GREENBACK WINS REGION-2 TOURNAMENT

THEANIMAL

QUOTE(GFD756 @ Feb 10 2007 - 09:55 PM) 826366728[/snapback]

yeah but i actually think they have like 270 something,and are only graduating 2 seniors and one didn't wrestle at the tourney.eddie (long) congrats for being outstanding wrestler, but gary sluder really stepped up against krammer from william blount.good job nation

TSSAA lists Greenback's highschool enrollment as 255. The coach says it has fallen to below 230 in the last year or so. Adding 8th graders may get another 30 kids, ( there is 1 8th grader starting on the team ) regardless, it is pretty darn small. Figure aprox half the students are girls, Greenback's total wrestling team of 25 kids ( give or take a couple ) is a significant percentage of the total male student body. Terrific recuiting job by their young coach.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 11 2007 - 09:28 AM) 826367132[/snapback]

Congratulations to Greenback!!! This is an example of what hard work and dedication will do for someone.

What is the deal with Farragut, Maryville & Bearden? Those schools are large enough and have the financial resources to compete with any team in Tennessee but I never see them doing much of anything. Yes they have a few good individuals but their teams are on the bottom and they don't seem to be getting beter. Are their schools adminstration not supporting them or is it coaching and offseason training that they are lacking?

I think maryville is having a problem taking the team to the next level not because of finances or coaching, but becuase now its so tough to get the athletes off the football field and onto the wrestling mat. Football at maryville is basically a year round sport and the team is VERY successful so upcoming freshmen are going to chose football over wrestling pretty much every time.

QUOTE(Reb Wrestler @ Feb 11 2007 - 11:38 AM) 826367210[/snapback]

I think maryville is having a problem taking the team to the next level not because of finances or coaching, but becuase now its so tough to get the athletes off the football field and onto the wrestling mat. Football at maryville is basically a year round sport and the team is VERY successful so upcoming freshmen are going to chose football over wrestling pretty much every time.

Yes, but what you need is an AD/head football coach to promote wrestling to his team. Football can't be a year round sport per regulations, but it can be in the weight room, etc. I know that football players, linemen, etc. would be better off having wrestled rather than having lifted all winter.

Of course this is just my [biased] opinion...

QUOTE(THEANIMAL @ Feb 10 2007 - 10:48 PM) 826366716[/snapback]

HOW CAN A SCHOOL OF ONLY 230 STUDENTS COMPETE WITH SCHOOLS THAT ARE AS MUCH AS 10 TIMES LARGER? I DON'T KNOW BUT GREENBACK, A SMALL COUNTRY SCHOOL IN LOUDON COUNTY, BEAT THE OTHER 24 SCHOOLS IN THE REGION-2 WRESTLING TOURNAMENT TODAY. THIS VICTORY WAS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING THINGS I HAVE SEEN IN SPORTS.

I SALUTE THE GREENBACK NATION,

THE AMINAL

Coach,

The only correction I would

make to your salute is this. Large schools are > 1000, some have over 2000. Small schools are < 1000. Greenback is a Teeny-Tiny school of less than 300 - which makes what they have done there that much more spectacular. They came to the Father Ryan Invitational this year and gave a pretty scary preview to what happened in their Region. Seymour is a great example of a strong small school. Both of these programs are putting in time and really doing alot for the sport. You gotta love it.

Marc Taylor / Franklin Road Academy - student population 283

Congratulations to Greenback!!! The Greenback program is living proof that with school support, family support, hard work, and dedication tht a school the size of Greenback can compete with larger schools. They truley stand by the term "The Nation." The problem with schools the size of Maryville, Bearden, and Farragut is NO support from the schools or football coaches. Football coaches have this fantasy that lifting in the winter will makes these kids big and powerful like a D1 athlete. NOT going to happen because they are KIDS! Wrestling is perfect for football. Any athlete in the NFL will tell you that.

Greenback is also proof that at individual tournaments it doesn't matter what size school you come from. Good luck to all Region 2 wrestlers at the state tournament.

