lanxter and shiverdecker change commits

ILuvsports

Alcoas kyrus lanxter and chris shiverdecker have both de-committed from their previous schools and will both sign with kentucky. Lanxter who has been committed to west virginia for months now has changed his mind after the wvu wrs coach left the program to take another job and also jumped at the chance to get to play with shiverdecker in college. Shiverdecker, pending an ACT score that qualifies, will also be attending uk. Kentucky coach randy sanders was at the alcoa-heritage basketball game tonight and visited with both players.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ILuvsports @ Jan 30 2007 - 11:56 PM) 826352673[/snapback]

Alcoas kyrus lanxter and chris shiverdecker have both de-committed from their previous schools and will both sign with kentucky. Lanxter who has been committed to west virginia for months now has changed his mind after the wvu wrs coach left the program to take another job and also jumped at the chance to get to play with shiverdecker in college. Shiverdecker, pending an ACT score that qualifies, will also be attending uk. Kentucky coach randy sanders was at the alcoa-heritage basketball game tonight and visited with both players.

Good for both of them. Kentucky snatched away Kenwood's talented defensive lineman Ricky Lumpkin last year and to add to their list this year they MIGHT wind up with Pearl Cohn's Rashad Mason (who visited there last weekend)

Could you imagine Kyrus Lanxter & Rashad Mason playing wide receiver for a team at the next level in a couple of years

There'd be a lot of SEC secondaries making this face right here:

QUOTE(Big Country @ Jan 31 2007 - 01:05 AM) 826352683[/snapback]

Good for both of them. Kentucky snatched away Kenwood's talented defensive lineman Ricky Lumpkin last year and to add to their list this year they MIGHT wind up with Pearl Cohn's Rashad Mason (who visited there last weekend)

Could you imagine Kyrus Lanxter & Rashad Mason playing wide receiver for a team at the next level in a couple of years

There'd be a lot of SEC secondaries making this face right here:

Only got to see Mason once, against Fulton this year. A Hoss. Brooks pulls this one off, and is worth every penny of that new contract. Lanxter closer to home, and Shiverdecker with D1 opportunity. Very nice. Congrats to them; and, their families.

Why would a players parents allow their child to decommit to any school. I told my kids if you give the coach your word and commit you must follow through and attend that school. I even took it one step forward and told them if they quit playing football or decided to transfer the school tuition would have to be paid for by them.

Just because you have not signed the NLI does not mean that your word should not be binding.

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 31 2007 - 01:17 PM) 826353274[/snapback]

Why would a players parents allow the to decommit to any school. I told my kids if you give the coach your word and commit you must follow through and attend that school. I even took it one step forward and told them if they quit playing football or decided to transfer they school tuition would have to be paid for by them.

Just because you have not signed the NLI does not mean that your word should not be binding.

I understand what you are saying! But, with that in mind....I had a player once thay got a offer from a college. The player wanted to take a couple of visits to be sure that is where he wanted to go. The coach that offered (there head coach) said that was no problem. He wanted him to look around and be sure. Assuring my player the offer stood! The player went to two more schools and then decided he would take the coach up on his offer. When he contacted the coach to commit the coach said the offer was not there anymore. So, if college coaches are going to play that game....so can the players. I suggest the kid to commit if he thinks he may want to go there. If he changes his mind then he has that right. It is cutthroat I know. It may not seem right?? But, what goes around can come around too?? I may be wrong, lord knows I have made my mistakes in life.

QUOTE(WARBOSS @ Jan 31 2007 - 01:36 PM) 826353310[/snapback]

I understand what you are saying! But, with that in mind....I had a player once thay got a offer from a college. The player wanted to take a couple of visits to be sure that is where he wanted to go. The coach that offered (there head coach) said that was no problem. He wanted him to look around and be sure. Assuring my player the offer stood! The player went to two more schools and then decided he would take the coach up on his offer. When he contacted the coach to commit the coach said the offer was not there anymore. So, if college coaches are going to play that game....so can the players. I suggest the kid to commit if he thinks he may want to go there. If he changes his mind then he has that right. It is cutthroat I know. It may not seem right?? But, what goes around can come around too?? I may be wrong, lord knows I have made my mistakes in life.

