Official Thread: Miss Basketball

CoachT

QUOTE(aj1133 @ Feb 8 2007 - 01:15 PM) 826363646[/snapback]

Not extremely difficult to shoot a high percentege when 98% of her shot attempts are coming within 3 to 4 feet of the basket. Harpeth pleyed them in a playday this summer in which a 5'7 guard (Salem Richardson) who got physical with her shut her down. She will have her day because she is improving every game, this year Mandy Mendenhall should have her day. She has earned it over the course of this season and an extremely successful career. If you claim that classification should have nothing to do with it, I might agree if that was considered in year's past, however, if this is a cycle, then why should a player that was deserving of the honor last year, but didn't get it due to classification, why should she be penalized her senior year? Size can not be coached, talent and athleticism can. Ferris should not be penalized for being big, in fact she will be greatly rewarded for this very reason throughout her career in high school and with a nice scholarship should she want to play in college, but Mendenhall has talent and ability that is not normal in girl's high school basketball. Statistics do not reflect the overall importance of her to her team, who is 23-3 and only lost 1 game in the state of Tennessee.

Very good points aj1133, ALMOST. Smith County did play Harpeth twice. The first scrimmage was Kayci Ferriss's 1st scrimmage as a high school player. In that game that Ferris supposedly was "shut down" she had 18 points and 18 rebounds and 6 blocks. Smith County lost by 2. In the next scrimmage Ferris dominated the game and Smith County won. (sorry I do not have the stats for that game)

I am not here to speak negatively about any player, especially one of mendenhall's caliber, but I must respond to your comment about shooting 3-4 feet from the goal.

That is an illogical argument, and here is why: [1st] Tell Mendenhall to only shoot from 3-4 feet only. Thats right, she couldn't, which leads right in to my apples and oranges comparison. I wouldn't expect mendenhall too, while a great player, she is a diferent style player than ferris. Do you believe mendenhall has the defensive effect on a game that ferris does? [2nd] Ferris has racked up these stats with 2 and 3 people guarding her all year long.

Furthermore, stats do not reflect Ferris's importance to her team.

And it is an INSULT for you to imply that Ferris is just "BIG" and mendenhall has "talent and ability".

It is obvious Mendenhall does have talent and ability, and she is a great player. But your statement implies that Ferris does not have talent and ability and she is only big.

Mendenhall should be considered for this award.

FERRIS should also be considered for MISS BASKETBALL.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I specifically stated that Ferris should not be penalized for being big.

Secondly, she scored 14 of the first 16 points of the aforementioned scrimmage for her team before the Harpeth coach asked Richardson to guard her, that was mid to late 1st quarter, she scored 4 for the remainder of the game.

During the second of the two scrimmages, Harpeth was without one of their senior starters which caused them to match-up differently than they did in the first game they played.

Ferris's first scrimmage was also the first scrimmage for the Harpeth coach. That team and Mendenhall have improved a ton since then.

My guess if Mendenhall truly wanted to, without being a huge disruption to the team, she could shoot from 3 to 4 feet whenever she wanted to. That is not what is asked of her. She does not account for 85% of her teams offense because it would be detrimental to the team shoud she do that. No one, Ferris included, can keep Mendenhall from getting to the basket when she wants, or that has happened to this point in the season.

Finally, Mendenhall has absolutely been a tremendous defensive threat to opposition this year. In fact, over the course of the season there have only been a handful (I can seriously think of less than 5) of offensive plays or sets run against Harpeth due to the ball pressure that Mendenhall puts on opposing team's ball handlers.

I made sure not to say one negative thing about Ferris in either of my posts, I think she will be a great player and has tons of potential. Do I believe she is a better athlete or has more ability than Mendenhall, NO, but I am entitled to that opinion. If you tell me that her size isn't her greatest asset then I will have to say we must agree to disagree. If she were 5'8 rather than 6'8 we would not be having this discussion.

