Wartburg

knight2

Good Coaches over acheive.... the main person in this topic has never had an over acheiving team? The team that went to state, went to state because they had alot of talent. The past years after that team left, Wartburg hasn't been a huge threat in Morgan County middle school basketball. Look at Oakdale.... Coach Snow is a good coach because he makes his teams over achieve. I know another coach that in middle school had a two year period where his regular season record was like 25-2. He was not a good coach. There was alot of talent. Good coaches make the best of their talent not make excuses because players are short? Run. Players not dedicated? Don't play them. Simply put. and NXT Tour, I see things about like you. BUT He is the best canidate, so If *&*^* Coaches I'll support him like I wuold support any coach. I'll recognize success and point out failure. Because Ima parent and I have the right to. HAHA.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Master,

I guess to a point you are right. A good coach gets his teams to overachieve. I remember the two years before Jason got to the middle school they lost a ton of games. I don't know what the records were but I think one year they only won about 6 games out of about 24. The program was way down. I think the job he did his first year was as good a coaching job as I've seen in middle school since Tonya. He had one player returning with experience and developed an inside game with freels and bunch. The fact is his teams get better every time they play. If you had seen the team play this year you would know they did run. The reason that many of the girls quit is because he did not play them due to their lack of passion. The fact is we will see what he can do in a very short time. Next year is only our next loss away and while I'm not wishing a loss on the girls I do think the community will be very pleased with what happens at CHS next year. Oakdale didn't overacheive very much this year. They were a very good and talented team. You can't say that a team that went to the TMSAA Final Four and only lost like 3 games i think in the district is lacking talent. However, you are correct in saying that Snow is a great coach. He took his lumbs a year ago while building a foundation for this year's great run. I think that is the same thing Jason did at CMS. The thing is Jason set the program up for next year. He could have maybe won 2 or 3 more games with some older kids, but he chose to play the hard working, aggressive 7th graders in hopes that they would make it to the TMSAA Sectionals next year. Jason and Heath are very similar in my opinion.

As a sidebar I think Dallas Davis has done a very good job with his team this year. I think that 3rd in the dist was in your words an over achievement. What do you think?

Also, what do you think systematically will change from Dallas to Jason! I've seen Jason's teams play in middle school but this past year when they were playing their best ball and went on that 8-3 or 9-3 run to close the year they didn't slow down long enough for me to tell what they were running. It was fastbreak......3 ball......fastbreak......layup. Just

wondering.

Does anyone know what the situation is with the football coach anyway? I'm hearing all kinds of rumors about this coach is coming, or that coach is coming. Has LD quit?

Heath has done a great job with Oakdale because he teahes his girls how to play the game the right way and then he gets them to play their butts off. Playing harder than their opponents is why Oakdale advanced out of the Area 2 Tournament and into the sectional semis. They actually outplayed Rogersville for the most part, but the big girl from Rogersville was too much for the Lady Eagles. She was basically 6 inches taller than anybody Oakdale had and she could play.

I didn't see Wartburg as much as Oakdale, but it appeared to me that Wartburg's girls also played very hard.

FYI---

Coach Tonya Snyder completed her season at Clinton with a 14-13 record this year, playing primarily freshmen and sophomores. She enjoys a great relationship with her players and is looking forward to next season with the return of her entire roster except for one graduating senior. She seems to be on the way to turning things around in Clinton!

I'm not sure but it usually takes middle school coaches a year or two to develope into High school coaches, because the game is much different. I think Jason will do a fine job though. Every girl that has every played for him liked him, and that is the only thing that matters. Do I like him? It doesn't matter because the girls that are on the floor and go to practice and work as hard as they can everyday like him. I would rather it be a more ima coach your a player than im your friend and your my friend, but It seems like that method of coaching is becoming more common and it becoming successful. If the players love their coach and they win because they trust him; I'm all for it. Who is coaching Middle school girls next year? Any prospects?

QUOTE(planker017 @ Feb 20 2007 - 04:01 PM) 826381476[/snapback]The football coach is the School Superintends Cousin …Jason’s Dad…you get the picture SCW86?

Yes, I know that the two are related-Mike Davis has been in Morgan County education for years -he was an elementary teacher when I was in first or second grade. Politics typically previal in most small county school systems; as sad as that is. I realize this isn't a football post and secondly I, among others, have simply worn the Larry Davis topic out. But I think it's downright tragic that the naysayers are burning up the keyboards against a kid who hasn't even been given a chance at the high school level; and there still exists the chance that a football team will add another dreadful chapter to an already dismal book because someone won't put their foot down and tell a certain someone to take the train. So,yes I get the picture......it's clear as mud.

QUOTE(OLDSCHOOL44 @ Feb 26 2007 - 11:27 AM) 826390013[/snapback]It's not about giving the kid a chance it's more about the way they are doing the coach that we have had for 20 somthing years I guess blood is thicker than water

Hey, I'll agree with you on that point-keep in mind that I've known Dallas Davis 20+ years and I am a former student and player of his and he's a good man and a good coach. But if the younger guy is taking the reigns now I just don't think he should fall under so much scrutiny while yet another Davis has led the football team down two 0-10 paths and no change is being made-that's all I'm saying.

Well, since this thread says wartburg Next Year lets discuss what next season may hold.

I'm thinking the district could break down in a very interesting way. Could the dogs get in to the finals of the district or the region? I'm thinking it is entirely possible. Just wondering what everyone else is expecting.

Here's how I see the Dist rounding out! Wartburg and Oakdale should be very close in standings.

O.S.

Oakdale/Wartburg

Oakdale/Wartburg

Oneida

Coalfield

Sunbright

Also, I'm not hearing who will be taking the Middle School Program over. I know Tonya Justes assisted Jason this year. Is there any chance she could be the coach? If not her who might do it? Wright? Napier? Williams? just wondering.

I think that everyone needs to give some time on the football front also. I trust those in power to do what is right for the program. I dont think that 0-20 will be ignored!

That district on the girls side is going to be very strong next year. O.S. will still have the team to beat until proven otherwise. Oakdale looks like they're going to be in solid shape. Wartburg and Coalfield both are going to turn some heads because they're both definitely on an upswing. And Oneida is a team you can't count out. Basically, you're going to have 5 GOOD teams in that region next year and what's going to be a shame is one of these teams won't even get out of the district tournament.