do. The word is used freely in songs and on TV so it is becoming more acceptable to the younger generations.

With all that said I don't know anything about Coach Baker and the situation other than what I have read but he used incredibly poor judgment using the word. It's one thing for kids to use it but a coach, white or black, should not be using it in any context. He must be punished but he if he has a long history without any other problems then he deserves a chance to pay his dues and make amends. The punishment must fit the crime without regard to political correctness and politics.

QUOTE(THELEGEND @ Jan 22 2007 - 08:58 AM) 826340768[/snapback] The problem is this isn't the first time he has been in trouble during his career.

Like I said "if he has a long history without any other problems" but past problems should play a part in any discipline situation. I'm sure the administration will take all factors into account

QUOTE(volman09 @ Jan 22 2007 - 10:11 AM) 826340861[/snapback]

alright yall do yall think he would be in this much troubkle if he was black????

Yes, he should be punished regardless to his color. Any person in a position such as his should be held accountable for their words and actions. He should have been a leader and therefore he should have mind in gear before he put his mouth in motion in mixed company. There are consequences for negative comments.