QUOTE(rushn @ Feb 11 2007 - 11:51 AM) 826367266[/snapback]

Coach,

The only correction I would

make to your salute is this. Large schools are > 1000, some have over 2000. Small schools are

Marc- FRA would look like Princeton to the kids at Greenback. FRA has some of the top kids/picks on that side of town going there. Greenback gets what the good Lord gives them. Visit Greenback it's like the school in Hoosiers. Great community where everyone knows your name.

The two are not similar except in size and heart.

QUOTE(Reb Wrestler @ Feb 11 2007 - 10:38 AM) 826367210[/snapback]

Same at Farragut but without the State Championships!

Quote from Greenback Coach:

"Wrestling has fit our school well," he said. "And the community has really welcomed it with open arms and been really supportive."

This year at Hendersonville, I was told that the locale press said they didn't want to cover WRESTLING is because no one in the community cared about it. Yes, I wrote a hot letter and they seam to give us our fair share of space.

We all have to fight for this sport we love and know makes our kids better people.

The wrestling team at Maryville receives almost 0 support. Our matches are not announced to the students, and our AD wears a Maryville BASKETBALL shirt to our home matches, and he only stays as long as he has to. Our wrestling team is more successful than our basketball team, yet we dont get any credit, and our lockeroom is cramped while the basketball team's lockeroom has leather couches and big screen tv's. I can guess the other larger schools in the region hardly receive any support either.

QUOTE(rigger101 @ Feb 11 2007 - 04:24 PM) 826367401[/snapback]

Marc- FRA would look like Princeton to the kids at Greenback. FRA has some of the top kids/picks on that side of town going there. Greenback gets what the good Lord gives them. Visit Greenback it's like the school in Hoosiers. Great community where everyone knows your name.

The two are not similar except in size and heart.

We are fortunate to live on "The Row", Father Ryan a mile to the right, and Overton 5 steps to the left. Brentwood 10 minutes south and Franklin just past that with our new neighbor Ravenwood. All of the coaches have to run from side to side constantly to avoid being hit by the wrestlers that fall out of the trees around here.

The Princeton part I'll grant you though - I'll take you on a tour

We haven't been to Greenback, but have been to the Eagle duals in Seymour before. Great people, beautiful country. I think it has much more to do with the Lord inspiring Coach Ridge and Coach McCroskey to work their butts off and give their kids huge doses work ethic and the focus to compete with the best of the best.

I started a wrestling team with only a year's experience as an assistant coach and no wrestling experience. The Principal lent me 1000.00 from the general atheletic fund to start the program. I paid it back at the end of the first year and from that point on found ways to pay wrestlings own way. By the end of my tme coaching we were traveling to tournamnents in Middle Tennessee, Illinois, Ohio, and Georgia and doing quite well. Granted a blind hog finds an acron every once in a while and I found more than my share.

The Administration at my school gave me a master key so they would not have to come to wrestling meets and tournaments. The only support they gave me is that they let me coach and have a team.

Very rarely did I have a football player out for wrestling, it would have helped. Those football players who did come out usually did not last long because they could not stand the discipline or the conditioning. I took every one who came out. Many years I had more kids out for wrestling than the football team had.

I got plenty of publicity because I called everyone who could possibly give me some, local shoppers, the original Knoxville Journal, the News Sentinel and every TV station in town. Never failed to call in meets, win or lose. I got to know any reporter, print or TV, who could do a story about our team. As a matter of fact our wrestling program was one of the Journal's top ten stories in 1984. As far as getting publicity in your school, get to know the person who makes the announcements and make sure you write an announcement before a meet and the results after, create your own excitement.

You can't worry about the "ifs", you have to work to be a successful wrestling program. You recruit your school. I went to middle school football games, rec league softball games, baseball games, Christmas plays, school plays, band concerts, visited parents, and on ocassion to court, anything to get the kids I needed. You can check out the cross country team, the soccer team, establish a rapport with the football coach, talk to the kids the basketball coach cuts, look at the kids who are behavior problems, talk to kids who are having trouble with grades and find them a tutor, talk to parents, go to middle schools and put on clinics. In other words sell your program to everyone you meet.

