Old School Champions

cbg

If both D1 & D2 were combined who would win and how would they win.

103 Jeremy Miller (8th Greenback) vs Daniel Baucke (9th CBHS)

112 Josh Jadoobirsingh (11th Cleveland) vs Bailey Whitacker (12th Baylor)

119 Demetrius Johnson (12th Brighton) vs T.J. Duncan (8th McCallie)

125 David Graham (10th Bradley) vs John Michael Simspson (12th MBA)

130 Tanner Johnson (12th Bradley) vs Ben Johnson (12 Baylor)

135 Ulric Winesburgh (12th Soddy) vs Will Young (12th McCallie)

140 Dean Pavlon (11th Bradley) vs Mike Bell (12th Baylor)

145 Kelly Felix (12th Franklin) vs Josh Baucke (12th CBHS)

152 Justin Spain (12th Bradley) vs Reed Doster (12th Baylor)

160 Brandon Wright (12th Houston) vs Daniel Wadell (12th Baylor)

171 Jake Young (10th Ool) vs Aaron Bateman (12th Father Ryan)

189 Tyler Roberson (12th Soddy) vs Darius Williams (12th CBHS)

215 Matt Lettner (12th Soddy) vs Ben Bartholomew (11th MBA)

HW Cody Sliger (11th Ool) vs Zach Herman (11th Father Ryan)

My Picks: D2 25 D1 19

Baucke (D2 dec)

Jadoobirsingh (D1 dec)

Johnson (D1 dec)

Simpson (D2 dec)

Ben Johnson (D2 dec)

Young (D2 dec)

Bell (D2 dec)

Felix (D1 decision)

Spain (D1 dec)

Wadell (D2 3rd OT rideout)

Bateman (D2 major decision)

Roberson (D1 major decision)

Lettner (D1 dec)

Herman (D2 dec)

IMO, the 160#, 103# & HW matches are a tossups and could be won by either wrestler. I don't see any pins unless it is Roberson or Bateman.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

103- Bauke D2

112-Jadoobirsingh D1

119- Johnson D1

125- Simpson D2

130- Johnson D2

135- Young D2

140- Pavlon D1

145- Felix D1

152- Doster D2

160- Wadell D2

171- Bateman D2

189- Williams D2

215- Lettner D1

285- Herman D2

D2- 9 D1- 5 I have no clue about 285 or 140. 160 is the hardest to decide. i feel good on ther other weights. 189 is tough too.

103 Daniel Baucke (9th CBHS)

112 Josh Jadoobirsingh (11th Cleveland)

119 Demetrius Johnson (12th Brighton)

125 John Michael Simspson (12th MBA)

130 Ben Johnson (12 Baylor)

135 Ulric Winesburgh (12th Soddy)

140 Mike Bell (12th Baylor)

145 Kelly Felix (12th Franklin)

152 Justin Spain (12th Bradley)

160 Brandon Wright (12th Houston) vs Daniel Wadell (12th Baylor) Can't pick a winner here

171 Jake Young (10th Ool)

189 Tyler Roberson (12th Soddy)

215 Matt Lettner (12th Soddy)

HW Cody Sliger (11th Ool)

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 19 2007 - 04:21 PM) 826379570[/snapback]If both D1 & D2 were combined who would win and how would they win.

My Picks: D2 25 D1 19

Baucke (D2 dec)

Jadoobirsingh (D1 dec)

Johnson (D1 dec)

Simpson (D2 dec)

Ben Johnson (D2 dec)

Young (D2 dec)

Bell (D2 dec)

Felix (D1 decision)

Spain (D1 dec)

Wadell (D2 3rd OT rideout)

Bateman (D2 major decision)

Roberson (D1 major decision)

Lettner (D1 dec)

Herman (D2 dec)

IMO, the 160#, 103# & HW matches are a tossups and could be won by either wrestler. I don't see any pins unless it is Roberson or Bateman.

I agree with all but the 160lb class. I am a DII guy, but, Wright would beat Wadell, in my opinion. Not that it counts really, but I think Wright beat Waddell fairly easily when they last wrestled. I am a big fan of Waddell's and think he is one of the better wrestlers in the state. The 160lb class was just brutal this year. Wright, Waddell, Creagan and Tolbert are all state champs in any other year. I may have second thoughts on the 189lb class also. Williams and Roberson would be a heck of a match. Williams wrestles all year long, too.

take Bauke dec D2

Josh Jadoobirsingh dec D1

Johnson major D1

Simpson major D2

Ben Johnson dec D2

Young dec D2

Felix major D1

Spain dec D1

Wright dec D1

Young dec D1

Roberson dec D1

Letner dec D1

Sliger dec D1

Although a few of these can be toss-ups after watching all of the above wrestle. I don't think 189, would be that close and I think Felix schools a Bauke at 145. I think that 103 could be very good as well as Young and Winesburgh.

