Tri-County Seven - 21 January, 2007

krichunaka

I would put both Cloudland and Unaka up against Elizabethton any day of the week. And thats not just to stir up a County vs City school rivalry it's just the truth.

Everyone saw what happened last year when Elizabethton went up against Cloudland up at Lees Mcrae and im not a Highlander fan either just get sick of hearing about how Elizabethon is this somewhat great of a team yea they are good but can they make it happen in the post season are they that good.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nosebleedsection @ Jan 22 2007 - 10:22 PM) 826341760[/snapback]

I would put both Cloudland and Unaka up against Elizabethton any day of the week. And thats not just to stir up a County vs City school rivalry it's just the truth.

Everyone saw what happened last year when Elizabethton went up against Cloudland up at Lees Mcrae and im not a Highlander fan either just get sick of hearing about how Elizabethon is this somewhat great of a team yea they are good but can they make it happen in the post season are they that good.

Only time will tell the truth for all of these teams but today, Elizabethton is, without a doubt, #1

pgsg10fr, The Elizabethton game was my first time seeing South Greene this season. I don't know enough about the Lady Rebels to comment further, other than to say that I was informed in the pressbox that Megan Clevenger wouldn't play. I could speculate on how the game might have gone with her on the court, but the tournaments will sort everything out soon enough. I'm sure the Lady Cyclones know the road to Murfreesboro is bumpy.

For what it's worth, I love the way South Greene spaces it's offense and their willingness on defense, to come out and get after the ball, no matter the opponent's offensive personnel or strategy. South Greene, like always, is a very bold, aggressive team! For a while, I questioned the strategy of attacking Michaela, but then, a couple more whistles, and she would've been gone. So you can be assured the Lady Rebels have Elizabethton's, and every other team's undivided attention.

However, as demonstrated by your victory in Erwin, and Cloudland's debacle in Mitchell County, there just isn't a team in our Seven, that has performed good enough to unseat the Lady Cyclones, even on those rare occasions when they've faltered.

Elizabethton has, and for three seasons now, won nearly every game they should have. Granted, with the exception of Greeneville a couple seasons back, it's difficult to remember a team they've upset, but that's because they're often the most talented team in the gym.

coachh17, Now that I've made my pro-Elizabethton speech, Elizabethton has the size and depth; in other words, they have a talent advantage. But that by no means, translates to the best defense.

nosebleed, Cloudland and Unicoi County have the personnel to beat Elizabethton. Unicoi County played a decent game in Elizabethton, and still lost, and the Lady Blue Devils will get at least one more shot, this time, in Erwin.

Unfortunately, Cloudland isn't on this season's schedule, but the home victories over the Lady Rebels and Lady Blue Devils certainly suggests the Lady Highlanders could more than hold their own against the Lady Cyclones. Oh well.

Unaka has a very promising point guard, and another very good sophomore point guard. They have two players who are having All Star seasons. But the Lady Rangers have only one senior, and she's been hurt for most of two seasons. Depth would also be of great concern. But, wouldn't it be nice?

Nosebleed, you obviously haven't watched the Lady Highlanders very much. We demolished two of the areas best teams by 20+ points. One of those teams is the quickest team in East Tennessee. Cloudland will not have any trouble disposing of Unaka and North Greene the rest of the season and tournaments.

Ranking these teams reminds me of a soup I once ate. I had no ideal what was in it but the soup sure was good.

Ranking these teams can be fun but the only way you can have a "TRUE #!" is to play the games. You have a lot of good teams in the stew, but which one stands out.

I can give you several reasons as to why they should play one another but to some, it goes through one ear and out the other. It's like beating a dead horse, "some of you posters remember that." And I don't buy that old theory, "nothing to gain, everything to lose."

If you were to ask the kids if they wanted to play, every competitior would say yes. As a sportswriter, I can assure you that every player at Elizabethton would love to play "ALL" the county teams and vice-versa.

I refuse to rank teams in my articles until they play one another. Without head to head competiton, it's no more than speculation. As for the state polls, lets's just say old starman is good to "All" the deserving Carter County teams with his vote.

Krich,

My Lady Cyclones have always prided themselves on defense. Through 22 games they are yielding opponents a whopping 39.36 points per game average. They have only given up 50+ points twice, 54 to nationally ranked Stephenson, Ga. and 51 to South Greene. They have given up 40+ eight times, 30+ eleven times, and held West Greene in the 20's. They are not overly quick, but they have size and defensive discipline. The bottom line is that they are flat out hard to score on and have been for years. When you hold opponents in the 30's you win lots of ballgames.

Once again King you have proven your ignorance. First off there is no more blowout wins for your Lady Highlanders exspecially if they are going up against North Greene or Unaka maybe even Hampton. It is almost tournament time the games will get a whole lot tougher than you may think King and there is no easy wins come mid February early March.

