Another poor act of gamemanship

celtic33

IF you say so, I will accept that they can compete.

Jackson County ...Red Boiling Springs (201)...Clarkrange (231) ...Gleason (166)...Summertown...Clay County (249) all can play with McMinn

Tennesseebball, antwan is one of the best, knows all, sees all. Has a chip on the ole shoulder about privates, but handles it well.

There was no need for your coach to confront. That's just as bad as the deed itself. You just file it away and retaliate when you can.

Great advice to all the young coaches out there. These things happen, sometimes they are intentional and sometimes it can't be helped. Have been on both sides, had teams that could not throw it in ocean from the pier, and even when they did it was the other teams ocean. In these situations, the players can be more embarrassed when the dogs are called off. Not taking open shots, missing lay-ups on purpose, not playing any defense. I have even been in situations that the other coach plays with four. Rolls the ball down the court and only plays defense. There are always two sides to every story. It doesn't matter which side of the lop-sided game your own, its never fun.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gov @ Jan 27 2007 - 10:44 PM) 826348835[/snapback]

Tennesseebball, antwan is one of the best, knows all, sees all. Has a chip on the ole shoulder about privates, but handles it well.

Great advice to all the young coaches out there. These things happen, sometimes they are intentional and sometimes it can't be helped. Have been on both sides, had teams that could not throw it in ocean from the pier, and even when they did it was the other teams ocean. In these situations, the players can be more embarrassed when the dogs are called off. Not taking open shots, missing lay-ups on purpose, not playing any defense. I have even been in situations that the other coach plays with four. Rolls the ball down the court and only plays defense. There are always two sides to every story. It doesn't matter which side of the lop-sided game your own, its never fun.

Thanks. I don't profess to know all or see all. I do like to state my opinion. Some of my best friends on the T are private school people. Heck...some of my relatives are or have been private school students. I do enjoy the banter. It just goes to show sensible people can have very different positions...and opinions...and still be good friends.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jan 27 2007 - 10:14 PM) 826348794[/snapback]

Yes...they can compete. This is Jackson County's 2nd year back in A. They won 4 straight AA titles before dropping back down. Those A teams gave them fits during those years. Clarkrange has won 7 class A titles. There's not a lot of difference in A and AA most years.

Thanks...and you do the same.

JC neve played single a teams when they were aa only c'range in a hall of fame game and year in and out aa is 10-15 points beter now the best a teams can beat the average aa team but usally if equal aa will win 90% of time.thats why most years th state champ in a will have several losses because they play aa and aaa teams

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(senator @ Jan 28 2007 - 10:19 PM) 826349756[/snapback]

JC neve played single a teams when they were aa only c'range in a hall of fame game and year in and out aa is 10-15 points beter now the best a teams can beat the average aa team but usally if equal aa will win 90% of time.thats why most years th state champ in a will have several losses because they play aa and aaa teams

Back to the original post regarding Boyd girls vs McMinn Central:

I heard that Boyd's girls coach apologized to Coach Morgan and he apologized to her. We are all human and are sometimes irrational during the heat of battle.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jan 27 2007 - 11:08 AM) 826348055[/snapback]

Gee...this is eerily similar to your football situation. The Bald One has stated many times how the beatings from SP made your team work harder to get better. They won a state title a several years later. It shouldn't be any problem for your girls BB team to do the same. I wouldn't complain about a pounding like this. It's part of the game. Some coaches don't call off the dogs. Some do. The way to counteract is to get better so no team can do it to you.

Great from Smith Co. fan. Your girls coach leaves the 6'8 girl in til the final horn or very close to it no matter what the score is. Takes all other starters out but leaves her to pad the stat sheet.

QUOTE(winndixie @ Feb 10 2007 - 10:50 PM) 826366899[/snapback]

Great from Smith Co. fan. Your girls coach leaves the 6'8 girl in til the final horn or very close to it no matter what the score is. Takes all other starters out but leaves her to pad the stat sheet.

maybe the young lady stays in because she is a freshman and he wants her to get the best experience available - which is to play against somebody other than your teammates.

just a thought - i don't really know - it does seem unsportsmanlike to run up the points - nobody wants to get beaten so badly -

QUOTE(winndixie @ Feb 10 2007 - 10:50 PM) 826366899[/snapback]

Isn't she a freshman? Maybe the coach wants her to get some playing time with the other younger girls. They have a few more years to have to play ball together.

