Miss Basketball

vandyfan67

QUOTE(Overton County Fan @ Feb 19 2007 - 03:01 PM) 826379440[/snapback]Its kinda strange that Kayci Ferris is good enough to be nominated for Miss Basketball but didn't get the MVP for her district...? May just be because she is a freshman though...

She isn't even the best freshman I saw this year. Laken Leonard and Molly Heady are both head and shoulders better than her.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Termite

QUOTE(66wildcat @ Feb 20 2007 - 12:57 PM) 826381158[/snapback]She isn't even the best freshman I saw this year. Laken Leonard and Molly Heady are both head and shoulders better than her.

While I may agree that Laken Leonard may be the best Freshman I saw too, there is no way Heady can compete. Heady is a good player and will only get better

at this point in time Leonard and Ferris are the best. Also each one of these bring something different to the table....so it's really hard to compare these 2.

I would put Heady and Dyer a 1/2 step behind Leonard and fERRIS

QUOTE(Alan Shore @ Feb 20 2007 - 08:43 AM) 826380718[/snapback]I'm just wondering......if Delk wins Ms. Basketball, will they present 2 awards? One to her and one to whoever is coaching her from the stands......

If you think this comment is funny, you are wrong. Gwen Delk is a classy young lady, just as her whole family has class. It sounds to me like you could use some.

QUOTE(Termite @ Feb 20 2007 - 01:45 PM) 826381263[/snapback]While I may agree that Laken Leonard may be the best Freshman I saw too, there is no way Heady can compete. Heady is a good player and will only get better

at this point in time Leonard and Ferris are the best. Also each one of these bring something different to the table....so it's really hard to compare these 2.

I would put Heady and Dyer a 1/2 step behind Leonard and fERRIS

It seems most have Leonard or Ferris in the top running for the award but remember this is award is based on their basketball performance, character and academics. I truthful don't know about the character or academics of Ferris, I do know Laken Leonards academics and character are outstanding. I think Laken has nothing on her report card from school lower than a 98, now that's applying yourself on and off the court. She's a very well rounded athlete and person.

QUOTE(hilltopdawg @ Feb 20 2007 - 02:36 PM) 826381342[/snapback]It seems most have Leonard or Ferris in the top running for the award but remember this is award is based on their basketball performance, character and academics. I truthful don't know about the character or academics of Ferris, I do know Laken Leonards academics and character are outstanding. I think Laken has nothing on her report card from school lower than a 98, now that's applying yourself on and off the court. She's a very well rounded athlete and person.

If you do not know then you are not qualified to comment. Laken is on a better team, and has supierior surrounding talent. I do know Laken and she is an amazing young lady.

Laken Leonard for Miss Basketball A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do not know about Kayci Ferriss, then why comment?

Again, she has less help than Laken, she plays in the toughest district in the state, she gets physically abused night in and night out by double and triple teams, she does make excellent grades, she is an excellent young lady, and she has had to overcome more than any 20 other children I know with her family circumstances.

Furthermore, Kayci has willingly played thru tremendous injury for her teams sake, now that is character.

Fortunately Kayci and Laken are not competing for the same title. As a matter of fact they are great friends and I know they are rooting for each other.

This is not a cumulative award and Kayci's stats alone stand for them self. But as everyone else who does not have the stats to back up their arguments for their canidate they talk about their favorite candidate and their heart and character and their story.

Kayci has the best stats, there is NO doubt, but she also has the best story.

Kayci Ferriss for Miss Basketball AA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE PLEASE LIMIT THEIR COMMENTS TO WHAT THEY KNOW, AND TRY TO KEEP IT POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(mdtennbasketball @ Feb 20 2007 - 02:59 PM) 826381388[/snapback]If you do not know then you are not qualified to comment. Laken is on a better team, and has supierior surrounding talent. I do know Laken and she is an amazing young lady.

Again, she has less help than Laken, she plays in the toughest district in the state, she gets physically abused night in and night out by double and triple teams, she does make excellent grades, she is an excellent young lady, and she has had to overcome more than any 20 other children I know with her family circumstances.

Furthermore, Kayci has willingly played thru tremendous injury for her teams sake, now that is character.

Fortunately Kayci and Laken are not competing for the same title. As a matter of fact they are great friends and I know they are rooting for each other.

This is not a cumulative award and Kayci's stats alone stand for them self. But as everyone else who does not have the stats to back up their arguments for their canidate they talk about their favorite candidate and their heart and character and their story.

EVERYONE PLEASE LIMIT THEIR COMMENTS TO WHAT THEY KNOW, AND TRY TO KEEP IT POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hilltopdawg did limit his comments to what he knows(as he said) and they were in no way negative to anyone-get over the attitude

QUOTE(mdtennbasketball @ Feb 20 2007 - 02:59 PM) 826381388[/snapback]If you do not know then you are not qualified to comment. Laken is on a better team, and has supierior surrounding talent. I do know Laken and she is an amazing young lady.

first of all, i was only responding that most were picking ferris and leonard. I said I didn't know ferris but did know leonard. the comment was made about character and academics because those are part of the criteria and my point was that if these girls were judged on this laken should do really well. Sorry if you misunderstood or my post wasn't clear. However, nothing negative was said about your smith county girl so get over yourself. I see you didn't mind pointing out ferris's character or grades just as I did laken's. Actually should ferris and leonard both recieve Ms. Basketball that would be great for Middle Tn Basketball. Sorry if you misunderstood my post but I was stating my opinion about Laken.

