Poorest sport of them all

StarsPres

I just returned from the Siegel at Cookeville girls basketball game. I thought I had seen it all, with regard to bush league, low class behavior at a sporting event. The game was a thrilling close contest that Cookeville led most of the way. Siegel caught up and went ahead in the fourth quarter, only to have Cookeville tie it up. The game went to two overtimes with Siegel coming out on top in the end.

There was a guy in a blue sports coat and a red tie sitting at the Siegel end of the court, on the Cookeville side. Each and every time a Siegel player went to the foul line, this joker pulled out a large camera, pointed at the Siegel foul shooter and fired off the electronic flash just as she shot. He then turned to his female companion and really laughed it up.

This story would be bad enough if this was just a red-necked uruley fan. Imagine my surprise when the Homecoming Queen was Crowned between the boys and girls game. The Blue coated baffoon was the Principle of Cookeville High School! What class and charm you displayed. You are a fine example of how any behavior, regardless of how bad, is tolerated in our society today. Thank goodness I will never have to go back to a school where such an individual is allowed to lead young people. I'd be interested to hear from Cookeville fans and how they feel about such actions.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StarsPres @ Jan 26 2007 - 10:58 PM) 826347672[/snapback]

I just returned from the Siegel at Cookeville girls basketball game. I thought I had seen it all, with regard to bush league, low class behavior at a sporting event. The game was a thrilling close contest that Cookeville led most of the way. Siegel caught up and went ahead in the fourth quarter, only to have Cookeville tie it up. The game went to two overtimes with Siegel coming out on top in the end.

There was a guy in a blue sports coat and a red tie sitting at the Siegel end of the court, on the Cookeville side. Each and every time a Siegel player went to the foul line, this joker pulled out a large camera, pointed at the Siegel foul shooter and fired off the electronic flash just as she shot. He then turned to his female companion and really laughed it up.

This story would be bad enough if this was just a red-necked uruley fan. Imagine my surprise when the Homecoming Queen was Crowned between the boys and girls game. The Blue coated baffoon was the Principle of Cookeville High School! What class and charm you displayed. You are a fine example of how any behavior, regardless of how bad, is tolerated in our society today. Thank goodness I will never have to go back to a school where such an individual is allowed to lead young people. I'd be interested to hear from Cookeville fans and how they feel about such actions.

Pres - must agree with you. I did not see this going on until the final free throws, but was told this had been going on the whole game. One of the most classless, juvenile stunts I have seen and then to be told this was the Principal. I'm sure will be laughed off by Cookeville folks as we were just sore winners, but still can't believe this went on. I hope our school team film crew captured this. I'm sure TSAA would be interested in seeing this behavior by a member of the Cookeville HS administration.

QUOTE(25Dad @ Jan 26 2007 - 11:07 PM) 826347686[/snapback]

Pres - must agree with you. I did not see this going on until the final free throws, but was told this had been going on the whole game. One of the most classless, juvenile stunts I have seen and then to be told this was the Principal. I'm sure will be laughed off by Cookeville folks as we were just sore winners, but still can't believe this went on. I hope our school team film crew captured this. I'm sure TSAA would be interested in seeing this behavior by a member of the Cookeville HS administration.

I personally know the principle and find this hard to believe I live in different county but know mr shanks well do you know it was him and why would he be taking pictures

QUOTE(senator @ Jan 26 2007 - 11:14 PM) 826347699[/snapback]

I personally know the principle and find this hard to believe I live in different county but know mr shanks well do you know it was him and why would he be taking pictures

Excellent Question - Why would he be taking picture of Siegel players every time we shot freethrows? Didn't see him taking pictures of Cookeville players shooting freethrows. The real point of the picture taking is that he was at a floor level view with angle shooting right into the shooter's eyes. Would have been obvious if he was standing behind the basket, but at his seat location hard to see unless directly opposite (which Siegel fans setting behind our bench got clear view of his actions)

QUOTE(25Dad @ Jan 26 2007 - 11:24 PM) 826347707[/snapback]

Excellent Question - Why would he be taking picture of Siegel players every time we shot freethrows? Didn't see him taking pictures of Cookeville players shooting freethrows. The real point of the picture taking is that he was at a floor level view with angle shooting right into the shooter's eyes. Would have been obvious if he was standing behind the basket, but at his seat location hard to see unless directly opposite (which Siegel fans setting behind our bench got clear view of his actions)

do you know it was mr shanks the principle

QUOTE(senator @ Jan 26 2007 - 11:34 PM) 826347722[/snapback]

do you know it was mr shanks the principle

No I don't know for sure, but was told by others sitting around us, who I assume were from Cookeville, but did see this same gentlemen handing out the hardware for King & Queen at homecoming crowning between games. Star Pres mentioned at start of this message that he heard this was principal.

I am not going to respond any more on this topic. Just thought "whoever" this Cookeville fan was, acted with extreme lack of class. I will leave it said at that.

No I don't know for sure, but was told by others sitting around us, who I assume were from Cookeville, but did see this same gentlemen handing out the hardware for King & Queen at homecoming crowning between games. Star Pres mentioned at start of this message that he heard this was principal.

I am not going to respond any more on this topic. Just thought "whoever" this Cookeville fan was, acted with extreme lack of class. I will leave it said at that.

[/quote As a closing comment to this post, maybe, however this happens and whoever this was is not in any way indicative of the way the Cookeville/Siegel games are presented. Cookeville and Siegel fans are both partison and they should be. Cookeville is a School with great tradition and pride and Siegel is the new kid on the block, sometimes a little disrespectful to the Traditionlated schools in 7AAA with their Nation trying to make its way but equally proud of its accomplishmentsm in this short period of time. There are great fans for each school and await the next meeting of 7AAA girls basketball between these two great schools.

I was glad to hear siegel came out w/ the win especially if the principal of cookeville acted so classless... yes sportsmans ship has been an issue this year and u wonder where it is getting taught from??faculty are there to be leaders and shld be that. if the refs were on the ball they shld have noticed this going on. only comment is classless plan and simple. let the teams play it out and the fans chear them on and may the best team win.