QUOTE(coachh17 @ Jan 23 2007 - 12:18 PM) 826342341[/snapback]

Krich,

My Lady Cyclones have always prided themselves on defense. Through 22 games they are yielding opponents a whopping 39.36 points per game average. They have only given up 50+ points twice, 54 to nationally ranked Stephenson, Ga. and 51 to South Greene. They have given up 40+ eight times, 30+ eleven times, and held West Greene in the 20's. They are not overly quick, but they have size and defensive discipline. The bottom line is that they are flat out hard to score on and have been for years. When you hold opponents in the 30's you win lots of ballgames.

17, Your Ladies are on a five year run, a run that included the coveted trip to Murfreesboro. You're justifiably proud. During that time, they've been favored, and won nearly every game they've played, and they play good defense; that's more to be proud of. In other words, the Lady Cyclones have used their talent advantage nearly to full potential.

I'm also starting to think you've hired yourself a sure-nuff coach. And I'm talking about much more than Xs and Os. Not that many people realize what he's having to endure while attempting to keep the Lady Cyclones on top. He's demonstrating what True Character is all about, on and off the court. We all should take notice; and for what it's worth, and though I don't really know him, I'm very impressed, and proud of him for that.

This season, you have the area's top recruit. She's six-three, tremendously talented, very sweet, totally unselfish, academically brilliant, etc., etc.. You have three other senior starters and an amazing sophomore Center. How good is your team? That amazing Center is a Sub. You have an embarrassment of depth and talent. Enjoy it. Be PROUD of it.

You've had a Talent Advantage over the teams you've been willing to play, and except for the Defensive Lesson Cloudland taught you last season, you've responded like True Champions. Again, be proud.

Elizabeth, Rikki, Valneesha, and Cameron all got scholarship. This season, Michaela, Victoria, and Marti should be offered. It's a great thing. I don't know how many more ways I can commend your team without absolutely sickening the other Six. Enjoy the success. Barring disaster, it should continue through next season, perhaps beyond.

As to Starman's post, I agree with his premise. It's a shame, and though, through no fault of yours, Elizabethton has chosen Not to play Unaka during the run. You destroyed a young Cloudland team two seasons back, and were handled by the same group last season. It's sad to think of the amazing games we've missed; I have to believe that will change soon.

CycloneFan, I fully agree, especially considering the official actually blew the whistle for that reason. Where's the justice?

pgsg10fr, Don't take any of us personally, and never too seriously. I'll assure you the Lady Cyclones realize they'll have their hands full in the District Tournament.

QUOTE(THE KING @ Jan 23 2007 - 08:56 AM) 826342075[/snapback]

Nosebleed, you obviously haven't watched the Lady Highlanders very much. We demolished two of the areas best teams by 20+ points. One of those teams is the quickest team in East Tennessee. Cloudland will not have any trouble disposing of Unaka and North Greene the rest of the season and tournaments.

Science Hill is the quickest team in East Tennessee, and Elizabethton just beat them last week.

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Jan 23 2007 - 04:06 PM) 826342745[/snapback]

17, Your Ladies are on a five year run, a run that included the coveted trip to Murfreesboro. You're justifiably proud. During that time, they've been favored, and won nearly every game they've played, and they play good defense; that's more to be proud of. In other words, the Lady Cyclones have used their talent advantage nearly to full potential.

I'm also starting to think you've hired yourself a sure-nuff coach. And I'm talking about much more than Xs and Os. Not that many people realize what he's having to endure while attempting to keep the Lady Cyclones on top. He's demonstrating what True Character is all about, on and off the court. We all should take notice; and for what it's worth, and though I don't really know him, I'm very impressed, and proud of him for that.

This season, you have the area's top recruit. She's six-three, tremendously talented, very sweet, totally unselfish, academically brilliant, etc., etc.. You have three other senior starters and an amazing sophomore Center. How good is your team? That amazing Center is a Sub. You have an embarrassment of depth and talent. Enjoy it. Be PROUD of it.

You've had a Talent Advantage over the teams you've been willing to play, and except for the Defensive Lesson Cloudland taught you last season, you've responded like True Champions. Again, be proud.

Elizabeth, Rikki, Valneesha, and Cameron all got scholarship. This season, Michaela, Victoria, and Marti should be offered. It's a great thing. I don't know how many more ways I can commend your team without absolutely sickening the other Six. Enjoy the success. Barring disaster, it should continue through next season, perhaps beyond.

As to Starman's post, I agree with his premise. It's a shame, and though, through no fault of yours, Elizabethton has chosen Not to play Unaka during the run. You destroyed a young Cloudland team two seasons back, and were handled by the same group last season. It's sad to think of the amazing games we've missed; I have to believe that will change soon.

CycloneFan, I fully agree, especially considering the official actually blew the whistle for that reason. Where's the justice.

pgsg10fr, Don't take any of us personally, and never too seriously. I'll assure you the Lady Cyclones realize they'll have their hands full in the District Tournament.

Thank you. I believe I agree with everything you said. This is a special group of young ladies building on the tradition established by those who came before them. I hope it continues for many seasons to come, and I think Coach Weems and the feeder program will keep it rolling. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!