Just to throw a little information out there, Wright did beat Darius Williams who earlier in the year beat Aaron Bateman. As far as a common opponent, he stuck Goodrum in the first period while Waddell only beat him 12-5. He also beat Brendan Gipson, the 3rd place finisher at 171 and Stephen Geyer the 5th place finisher at 171. Add that he did beat two time champ Creagan and you have a solid resume that anyone would be proud of. Against Waddell, who knows. The only thing we have to go off of is freestyle, won by Wright.

I'll analyze the rest of the matchups and come up with a list tomorrow.

Most importantly, great job to all those who won state this year.

Felix schools Baucke? I doubt it.

Felix beat him at Father Ryan in the finals 2-1.

Just thought i would throw that info out there too.

Also, yes, Brandon Wright beat DD in ot during the season.

Darius rode him for an entire period (2nd) and dang near reversed him at the buzzer.

Lastly, as we have seen at the state duals and state individuals....just because you have beaten someone once, that doesn't mean you will win the second time. Guys this good, to even to call.

Congrats to all the state champions!

QUOTE(papbear3 @ Feb 19 2007 - 10:15 PM) 826380227[/snapback]Felix schools Baucke? I doubt it.

Felix beat him at Father Ryan in the finals 2-1.

Just thought i would throw that info out there too.

Also, yes, Brandon Wright beat DD in ot during the season.

Darius rode him for an entire period (2nd) and dang near reversed him at the buzzer.

Lastly, as we have seen at the state duals and state individuals....just because you have beaten someone once, that doesn't mean you will win the second time. Guys this good, to even to call.

Congrats to all the state champions!

Papabear is right. What happens earlier in the season may not work out later in the season. We can only ponder what might happen based on the information available. Matchups such as these will not happen this year or in the foreseeable future.

QUOTE(CoachDelgado @ Feb 19 2007 - 09:36 PM) 826380109[/snapback]Just to throw a little information out there, Wright did beat Darius Williams who earlier in the year beat Aaron Bateman. As far as a common opponent, he stuck Goodrum in the first period while Waddell only beat him 12-5. He also beat Brendan Gipson, the 3rd place finisher at 171 and Stephen Geyer the 5th place finisher at 171. Add that he did beat two time champ Creagan and you have a solid resume that anyone would be proud of. Against Waddell, who knows. The only thing we have to go off of is freestyle, won by Wright.

I'll analyze the rest of the matchups and come up with a list tomorrow.

Most importantly, great job to all those who won state this year.

Did Bateman not loose to Williams in the Father Ryan finals after only being in the practice room for one (1) week due to eye surgery?

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 19 2007 - 04:21 PM) 826379570[/snapback]103 Jeremy Miller (8th Greenback) vs Daniel Baucke (9th CBHS)

I probably shouldn't but I am going to take a stab at it. I will attempt to give reasons where I can.

103 - Daniel Baucke by dec

In a close one I think Daniel takes it. He is a smart wrestler who gets the job done. I think they have some past matches but I don't remeber the specific outcomes other than it being close. I think maybe at the state freestyle tournament last year... I do think Miller has an advantage in bring a little bigger.

112 - Josh Jadoobirsingh by dec

This would be another close one but I think Jadoobirsingh takes it. Whitaker doesn't lose big to anyone so it will defintiely be a decision but my gut (yes I know I am pulling a Soms) tells me this goes the way of the Cleveland kid. I can't come up with any matches / common opponents to draw on although I would imagine there are some.

119 - Demetrius Johnson by maj

I have to take D by a large margin in this one. Looking at a common opponent in Ryan McKenzie this year tells all the story I need. McKenzie kept it even with Duncan (I think they were tied with about 30 seconds to go). On the other hand Demetrius majored McKenzie this year and McKenzie is mroe than familiar with Demetirus as they have been wrestling for a few years and knows how to attempt to keep it close and Johnson still majors him. To be honest I wouldn't be shocked to see a tech fall here if Demetrius was on that day... oh and note to mention the senior preparing for college versus an 8th grader!