Smith County has some good talent surrounding ferris as well and you should probably limit your negative comments

My pick is Laken Leonard for class A Miss Basketball!! I know she is only a freahman but her stats speak for themselves, she has carried her team all season long and just led them to a district championship! Her work ethic on and off the court compare to none other and she has a great attitude! She cares more about her teammates than she does herself. She represents her family, school, and community well! While she could care less about this award....I hope she wins it because I know she deserves it!

End the end this is still just an individual award and will never compare to a state championship!

Good Luck to all the fnalist!

QUOTE(ace2452 @ Feb 21 2007 - 01:29 AM) 826382320[/snapback]My pick is Laken Leonard for class A Miss Basketball!! I know she is only a freahman but her stats speak for themselves, she has carried her team all season long and just led them to a district championship! Her work ethic on and off the court compare to none other and she has a great attitude! She cares more about her teammates than she does herself. She represents her family, school, and community well! While she could care less about this award....I hope she wins it because I know she deserves it!

End the end this is still just an individual award and will never compare to a state championship!

Good Luck to all the fnalist!

Laken's worked very hard to get to where she is now, just being mentioned for this award is an honor in itself. Good things are in store for Laken and many of her teammates. She is surrounded by some talent and heart with the lady dawgs and I'm sure she's aware of that. Although the award would be nice, a championship would be nicer. I hope she can have both in the near future. Good luck to Laken Leonard of RBS

QUOTE(hilltopdawg @ Feb 19 2007 - 09:56 PM) 826380168[/snapback]Kayci Ferris is tall... She didn't get MVP in her district because she didn't even get close to carrying her team to the district championship game. Her team got 4th and to be honest she wasn't even a factor for Smith County. Macon Counties girls had her so frustrated she just took herself out of the game. Macon came together tonight they all played very good. Everyone thought Smith County would dominate but never even came close. Gregory did an outstanding job knocking down the three and she follows her shots better than most i've seen: she's always crashing the boards. Courtney Clark was a huge factor in her short corner jumpers. Ferris wasn't there to block her shots and she played her role well tonight. Conley, way to hustle. Great intensity. Wix, way to play strong down low and even with some questionable fouls you stayed the course and didn't foul out. Way to play smart and not let the big girl frustrate you. Compton did a good job taking the ball to the hole tonight with some good strong layups coming off steals. Keep it going girls. Good team effort>> Let's see how far you can take us...

Compton also outplayed the district mvp ASHLEY MATTHEWS also. Whether Kayci got it or not, the mvp for this district was the wrong choice. If Matthews is that good, she would be a miss basketball finalist and not Kayci.

QUOTE(coacht @ Feb 19 2007 - 12:59 PM) 826379256[/snapback]The article is on the home page

Class A Miss Basketball Finalists

Abby Andrews, Collinwood

Kayla Hudson, Gleason

Laken Leonard, Red Boiling Springs

Class AA Miss Basketball Finalists

Gwen Delk, Jackson Northside

Kayci Ferris, Smith County

Jana Roney, Obion County

Class AAA Miss Basketball Finalists

Tierney Jenkins, Wilson Central

Anne Marie Lanning, Riverdale

Angela Puleo, William Blount

Division II Miss Basketball Finalists

Lauren Avant, Lausanne

Victoria Dunlap, Brentwood Academy

Glory Johnson, Webb School of Knoxville

Class A Mr. Basketball Finalists

M.J. Brown, Union City

Seth Skogen, Temple

DeMario Williams, Culleoka

Class AA Mr. Basketball Finalists

Randy Culpepper, Sheffield

Jewuan Long, Liberty

Gerald Robinson, Martin Luther King

Class AAA Mr. Basketball Finalists

Maurice Miller, Raleigh Egypt

Terrance Oglesby, Bradley Central

Antwaine Wiggins, Greeneville

Division II Mr. Basketball Finalists

Brandon Brown, Brentwood Academy

Leslie McDonald, Briarcrest

Elliot Williams, St. George's

Im wondering why i didnt get nominated after me leading in West Tennessee, averaging 25.5 points a game, 7.1 rebounds, and steals. and i still didnt get nominated. Maybe next year though. Watch out for me....ILL BE BACK!

QUOTE(lil_meika10 @ Feb 21 2007 - 01:34 PM) 826382893[/snapback]Im wondering why i didnt get nominated after me leading in West Tennessee, averaging 25.5 points a game, 7.1 rebounds, and steals. and i still didnt get nominated. Maybe next year though. Watch out for me....ILL BE BACK!

Divison II Glory Johnson all the way. No one else even close!!!!