WHAT REGION HAS THE BEST AND THE WORST REF'S

KEV-O

QUOTE(TojoYamamoto @ Jan 24 2007 - 09:01 PM) 826344635[/snapback]

When we go to other states to wrestle, I quickly become more appreciatiave of Chattanooga refs. I feel that way within the state too when we get outside of Chattanooga; I just feel like Chattanooga refs continually remain "students of the game."

Tojo, I agree with you, but alot of the Chattanooga area ref's are really starting to show their age. I'm not saying they don't do a good job but just like anyone else who gets older they just slow down a step or two. I hope they're restocking because Mara has retired and Elsea, Williams and maybe a couple others may be looking to join Mara in the near future.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of you might think you understand what it is like for a referee to make calls out there on the mat, but you have absolutely no idea (unless, of course, you've done it). I blamed several of my matches on the referee back in high school...including season ending matches...but I tell you now that I hold no official accountable for any match I have ever lost. Stalling calls are very easy to make when you're a coach or a spectator, because you're bias. You might not think you are...but you are. Given, officials miss calls at times and might make a mistake or two, but so would any given one of you out there. And as for the guy who complained about the potentially dangerous call earlier...any and every move can be considered potentially dangerous. If you want to complain about a ref stopping a match on a potentially dangerous call, then don't blame anyone but yourself when one of the kids get hurt. This thread is ridiculous and completely unnecessary, not to mention the horrible timing. And I'm not saying this to all of you, because many people do have respect for officials and know what it's like. But give these guys a break...they work hard to do what they do and take a lot of crap for it. And if they weren't out there, our kids wouldn't even have a sport to participate in. Thanks to every one of the refs out there trying and doing their job.

QUOTE(TojoYamamoto @ Jan 24 2007 - 09:01 PM) 826344635[/snapback]

When we go to other states to wrestle, I quickly become more appreciatiave of Chattanooga refs. I feel that way within the state too when we get outside of Chattanooga; I just feel like Chattanooga refs continually remain "students of the game."

Truer words have ne'er been spoken. We have the best, by far, officials in the tri-state area.

QUOTE(Lucas is my idol @ Jan 23 2007 - 11:37 PM) 826343258[/snapback]

Middle Tennessee for the most part has had great refs over the years. Worst refing I have seen in years was at the McCallie Middle School Duels.

I would have to disagree with you on that one, the refs there were completely overworked, one ref officiated 10 dual matches and the other 2 did 9 i'm not expert but that's a lot of matches to call in a 10 to 11 hour span. Give those guys a break. You might not of been happy with Baylor coming on top of your All-star team twice in one day.

QUOTE(suddensam @ Jan 24 2007 - 09:13 PM) 826344647[/snapback]

Tojo, I agree with you, but alot of the Chattanooga area ref's are really starting to show their age. I'm not saying they don't do a good job but just like anyone else who gets older they just slow down a step or two. I hope they're restocking because Mara has retired and Elsea, Williams and maybe a couple others may be looking to join Mara in the near future.

Don't forget guys like Sewell, Davis, Ruffallo (sp?), Heffington, and I would consider Gilbert on the young side too. I think their is alot of tread left on him...lol. Those guys are all top shelf. There are others I'm forgetting; it's early. But you are right, I do hope we get more guys who stop wrestling for whatever reason become refs. Now would be the time to gain from the experience and know-how this crew could offer.

QUOTE(harry thornton @ Jan 24 2007 - 02:26 PM) 826344261[/snapback]

I'd like to go public record as saying that I think ALL the referrees do a WONDERFUL job of calling matches and that EACH & EVERY one of them are truly FINE individuals. Especially the ones who ref my kid's matches.

Respectfully submitted,

Eddie Haskall

Also, does anyone know if Donnie Elsea gets extra hazard pay during his matches ? Does he just get it on the front side or is it only after the actual bone jarring collision occurs?

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 24 2007 - 08:33 AM) 826343682[/snapback]

Memphis is very bad! They probably have some good officials in the Memphis area but one family controls everything and they are going to send family members and friends to the big tournaments.

Nashville was good in the past but it's probably been 10-15 years. The good officials retired or decided they had families that need their time more than the officials association and everyone should understand that thought process. Let's take a close look at some of the retired Nashville officials:

Joe Wiggins, Kevin Marchettie (Sewannee wrestler), Tim Garrett (Sewannee wrestler), Ralph Williams (MTSU wrestler), Mike Apple (University of Tennessee wrestler), Brian Goeble (University of Tennessee wrestler), Jim Simpson (MTSU wrestler & semi retired), Brian Dunning (University of Tennessee & semi retired), David Scott (MTSU wrestler), Jim Turbeville, David Buck (MTSU wrestler)

Most if not all of those officials were used to officiate the state tournament so when they retired it was a huge loss of experience.

Interesting and dangerous thread....being at the state tournament the last several years, I thought the West TN wrestlers were at a disadvantage with stalling being called much faster than what they see locally. In the past month watching matches on the West side, the referees are calling stalling earlier which is a benefit for our wrestlers and more entertaining for the parents and fans.

An area which continues to need improvement (not just in West TN) is picking up the count on backpoints. It is discouraging to teach wrestlers good tilts and consistently get zero backpoints because the referee has to run around to the kid's heads before making his first hand motion. If the referee sees the shoulders open and he is standing at the wrestlers feet, he needs to begin the count as he walks around for better position. That is certainly what you seen when watching college matches and rewards the top man for wrestling aggressively to turn the bottom wrestler.

QUOTE(harry thornton @ Jan 25 2007 - 09:19 AM) 826345166[/snapback]

Also, does anyone know if Donnie Elsea gets extra hazard pay during his matches ? Does he just get it on the front side or is it only after the actual bone jarring collision occurs?

He gets a free wax job on his noggin

Tojo is right. Ask any SD fan, coach or wrestler about the Florida Ref's. we saw at the Ironman tournament in Oveido, Florida. The FL refs did not seem to appreciate the sport. They would not or could not move with the action. As a result, they were out of positions to make critical calls. The lack of good officiating created a lot fustration for other teams. This fustration showed up as excessive aggression in the match. For a tournament of that size and "prestige", the quality of the officating was just not up to par.