SHHS Basketball

BroadwayBaller

What is up with SHHS? Not knocking DB, but how can a team blow out the number 1 team in the state (Greeneville at the time), and then not even be able to keep it close against the Indians. A lot of credit is due to DB, most of it even, but, SHHS is not consistent when it comes to playing hard, or shooting well. How do they fix this UP and DOWN tendency. In the postseason you have to play well, for AT LEAST 6-8 games if you want to make it to state. I haven't seen them put together a streak of longer than 5 when they are really playing well and together.

What is the solution?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BroadwayBaller @ Feb 7 2007 - 10:36 AM) 826361863[/snapback]

What is up with SHHS? Not knocking DB, but how can a team blow out the number 1 team in the state (Greeneville at the time), and then not even be able to keep it close against the Indians. A lot of credit is due to DB, most of it even, but, SHHS is not consistent when it comes to playing hard, or shooting well. How do they fix this UP and DOWN tendency. In the postseason you have to play well, for AT LEAST 6-8 games if you want to make it to state. I haven't seen them put together a streak of longer than 5 when they are really playing well and together.

What is the solution?

Greenville was overrated and everybody knew it. To be a true #1 ranked team from East Tn. you will have to beat everybody you play by 20-30 points. Greenville struggled to beat a lot of weak teams in this area. I don't think there is a true top 10 team in "UPPER EAST TN." Science Hill was probably playing over their head in those games you say they played well in. They only have one good player.

There are a lot of teams out there that wish they were 27-6. DB is a better team than you. Sorry you can't understand that. Science Hill is not/has not been in awhile/will never be again as good as the teams in the late '80's-early '90's. 27-6, (including seven in a row and 9 of the last ten), with the talent currently there is a really good year. You have been spoiled.

QUOTE(BroadwayBaller @ Feb 7 2007 - 10:36 AM) 826361863[/snapback]

What is the solution?

Not sure the solution but obviously all is not paradise at the Topper Palace. I heard that a few players have quit the team and Wattad is playing frustrated unlike the player we have seen for the last few years (I'm sure Coty had something to do with that both times this year). Nobody has stepped up besides Omar though so you can't really fault him. Omar seemed more frustrated than usual because he argued everything with the refs and I don't think I have seen him do that before. Anywho...the 2nd season is getting ready to start so anything can happen

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Feb 7 2007 - 07:30 PM) 826362580[/snapback]

Charlie Morgan doesn't want a star player on his team. He's said that to the press. Maybe its this kind of situation he's trying to avoid. He may have gotten a late start this year, but Morgan has built a team.

I think Coty being hurt inadvertantly helped Coach Morgan NOT have a star on his team. I don't think the Toppers had a choice. IF OMAR wasn't a star player they WOULD BE MEDIOCRE at best. DB is a much deeper team. I don't think Coty is a better individual player than Omar, but I think his supporting cast is FAR BETTER than the guys at SHHS. Answer this hypothetical: Which team would do better, SHHS or DB IF you traded Omar for Coty. I don;t know. I think DB would do better with Omar than SHHS with Coty. NOT because OMAR is SO MUCH better, but because the guys at DB would support OMar, where as the guys at SHHS wouldn't support Coty. I feel bad for Wattad, If he was at greeneville, you have a state contender. If he was at DB you have a state contender. You put him on SHHS, they might contend in region. the problem isn't wattad, or his attitude, or his sportsmanship, the problem is NO TEAM in shhs

QUOTE(BroadwayBaller @ Feb 7 2007 - 10:23 PM) 826362819[/snapback]

I think Coty being hurt inadvertantly helped Coach Morgan NOT have a star on his team. I don't think the Toppers had a choice. IF OMAR wasn't a star player they WOULD BE MEDIOCRE at best. DB is a much deeper team. I don't think Coty is a better individual player than Omar, but I think his supporting cast is FAR BETTER than the guys at SHHS. Answer this hypothetical: Which team would do better, SHHS or DB IF you traded Omar for Coty. I don;t know. I think DB would do better with Omar than SHHS with Coty. NOT because OMAR is SO MUCH better, but because the guys at DB would support OMar, where as the guys at SHHS wouldn't support Coty. I feel bad for Wattad, If he was at greeneville, you have a state contender. If he was at DB you have a state contender. You put him on SHHS, they might contend in region. the problem isn't wattad, or his attitude, or his sportsmanship, the problem is NO TEAM in shhs

ABSOLUTELY!! Well said BroadwayBaller. Omar is an excellent athlete. He just can't do it all by himself. I still think Coty has got him beat by a mile though. DB has some great balling going right now. Sensabaugh, Throp, and Sylvester are hard to stop right now!!

QUOTE(BroadwayBaller @ Feb 7 2007 - 10:23 PM) 826362819[/snapback]

I am in no way knocking Wattad for being the star of his club. I'm just saying that Morgan will not let a "star" mentality develop. He would not have let it develop even if Coty had been "online" the entire season. If Wattad were at DB, nobody on the team nor Wattad himself would have considered Wattad to be a star. As you say, the team would accept him because they would consider him to be just another member of the team. Its all about team with Morgan - and thats a very good thing.

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Feb 7 2007 - 11:03 PM) 826362917[/snapback]

I am in no way knocking Wattad for being the star of his club. I'm just saying that Morgan will not let a "star" mentality develop. He would not have let it develop even if Coty had been "online" the entire season. If Wattad were at DB, nobody on the team nor Wattad himself would have considered Wattad to be a star. As you say, the team would accept him because they would consider him to be just another member of the team. Its all about team with Morgan - and thats a very good thing.

Agreed