Antioch @ Centennial

zoosee12

Kyle Upton is the heart and soul of Antioch.

So he goes antioch goes. He led all scores with 23. Kyle was the guard no. 20. Kyle you played one heckuva game. Centennials guard play killed them. Nothing from their guards...all night. Cent. guards made poor decisions all night. Cent. did play hard. I was very impressed with Kelley. He will be one to watch the next two yrs.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cobrafan90 @ Feb 24 2007 - 09:59 PM) 826387904[/snapback]Kyle Upton is the heart and soul of Antioch.

So he goes antioch goes. He led all scores with 23. Kyle was the guard no. 20. Kyle you played one heckuva game. Centennials guard play killed them. Nothing from their guards...all night. Cent. guards made poor decisions all night. Cent. did play hard. I was very impressed with Kelley. He will be one to watch the next two yrs.

Upton was definitely the player of the game for Antioch. Our guard play has been the weak point for us all season, and it continued to do so tonight. Hopefully, Chaz, Ty, KeJuan, and Allante will be able to step up their play a little over the offseason.

QUOTE(donathan5507 @ Feb 24 2007 - 10:58 PM) 826387903[/snapback]McAdoo seemed to be walking fine after the game--probably just landed wrong. I wonder if he was sick tonight? He looked very lethargic on the court and even went over to one of the trash cans next to the bleachers for a minute...anyone from AHS want to shed any light on the situation?

Stomach Flu has hit Antioch....I would say he was fighting the bug!

QUOTE(CHS 2007 @ Feb 24 2007 - 09:46 PM) 826387871[/snapback]Well, what turned out to be one of the best Centennial seasons in recent memory came to an end tonight, as Antioch takes this game 65-54. Was a very back and forth game early, with no one really jumping out to a commanding lead. No one could get their shooting going and the game was dominated by Kelly, Harris, McAdoo, and Wells. I have to say this though. Early in the game, Lamont OWNED Tahj Wells. He put up three big blocks on him, including what may very well be the block of the year for the Cougars. After getting the inside feed, Wells ran in and tried to throw it down. When he got about a foot from the rim, Bug just packs him against the glass, knocking both the ball and Tahj Wells down.

Once the second half started, Antioch took control. Centennial played sloppy ball and tried to force plays again. Antioch in total scored 18 fast-break points. When he did convert, no one could put it in. Bug went ice cold. Drew didn't go after rebounds. Chaz...well...I don't really after add to that one. While Antioch saw the clock run out, they also might have kissed their postseason hopes goodbye. With three second remaining and up by 11, McAdoo got the ball and rather than running the clock out, decided to go in for one last throwdown. He threw it down and hung on the rim, getting the technical. But as he jumped down, he landed hard on his left leg and immediately ran into the locker room. Haven't heard anything further on his condition, but if that is anything serious, Antioch is about done.

Say what you will about the Centennial Cougars. But to go from 7-19 last year to District Runners up is a big accomplishment. After the football season, the coaching drama, this school's spirit was at an alltime low. This team gave the students something to rally around. Although it may not have had the ideal ending, I will always remember this team as the team that saved the Cougar Athletics. Now, for possibly the final time of my high school career....

C-C-CHS!

Here is another version of the game

Antioch routs Centennial

By JEFF LOCKRIDGE

Staff Writer

FRANKLIN — The depth of District 12-AAA was on display here Saturday night.

Antioch got plenty of production from its top three scorers and capitalized on 23 Centennial turnovers for a 65-53 win in a Region 6-AAA boys quarterfinal at Centennial.

“I think this is the year our district has a great shot at a state title,” Antioch junior center Mike McAdoo said. “We have a lot of depth.”

Guard Kyle Upton poured in 23 points, forward Tahj Wells scored 18 and McAdoo added 17 to pace Antioch (29-7), seeded third out of District 12.

Sophomore post Drew Kelly (16 points) was the only player in double figures for the Cougars (23-10), seeded second out of District 11.

The Bears advance to face District 12 champion Whites Creek in the semifinals Tuesday at Ravenwood. Antioch dealt Whites Creek one of its three losses this season.

“It’s the rubber game,” Antioch Coach B.K. Crowder said.

Wells opened the second half with an alley-oop dunk from Upton for a 38-30 lead. The Bears stretched their advantage to 13 later in the third quarter on a 3-pointer from Damon Girty.

Centennial got to within 52-46 early in the fourth on LaMont Harris’ (9 points) only basket of the second half, but Antioch inched away thanks to its inside dominance and Centennial mistakes.

“Since Christmas we’ve been averaging 20 turnovers a game and still winning games,” Centennial Coach Brian Kelly said. “But we’ve been telling the guys they can’t do that and go where we want to go, which is the region finals.

“Our defense has been playing good enough to make up for the turnovers, but against this bunch, you just can’t do that. Antioch is so powerful and explosive offensively.”

Antioch shot nearly 70 percent in the second half after shooting 39 percent in the first half. The Bears are now 6-0 against District 11 teams this season, including a win over district champion Franklin.

“We struggled a little bit early,” Crowder said. “We made some substitutions and maybe they weren’t the right fit. But we knew we had to put pressure on their guards and stop (Kelly) inside, who’s great and he’s just a sophomore. We stopped their transition game and got our transition game going.”

McAdoo scored 10 of Antioch’s first 16 points and the Bears sprinted to a 20-17 lead through one quarter.

Kelly got on track with a turnaround jumper and a 3-point play in the opening 1:17 of the second quarter to match Centennial’s largest lead at 24-20. Antioch answered with the next eight points — six in transition after Cougar turnovers.

Antioch led 36-30 at the half thanks largely to its offensive rebounding and 15 turnovers by Centennial.

Centennial’s 2005 and ‘06 seasons ended in the district tournament, and the Cougars have never advanced beyond the region.

Antioch last got beyond the region in 2000 when then-junior Mario Moore led the Bears to the state tournament.

QUOTE(Metro @ Feb 25 2007 - 01:58 AM) 826388164[/snapback]CHS: OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE TERRIBLE AT PREDICTIONS,,,,,YOU ARE THE CURSE OF THE COUGARS,,,IF YOU PICK THEM TO WIN THEY LOSE,,,,,HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA YOU ARE THEIR VERSION OF LEE CORSO

STAY OFF THE BOARDS,,,,,COUGARS DONE,,,DEAL WITH IT

You are an idiot. I guess I was the curse when I picked them over an undefeated Brentwood team that had just upset Independence. I guess I was the curse when I picked them over then #3 LaVergne in the Beech Tournament. You've been on here less than a week, and all you've done is make stupid comments like those. So if that's all you came on here to do, you're doing nothing but wasting everyones time.

QUOTE(HSbballfan21 @ Feb 24 2007 - 11:46 PM) 826388093[/snapback]Antioch shot nearly 70 percent in the second half after shooting 39 percent in the first half. The Bears are now 6-0 against District 11 teams this season, including a win over district champion Franklin.

What that doesn't say is that about 85% of those shots were lay-ups or dunks. Antioch only had one three the entire game and all they did was either throw it inside or take it inside.

QUOTE(CHS 2007 @ Feb 25 2007 - 09:29 AM) 826388282[/snapback]What that doesn't say is that about 85% of those shots were lay-ups or dunks. Antioch only had one three the entire game and all they did was either throw it inside or take it inside.

...but Antioch inched away thanks to its inside dominance and Centennial mistakes.

If you read the whole thing you wouldn't have missed this part. They took advantage of your mistakes and shoved it down ur throat by drivin it to the inside.