125 - John Michael Simpson by dec

I think this one is close but I am going with the senior 2x state champ over the sophomore at this point. Although I have to admit I am impressed by Graham.

130 - Ben Johnson by dec

Tanner is the real deal but I have to take Ben in the battle of the Johnson's. I just don't think anyone was beating Ben Johnson this year. He controls the match so well...

135 - Will Young by dec

Did we see this match anywhere during the season? I can't seem to remember and am too lazy to look. Once again Young is very good at wrestling his match. Winesburgh is capable of a big move to give him the lead to hold off Young but if Young scores first I think he takes that lead to the bank.

140 - Mike Bell by dec

Man I am just not sure on this one. I think the big match experience pays off for Bell. Not much I can say but would be interested. I see this similar to Winesburgh / Young.

145 - Kelly Felix by dec

I think I have personally seen this match maybe 3 times in the last year. I think twice at Freestyle / Greco state last year and the finals at Ryan this year. I believe all the wins were one point decisions for Felix so I would have to once again give him the one point decision. But with a match that close it is never out of Baucke's reach.

152 - Justin Spain by dec

Another fantastic match but I just don't think that Reed has the arsenal that Justin does. Look for them to trade maybe two TD's each in the first two periods but Spain to get the deciding one in the 3rd.

160 - Brandon Wright by dec

In what could be the match of the duals I think Wright gets a 1 - 2 point. Brandon has shown an affinity to win the close ones and I think he took a one point decision over Waddell at the Best of the Best Duals in freestyle over the summer. Different style so the results don't necessarily translate but I think they traded pushouts with Wright getting the only takedown. Darn good match here but look for Brandon to get an early lead and control.

171 - Aaron Bateman by dec

Aaron Bateman is just flat out a gamer when it is all on the line. Hard to argue with a 3x state champ but then again Jake Young may be able to pull off the same feat. Once again I am going to go with the senior in what is sure to be an absolute physical battle that stays close because I think Jake Young may actually be the better technician. Watch out for that patented Bateman lateral drop though!

189 - Tyler Roberson by dec

This is a match we saw at the state freestyle / Greco tournament as well. Roberson came out on top in two close battles. Back then Roberson seemed to be the larger of the two and I am certain that is true now. While Tyler is a true 189lber Dede is wrestling up at 189 and is much closer to a true 171 if he were cutting. This would be one of the more entertaining matches of the night as their previous battles have been and I believe they would both be looking to put on a show. Since I know they are close (have trained together at things like Junior Duals Camp) I think they both would be willing to let it all hang out. As a total side note I would take Darius against either at 171!

215 - Matt Lettner by dec

This is another match I could see the DI guys picking up some bonus points (maybe a major) if Lettner is on (say the way he was against Coffee) but I think Bartholomew is strong enough to keep it close. I think he was just going to be unstoppable this year and while Bartholomew is a terrific athlete I do not believe he is the wrestler that Lettner is, yet...

285 - Sliger by dec

This is another match that I could see bonus points for DI depending on how match goes. Stylistically I like Sliger to take this one from Hermann. Hermann's style is very much a underhook, bodylock type that I would think conflicts with one like Sliger who seems to move well on his feet and is big and strong enough to finish shots on the strong Hermann. Of course Hermann defeated Still in the finals who also moves well but I don't believe he had the strength or size that Sliger has. Should be an interesting on on the feet but I could see someone ending up on their back in this match (as often happens when the big boys really go for something).

Now lets see that makes the dual meet score: DI - 25 DII - 18 with DI getting 8 wins and DII taking 6.

Swing matches I see are: 112, 130, 135, 140 (whoever gets hot here really helps out, can't go out of the way on calling a pin at any of these matches either as they are all pinners so if someone makes a mistake they could be counting the lights...)

Bonus point possibilities at: 119 (DI, but I called this one), 171 (DII), 215 (DI), 285 (D

Like I said I probably shouldn't have done it but I did so go ahead and have at it.

i still would think he would school Bauke. Yes they wrestled earlier this year. But I just have to think Felix got better than Bauke did. He wrestled much better competition throughout the year compared to CBHS. And thats no offense to CBHS but they did not wrestle the same competition as Felix and Franklin did. Plus he had better competition in D1 than Bauke did but Bauke only won 5-3 over Harding Academy kid and 9-3 over a good Miller. Where as Felix even though people ran from him pin, pin, tech, pin, pin.

Also I just watched another replay of the finals at Father Ryan but this time would be different. For a 2-1 match Felix was in control the whole time.