Just because a coach is not truthful has nothing to do with me or my family not being truthful. You or no one else can justify not being truthful, no matter how hard you try.

Do you really want one of your kids playing for a coach that was not a standup type of man like the coach that you spoke about?

We have all made mistakes over the course of our life but you can bet your sweet cheeks that if I tell you something you can take it to the bank and it will not bounce.

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 31 2007 - 01:58 PM) 826353343[/snapback]

Just because a coach is not truthful has nothing to do with me or my family not being truthful. You or no one else can justify not being truthful, no matter how hard you try.

Do you really want one of your kids playing for a coach that was not a standup type of man like the coach that you spoke about?

We have all made mistakes over the course of our life but you can bet your sweet cheeks that if I tell you something you can take it to the bank and it will not bounce.

I wish everyone was that way. It would be nice if you could take everyone for there word.

QUOTE(WARBOSS @ Jan 31 2007 - 03:09 PM) 826353358[/snapback]

I wish everyone was that way. It would be nice if you could take everyone for there word.

after coach sanders visited with chris he decided he would like to play for kentucky but it is still not a done deal for him. if he doesnt get the ACT score to get in he will attend carson-newman instead of going to prep school, which is what kentucky has said they will do with him. lanxter is 100 percent going to uk.

It's called changing your mind. Get real, quit being so dramatic. So what you are saying is that you have never changed your mind on something? To call a kid untruthful because he decommited is a stretch, wouldn't you think. It would only be untruthful if you could prove that the kid never really was going to attend that school anyway.

It's a big decision. A lot of moving parts. The statistics say he probably chooses his career path and future wife there.

I don't know the details so I don't know who gave whose word to whom. Don't care. They system is flawed.

Kids, 16yr old kids are being offered, and pressured to "verbally" commit in the spring/fall of their JR. year. They can't sign until Feb ? of their SR year. 18 months of various car salesman beating on you to buy their shiney new car. Then the newscasters, beat writers, recruiting services, alumni from the school all want you to re-verbally commit. While that happens, the same cast of characters from the other schools continue to pry from you something that they can frame as a "commit." Gotta keep subscriptions up.

Then the coach that recruited you gets offered a promotion @ a new school. Now you come to understand that the new school is better than the old school. Then you get an offer to play in a All Star game. You go, and find out that PT, and more stars are achieved by being aligned with a certain school, confrence, coach, or recruiting analyst.

Then you come home, look back 18 or so months, realize that the school you commited to got spanked in the last two bowl games, no longer has the same staff, position coach, or academic counsellors.

Toss in parents wishes that change, HS coahes, pastors, girlfriends, local employers etc.

You might say to yourself "I gave my word 18 months ago, and all I have received are words. Based on that I will make the decision that is best for me, and my future...which includes my career, and my spouse, and my children. And hopefully, if and when one of my children are blessed enough to be offered a scholarship, the coaches, newspaper writers, analysts, and fans will be held to the same standards that I am. Their word."

QUOTE(extremefury @ Feb 1 2007 - 02:33 PM) 826354714[/snapback]

It's called changing your mind. Get real, quit being so dramatic. So what you are saying is that you have never changed your mind on something? To call a kid untruthful because he decommited is a stretch, wouldn't you think. It would only be untruthful if you could prove that the kid never really was going to attend that school anyway.

Look, I am going to tell you one more time so you understand: I am a former D1 coach, I was a recruited athlete, my wife was a recruited athlete and I have one son that was a recruited athlete so I understand the business.

It is the parents responsibility to tell their child that they are to keep their mouth closed and not say a single word until they are sure where they want to go. If the coach pulls the offer there will be other offers. You select a school that you would want to attend even if athletics don't work out for you.

It's time that people in this world become "square jawed men" and take a stand for what is right and what is wrong. These young boy's need to start acting like men and understand that when they tell someone something, that the other person is depending on them to follow through and do what they said they would do even if it hurts. The reason so many kids transfer is because they have been spoiled by their parents and allowed to do what they want, when they want. Most kids today just have too much baby in them for me but most have never been the son of a coal miner.

Yes, I have made mistakes many times and I am still making them. I have also felt pain and financial loss because I followed up and did what I said that I would do.

It's not about changing your mind it's about being accountable for your actions and keeping your word. It's about being a man.