Baseball Etiquette and Questions for E5

RUBlind!!!

QUOTE(In10city @ Apr 19 2007 - 01:51 AM) 826440835[/snapback]Slyder,

I've made this a year round thing with very little change in "costume". Here are three hints to help:

1. Scout out the concession stand before you commit to attend.

2. Look for lesser known events to "scout" during off season (e.g. Bowling, Soil or Horse Judging, Marching Band, Culinary Arts, etc.)

3. Adjust scout costume as necessary for above (e.g. remove Oakleys and pullover for inside stuff, adjust bill position of baseball cap for various disciplines, replace Juggs gun for metronome, thermometer, etc.).

Hope this helps!

Sound advice! I actually am multi-faceted when it comes to sports and sports knowledge. I could make this a special, maybe get a book deal like CC and E5 have done. I, however, am not into lesser events. I am going for college and big time high school crashing... like Gumshoe U or Broke Back Mountain Culinary School. I will get into high wrestling scouting because I love Triple H! But my first love and expertise is baseball. I hope I am not precieved as arrogant.

So who has the best concession stands?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Slyder @ Apr 19 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826440970[/snapback]Sound advice! I actually am multi-faceted when it comes to sports and sports knowledge. I could make this a special, maybe get a book deal like CC and E5 have done. I, however, am not into lesser events. I am going for college and big time high school crashing... like Gumshoe U or Broke Back Mountain Culinary School. I will get into high wrestling scouting because I love Triple H! But my first love and expertise is baseball. I hope I am not precieved as arrogant.

So who has the best concession stands?

Sparta sells a "Sparta Dog" that looks like a baby arm.

Pinto beans @ Wilson Central were excellent, I hear.

Siegal used to have that Italian Ice stuff. Hendersonville also has it at their football and basketball games in case it's the off season. (Try the blue; it's not the best but then the blue lips make it fun.)

Chicken sandwiches @ Lebanon were pretty darn good.

Cheese sticks @ Smyrna, I think. Maybe at Mt. Juliet too.

Can't remember exactly where (in a very rural part of Kentucky), but a few years ago, I got a country ham sandwich that was truly amazing. Home grown tomatoes, fresh lettuce, the works.

Oh wait a minute. Maybe that was on one of my horse judging scoutings.

On a side note, I recently discovered that high school softball tournaments have the absolute best hospitality "rooms". What advice (rules, equipment needed, lesser known colleges with softball teams, etc.) can ya'll give me to make sure I can add softball to my scouting repertoire?

Stategery advice needed.

E5, if you were coaching against "Backside Bill" and were utilizing the left handed shortstopsmen, would he be more effective if slipped into the "Rover" position? I have considered this move, especially against left handed hitters. I think by making this shift, I could play him between the pitcher and the 3rd base line. Thus, freeing up the the 3rd baseman to back up the hindcatcher on base hits in the gap and allowing the picher to become the relay man. What do you think of this strategery?

KING, HOPE YOU DONT MIND MY OPINIONS, AS E5 AND I HAVE SHARED MANY STORIES ON THE PREVENT INFIELD DEFENSE. THE ONLY QUESTION I HAVE IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN ON ANY LINE DRIVES HIT OFF THE SHIN OR KNEES OF THE 3RD BASEMAN? ONCE HE GOES DOWN, WHO HAS 2ND AND 3RD BASE RESPONSIBLITIES?

ONE THING YOU MIGHT CONSIDER IS ELIMINATING YOUR CENTERFIELDER ALTOGETHER AND PLAYING WITH TWO CATCHERS:ONE ON EACH FOUL LINE. THIS IS ESPECIALLY HELPFUL WHEN PLAYING ON FIELDS WITH A BRICK/BLOCK BACKSTOP AND NO PADDING AND ONE UMPIRE IN THE FIELD.

YOU WILL WANT TO HEAR E5'S EXPLANATION OF THE NEW VOLLEYBALL ROTATION-STYLE BUNT COVERAGES HE HAS DEVISED.

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ Apr 19 2007 - 09:52 AM) 826440986[/snapback]Sparta sells a "Sparta Dog" that looks like a baby arm.

CC and E5...I need your help. Went to Turkey Trot and watched some ball this week, again as a scout for the yankees. Got in and ate for free AGAIN. Greens and beans with Aunt Martha's Sweet Tea! Oh my gosh. The head coach for Turkey Trot High wanted me to watch his catcher. He told me about some numbers or something, then as I was eating some homemade peach ice cream, he mentioned "pop time". I laughed as I was thinking he was refrencing how much I had eaten. But obviously this is a baseball term and it involves his catcher. The catcher did have 5 hits but only 2 were homeruns and he was throwing the ball to second base way to hard and actually a little low to the ground. But his coach likes him? Must have a good looking mom.