QUOTE(maroonandwhite @ Jan 27 2007 - 06:14 PM) 826348485[/snapback]

Let's look at facts from the other side also. The press did continue until half. But with only 2 minutes gone into the second quarter all of Central's girls had played except 2. In fact if you look at the scorebook you will see 9 of them scored. The second five work hard for their playing time and are eager to score if given the chance. To say the eleventh girl on the team should not get to shoot or try a "3" when she is a point guard is not fair.

Second half, no press or half court trap at all. Watch your game film to confirm and your scorebook to confirm that 9 different girls scored in second quarter. Second five in game halfway through third quarter , starters done for the night. Boyd had a very bad shooting night, they got good shots and just were not hitting.

And you want to throw ugly comments at Central's coach, be careful, you are in a glass house. He did not initiate the confrontation or go into the hallway. She walked past the Central girl bench and came back in front of the Boyd boys' team to demonstrate in front of them what should not have of happened. He walked away as she continued to want to argue back to the bench so that the awarding of the game ball for 600 wins. Ask any of your own boys team and they will confirm that.

I gotta agree....if the press stopped in the second half then I don't understand the problem. As long as the starters were out of the game then you can't ask the second and third teamers to not give it their best....it's the other teams job to stop them. But I wasn't there...just going by the first 3-4 posts'

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(tennesseebball @ Jan 27 2007 - 07:20 PM) 826348490[/snapback]Your comment on football is a little off base. BBS is a football school. 60 kids on the team that work really hard has the potential of great success. Your point is well taken about the idea that hard work after beatings like this is needed. I agree totally and I know that is what the BBS girls will do. Now to my main argument:

The multiplier was a football issue. When the 1.8 multiplier went into effect,many people new that it would devastate small private schools like BBS when it came to girls basketball or other sports for other schools. Here you have a school that should be playing on the 1A level going up against a dominant 2A program like McMinn Central who went the the state final four last year and will again in the future. To beat a team this badly who has very little business playing at this level is sad to say the least. If the score ends up this badly and the game was played in the half court that is one thng. But when you press up 38 and are instructed to keep shooting threes so that you can get to 100 that is another. Maybe this is the way they play and the argument is, "if you can't stop us that is your fault not ours" Maybe it is "we press the first half and take it off the second" Maybe it is "all girls play need to run our system so they will get better." I certainly understand the need to improve your team. BUT, this is HIGH SCHOOL basketball and we are dealing with the lives of 14 - 18 year olds. In the case of BBS many more are in the 14 - 16 range. Sports is not all about winning and losing in High School. For a coach to treat it as such is wrong.

Congratulations Coach Morgan for 600 wins. You do a good job and deserve alot of credit. However, not everyone is as fortunant as you are to be blessed with great athletes. To embarass them because of it is a whole other issue besides the wins and losses.

Where does this information about being instructed to go for 100 come from? The Boyd Buchanon coach accused Coach Morgan of playing his startes the whole game. Nothing could be farther from the truth. maroonandwhite is right on the money. He cleared the bench and nine different players scored. The BBS coach initiated the confrontation with Coach Morgan, and she was still trying to argue with him as he was being called to midcourt to be recognized for winning 600 games.

QUOTE(winndixie @ Feb 10 2007 - 10:50 PM) 826366899[/snapback]Great from Smith Co. fan. Your girls coach leaves the 6'8 girl in til the final horn or very close to it no matter what the score is. Takes all other starters out but leaves her to pad the stat sheet.

What's that got to do with the post? It's okay with me if you leave your 6'8" center in the whole game too.

QUOTE(tennesseebball @ Jan 27 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826348772[/snapback]IF you say so, I will accept that they can compete. But, typically 1A state tournament teams can't compete with 2A state tournament teams. Central is a perennial state tournament caliber program so I am not sure I am in agreement. Anyway, enough is enough. Good to banter with you and have a great weekend!

Your crazy if 1a state tournament teams couldn't compete with 2a state tournament teams...I would take Clarkrange and Red Boiling Springs at their best and play any team in the state of tennessee and promise it would be a good game...I would love to see Central that perennial powerhouse come to RBS or Crange and win...If you play Crange at their best at Crange they wouldn't stand a chance...