Don't sit around and whine that you just can't get kids out, get off your backside and go to work. Find out why Seymour and Greenback are successful. Get to know Steve Logsden, Turner Jackson, Jim Morgan, Gordon McConnell, The Simpson brothers, Steve Henry, Chris Vandergriff, Bill Brimer, David Hollowell and the myriad other successful coaches in Tennessee.

All I ever got from my administration, on rare ocassions, was an "Attaboy". My desire to have the best team possible and the responsibility that I owed to my wrestlers and their parents to do my best, made me work hard. Bottom line, developing successful wrestling program is a 24/7 year round job, not that your are wrestling and coaching all of that time, but you are constantly aware of what you have to do to be successful.

QUOTE(Jackson @ Feb 11 2007 - 07:31 PM) 826367629[/snapback]

I started a wrestling team with only a year's experience as an assistant coach and no wrestling experience. The Principal lent me 1000.00 from the general atheletic fund to start the program. I paid it back at the end of the first year and from that point on found ways to pay wrestlings own way. By the end of my tme coaching we were traveling to tournamnents in Middle Tennessee, Illinois, Ohio, and Georgia and doing quite well. Granted a blind hog finds an acron every once in a while and I found more than my share.

The Administration at my school gave me a master key so they would not have to come to wrestling meets and tournaments. The only support they gave me is that they let me coach and have a team.

Very rarely did I have a football player out for wrestling, it would have helped. Those football players who did come out usually did not last long because they could not stand the discipline or the conditioning. I took every one who came out. Many years I had more kids out for wrestling than the football team had.

I got plenty of publicity because I called everyone who could possibly give me some, local shoppers, the original Knoxville Journal, the News Sentinel and every TV station in town. Never failed to call in meets, win or lose. I got to know any reporter, print or TV, who could do a story about our team. As a matter of fact our wrestling program was one of the Journal's top ten stories in 1984. As far as getting publicity in your school, get to know the person who makes the announcements and make sure you write an announcement before a meet and the results after, create your own excitement.

You can't worry about the "ifs", you have to work to be a successful wrestling program. You recruit your school. I went to middle school football games, rec league softball games, baseball games, Christmas plays, school plays, band concerts, visited parents, and on ocassion to court, anything to get the kids I needed. You can check out the cross country team, the soccer team, establish a rapport with the football coach, talk to the kids the basketball coach cuts, look at the kids who are behavior problems, talk to kids who are having trouble with grades and find them a tutor, talk to parents, go to middle schools and put on clinics. In other words sell your program to everyone you meet.

Don't sit around and whine that you just can't get kids out, get off your backside and go to work. Find out why Seymour and Greenback are successful. Get to know Steve Logsden, Turner Jackson, Jim Morgan, Gordon McConnell, The Simpson brothers, Steve Henry, Chris Vandergriff, Bill Brimer, David Hollowell and the myriad other successful coaches in Tennessee.

All I ever got from my administration, on rare ocassions, was an "Attaboy". My desire to have the best team possible and the responsibility that I owed to my wrestlers and their parents to do my best, made me work hard. Bottom line, developing successful wrestling program is a 24/7 year round job, not that your are wrestling and coaching all of that time, but you are constantly aware of what you have to do to be successful.

well said...coach mccroskey has done a WONDERFUL job at seymour...he started with a few youth wrestlers and built on it...everyone on the team, parents, and coaches recruit for our team...kids playing football need to recognize that wrestling does go hand and hand with football...we have tons of wrestlers that play football..for example on our middle school team..we have 60 plus kids playing football and believe it or ot...6 runningbacks and they ALL ARE WRESTLERS...the agilty these kids have is unbelievable..and i personally credit it to the wrestling training...we have 1 kid we recruited this year from middle school football..hes an eighth grader from bosnia...he said wrestling practice is much harder than the three hour in the heat football practices...

and it also makes kids much more aggressive on the field...when ya have an 85lb wrestler on the football team going up against a 240lb 6 foot 8th grader..some would and have said" hes gonna get hurt" but to him...

its just a double leg takedown