But, have either of you written a baseball terminology book that someone like me can read? I cannot fulfill a life long dream if the experts only gives me partial information. Not being critical, just requesting all the facts.

E5, after a long and gut wrenching season...how's the legs holding up? Still falling asleep?

QUOTE(Slyder @ Apr 22 2007 - 01:59 PM) 826442847[/snapback]CC and E5...I need your help. Went to Turkey Trot and watched some ball this week, again as a scout for the yankees. Got in and ate for free AGAIN. Greens and beans with Aunt Martha's Sweet Tea! Oh my gosh. The head coach for Turkey Trot High wanted me to watch his catcher. He told me about some numbers or something, then as I was eating some homemade peach ice cream, he mentioned "pop time". I laughed as I was thinking he was refrencing how much I had eaten. But obviously this is a baseball term and it involves his catcher. The catcher did have 5 hits but only 2 were homeruns and he was throwing the ball to second base way to hard and actually a little low to the ground. But his coach likes him? Must have a good looking mom.

But, have either of you written a baseball terminology book that someone like me can read? I cannot fulfill a life long dream if the experts only gives me partial information. Not being critical, just requesting all the facts.

E5, after a long and gut wrenching season...how's the legs holding up? Still falling asleep?

Pop time is a term that refers to the catchers throw to second. You start the watch when it hits the catchers glove and then stop it when it hits the glove @ second base.

When you scout, you might want to take a stopwatch and time that along with the pitchers delivery time to the plate. Those are a couple of the things scouts time.

QUOTE(JohnDoe @ Apr 23 2007 - 07:48 AM) 826443212[/snapback]Pop time is a term that refers to the catchers throw to second. You start the watch when it hits the catchers glove and then stop it when it hits the glove @ second base.

When you scout, you might want to take a stopwatch and time that along with the pitchers delivery time to the plate. Those are a couple of the things scouts time.

John thinks we are serious here...sarcasm!

Thanks for asking about the legs. They really bothered me this weekend. I also scouted, but looking at pitchers. I used the count and gozinto method for speed instead of the gun and had to hunker down alot.

"pop" time is a term we use for how long it takes other scouts to pop a top on a cold drink to the time he finishes. John Doe is way off base. I agree that sizeable hump in the throw to second makes it easier for the CFer to cover on the steal. That leaves the middle infielders in the "regular" position.

QUOTE(E5 @ Apr 23 2007 - 09:35 AM) 826443297[/snapback]John thinks we are serious here...sarcasm!

Thanks for asking about the legs. They really bothered me this weekend. I also scouted, but looking at pitchers. I used the count and gozinto method for speed instead of the gun and had to hunker down alot.

"pop" time is a term we use for how long it takes other scouts to pop a top on a cold drink to the time he finishes. John Doe is way off base. I agree that sizeable hump in the throw to second makes it easier for the CFer to cover on the steal. That leaves the middle infielders in the "regular" position.

E5,

I read, with great interest, all of your ideas on developing submarine pitchers and you had several good techniques. So I am certain you would have several ideas on how to get your hindcatcher to make the throw to 2nd without throwing it so fast and close to the ground. What drills and practice equipment would I need to get my catcher throwing the long toss to 2nd with the hump in the middle?

QUOTE(Homerun King @ Apr 23 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826443303[/snapback]E5,

I read, with great interest, all of your ideas on developing submarine pitchers and you had several good techniques. So I am certain you would have several ideas on how to get your hindcatcher to make the throw to 2nd without throwing it so fast and close to the ground. What drills and practice equipment would I need to get my catcher throwing the long toss to 2nd with the hump in the middle?

I don't mean to butt in here, but I have seen some great drills for this. After BP, roll the cage up about 15 feet toward the pitchers mound. Have about 15 of your strongest players carry the Iron Mike on to the field (set it about 10 feet in front of the plate) Then, have the catcher assume his recieving position. Set the Iron Mike on "Pro" and let your catcher receive and then throw to 2nd. His throw must travel over the BP cage and land near 2nd base. If you want to check your timing, have your centerfielder start at his position, and then sprint to 2nd after the ball is thrown.

CC

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ Apr 23 2007 - 12:06 PM) 826443431[/snapback]I don't mean to butt in here, but I have seen some great drills for this. After BP, roll the cage up about 15 feet toward the pitchers mound. Have about 15 of your strongest players carry the Iron Mike on to the field (set it about 10 feet in front of the plate) Then, have the catcher assume his recieving position. Set the Iron Mike on "Pro" and let your catcher receive and then throw to 2nd. His throw must travel over the BP cage and land near 2nd base. If you want to check your timing, have your centerfielder start at his position, and then sprint to 2nd after the ball is thrown.

CC

cc I hear you look like a mix between chewbaka and cooter off the dukes of hazzard! No wonder your boys listen to you! Sound scary!