Running up the Score.

Hoops1stLuv14

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your up by 30+ and your starters are still in the game and you are pressing then that would be a bit much. I know some coaches are not happy with a 20 pt. lead. I have seen games where coaches are comfortable and put reserves in at 3:00 or so and the other team has not accepted defeat (which they really have no reason to) and the team that is down makes a run and gets back in it and all of a sudden the starteers are back in and the opposing team has a full head of steam and boom where it was 20 it's now 6 with :50 seconds and they have a chance to win.

As far as Liberty goes I have had the pleasure of being on the bench of a team, as an assistant, last season and we got hit by 40: they did'nt run up the score they called of the dogs in the middle of the 2nd quarter and their subs were put in to just play and do what any subs would do with that chance.

QUOTE(Lester Little @ Feb 21 2007 - 11:29 AM) 826382777[/snapback]It is the other team's job to stop you. Starters must play too. If the starters don't get enough playing time it will come back to get you in a close game.

Once the game is out of reach, the emphasis changes to using the game to improve players (you get better by playing stronger teams. . . you get better by playing stronger players.) Have been on the low score of blow outs frequently the last 5-6 years. The starters from the weaker team need to play the starters (strong players) from the better team. Once the winning team puts in its second string, the losing team misses out on the benefit.

Honestly if you beat me by 40 I'm really not going to be all that ticked that's just me. I have been beaten pretty badl as a coach but I survived and I have drilled people also(although I will never run up the score on anyone) but If a team runs up the score on me I am not going to go crying to the media or the other coach I will just prepare my ids for the next time we see that team

Believe me, as a coach who has taken a couple of poundings from Liberty, getting beat by one is harder to take than getting spanked by 40. When you take those kind of beatings just understand you are out of your league and the other team is just better. Remember if you are still trying to win the game and have your starters in and are pressing trying to get back in it, the opposing coach has a obligation to his team and players to try to win. Todays game is so different than 10 yrs ago with the # of kids that can shoot the three that 20 isn't as big a lead as it used to be. And many times when you play Liberty and only get beat 20 you probably played pretty good.

Believe me, as a coach who has taken a couple of poundings from Liberty, getting beat by one is harder to take than getting spanked by 40. When you take those kind of beatings just understand you are out of your league and the other team is just better. Remember if you are still trying to win the game and have your starters in and are pressing trying to get back in it, the opposing coach has a obligation to his team and players to try to win. Todays game is so different than 10 yrs ago with the # of kids that can shoot the three that 20 isn't as big a lead as it used to be. And many times when you play Liberty and only get beat 20 you probably played pretty good.

Even kids sometimes will not want to run up the score. Take the Oakland Riverdale score. Oakland was up 18 at half. They didn't come out with the "Let's not run it up mindset" but they did come out with the "We have this wrapped up mindset". Have to make sure there is a fine line in the middle of those two mindsets, but more importantly, make sure your kids know the difference.

QUOTE(Mojo20 @ Feb 21 2007 - 10:33 PM) 826383563[/snapback]Believe me, as a coach who has taken a couple of poundings from Liberty, getting beat by one is harder to take than getting spanked by 40. When you take those kind of beatings just understand you are out of your league and the other team is just better. Remember if you are still trying to win the game and have your starters in and are pressing trying to get back in it, the opposing coach has a obligation to his team and players to try to win. Todays game is so different than 10 yrs ago with the # of kids that can shoot the three that 20 isn't as big a lead as it used to be. And many times when you play Liberty and only get beat 20 you probably played pretty good.

From the department of redundancy department.....

If you are up 30 with 10 seconds left and the starters are still in pressing...You might be running the score up.....

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Feb 21 2007 - 10:12 PM) 826383829[/snapback]Well I got to see Liberty play once this year, and believe me, they are up by 30 before the game even gets started.

By now most of you know that I am a diehard CRUSADER FAN I just have to weighin on this one. It would be very hard for "THE STARTING FIVE" to get any playing time if Dexter had them stop at 20 points. The whole deal with McNairy the other night got blown out......Dexter was playing his bench all thru the game and had no problem staying up by 20. I'll say again.....it's tournament time. Those guys have got to have playing time......McNairy was giving the Crusaders everything they had....it was the type of playing time they really needed in my opinion. There is a fine line...keep your team conditioned with competitive playing time or bow down to public opinion.....Dexters just not gonna do the later.

Jewan Long and company could be scoring 20+ per game....a piece if it weren't for Dexter building his team (playing the bench)....that is why he will have a great team for years to come.

If he ran the score up on McNairy.....then that was one game. Believe me he don't do that crap for no reason at all.

Sometimes it's unavoidable.