QUOTE(mdtennbasketball @ Feb 8 2007 - 01:52 PM) 826363706[/snapback]

Very good points aj1133, ALMOST. Smith County did play Harpeth twice. The first scrimmage was Kayci Ferriss's 1st scrimmage as a high school player. In that game that Ferris supposedly was "shut down" she had 18 points and 18 rebounds and 6 blocks. Smith County lost by 2. In the next scrimmage Ferris dominated the game and Smith County won. (sorry I do not have the stats for that game)

I am not here to speak negatively about any player, especially one of mendenhall's caliber, but I must respond to your comment about shooting 3-4 feet from the goal.

That is an illogical argument, and here is why: [1st] Tell Mendenhall to only shoot from 3-4 feet only. Thats right, she couldn't, which leads right in to my apples and oranges comparison. I wouldn't expect mendenhall too, while a great player, she is a diferent style player than ferris. Do you believe mendenhall has the defensive effect on a game that ferris does? [2nd] Ferris has racked up these stats with 2 and 3 people guarding her all year long.

Furthermore, stats do not reflect Ferris's importance to her team.

And it is an INSULT for you to imply that Ferris is just "BIG" and mendenhall has "talent and ability".

It is obvious Mendenhall does have talent and ability, and she is a great player. But your statement implies that Ferris does not have talent and ability and she is only big.

Mendenhall should be considered for this award.

FERRIS should also be considered for MISS BASKETBALL.

QUOTE(aj1133 @ Feb 8 2007 - 02:49 PM) 826363829[/snapback]

First of all, I specifically stated that Ferris should not be penalized for being big.

Secondly, she scored 14 of the first 16 points of the aforementioned scrimmage for her team before the Harpeth coach asked Richardson to guard her, that was mid to late 1st quarter, she scored 4 for the remainder of the game.

During the second of the two scrimmages, Harpeth was without one of their senior starters which caused them to match-up differently than they did in the first game they played.

Ferris's first scrimmage was also the first scrimmage for the Harpeth coach. That team and Mendenhall have improved a ton since then.

My guess if Mendenhall truly wanted to, without being a huge disruption to the team, she could shoot from 3 to 4 feet whenever she wanted to. That is not what is asked of her. She does not account for 85% of her teams offense because it would be detrimental to the team shoud she do that. No one, Ferris included, can keep Mendenhall from getting to the basket when she wants, or that has happened to this point in the season.

Finally, Mendenhall has absolutely been a tremendous defensive threat to opposition this year. In fact, over the course of the season there have only been a handful (I can seriously think of less than 5) of offensive plays or sets run against Harpeth due to the ball pressure that Mendenhall puts on opposing team's ball handlers.

I made sure not to say one negative thing about Ferris in either of my posts, I think she will be a great player and has tons of potential. Do I believe she is a better athlete or has more ability than Mendenhall, NO, but I am entitled to that opinion. If you tell me that her size isn't her greatest asset then I will have to say we must agree to disagree. If she were 5'8 rather than 6'8 we would not be having this discussion.

What you both need to do is pay the $12 to become plus members and have these discussions privately.

QUOTE(sydspencer @ Feb 10 2007 - 12:14 PM) 826366213[/snapback]

abby andrews is a great player, but you gotta mention laken leonard from red boiling springs, she can do it all .

I was intentionally going through this post hunting for laken leonard's name and was thinking what's everybody thinking, when I ran across her name. Definitely. Lake Leonard, freshmen from Red Boiling Springs, should be among the names listed here for Ms. Basketball. The statement sydspencer made "she can do it all" is very truthful. She can play any position on the floor and be very effective. From point guard to post she's got. She's a team player that wants to play for a winning team no matter whose in the spotlight. That may be some of the touchy feely stuff some of you were talking about earlier but when you're looking for a Division I player that's what it takes. Good players, awesome players with a winning attitude that creates plays from any spot on the floor. 5, 6, or 7 great players don't make a good team. great players, with a great desire to win, and wonderful attitudes make great teams. Laken has it all and should be at the top of the list for Ms. Basketball candidates. Keep it up laken, you'll get to the top even if you have to take the long road.