Franklin/McGavock

Jim Harrick

QUOTE(donathan5507 @ Feb 28 2007 - 12:35 AM) 826392648[/snapback]I do believe Franklin was down by 5 heading into the 4th...that defensive stand and comeback was unbelievable and energized the entire gym...from that point on, the atmosphere was phenomenal.

I do believe Coach Johnson recalls the last time the Rebels went to state. I believe he has some jewelry commemorating the event, no?

You are right, FHS was down by five @ the half & still down by 5 goin into the fourth. The Rebels were on fire for the first 2-3 minutes of the fourth. Then McGavock could do no wrong. I felt so sorry for Derek Batt in the last minute when he missed that easy layup & then that first free-throw with 3 seconds left. But he & the Rebels got a reprieve. Could they be the Cinderella team in the State Tournament? Time will tell! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(donathan5507 @ Feb 28 2007 - 12:35 AM) 826392648[/snapback]I do believe Franklin was down by 5 heading into the 4th...that defensive stand and comeback was unbelievable and energized the entire gym...from that point on, the atmosphere was phenomenal.

I do believe Coach Johnson recalls the last time the Rebels went to state. I believe he has some jewelry commemorating the event, no?

And let me just say...Derek Batt is the BEST post in 11-AAA. Sorry Kelly lovers, but D-Batt got the shaft when it came to the MVP voting.

Kelly was perhaps the most consistent post player for his team & was almost certainy more valuable to his team's success. But he didn't have much of a supporting cast with the guards @ Centennial. Kally's point production was certainly higher than Batts.

But I guarantee you that Batt will trade a District MVP trophy for the opportunity to play in the Region finals & the Sub-State his Senior year any day. I don't see Kelly getting there with his Cougar crew in the next two years. But if they do, I'll be very proud of them & hope that they represent District 11AAA well.

The only thing I will say is that, although Franklin has a great TEAM, taking D-Batt away would really hurt that team because consistent post play is the key to victory. I think that Derek's performances get overshadowed sometimes by the fact that Franklin plays about 10 deep...however, I feel that he outshone Kelly on the district's biggest stage and he has had similar success in crucial games.

The way he plays in big games cannot be questioned.

1/16 vs. Independence 25 points

1/26 at Independence 18 points

2/9 vs. Centennial 19 points

2/20 vs. Centennial (District championship) 19 points

2/27 vs. McGavock (Region semis) 23 points.

He averages 21 points in those games, well above his season average of 13. His numbers from early in the season may be diminished some because Redbone was in the lineup. Batt's intensity and enthusiasm permeate through his teammates and he brings energy and quickness to the post.

I really enjoy watching him play and I hope I get to see him in the 'Boro.

And don't get me wrong, Kelly may average 30 points a game his senior year and sign with a major D-1 school, but at this point, Batt is just a better player.

QUOTE(FranklinHSfan @ Feb 27 2007 - 11:01 PM) 826392591[/snapback]FHS was up by 5 points going into the 4th quarter. At one point, I believe they had a 7-10 pt. lead. But FHS went the "entire game" without making a 3 pt. shot & Mcgavock fought back & took the lead in the last minute. Derek Batt goes to the foul line with 3.2 seconds left, shooting 2. He misses the first one!!! FHS calls a time out and puts both guards just outside the arc for Batt's intentional miss of the second free throw. Reed Glove (the sophomore- NOT his brother Ryan - as reported in the Tennessean) catches the rebound in mid-air and puts it back in with 1.2 seconds left to send the game into OT. FHS jumps out by 3 or 5 in OT and then makes their free throws down the stretch to win 78 to 75.

Reed Glover & Michael Young (both Sophomores) combined for 30 points. Batt led all scorers with 23!! If you would have told me before the game that FHS would win this or any other Region Tournament game without making a three, I would have said that you were crazy.

I watched the 1st half of WC vs Antioch. Game was tied 26 to 26 @ the half. Sooth sayers have said all year long that W Creek is unbeatable by the likes of FHS. After their 2 point win tonight, I would say that they are certainly beatable. But regardless, we are goin to the Sub-State to play Mt. Juliet or Clarksville. We lost by 3 to Clarksville in the first scrimmage / Hall of Fame game of the year. We lost to Mt. J by 2 in a game that we should not have lost. IMHO, we were out coached in that loss.

So, I really like the chances for FHS to make it back to THE BORO for the first time since 1989!!

GO REBELS!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

FranklinHSfan: Why do you consider every loss Jay Johnson's fault? Or, your famous respsonse, "we were outcoached" Yes, Mt. Juliet did beat us early in the year, but if you remember, the sophomores weren't making huge contributions as of yet. Young was still getting his feet wet, Reed Glover wasn't playing much at all, Starnes wasn't playing much, and it seemed to be one of those games where we didn't shoot well.

Take this: we won last night shooting 0-17 from 3 land, and still won. Sophomores made huge plays down the stretch, (Glover/Young). Every out of bounds play worked underneath for quick buckets, oh yeah,,,,,,FRANKLIN WON. I say great job Jay Johnson, I know that's hard for YOU to say, but give Jay some credit, what he's done with this program is incredible, show me 5 other programs with better records over 4 years and then maybe you'd appreciate Jay and the Rebel program. In a rebuilding year we are at least in the SUB-STATE,,,,yeah we should really be concerned with Jay's program and all of the times he gets,,,,as you would say......"outcoached".

War to the Rebels in the Region Finals and Subtate

War to Jay Johnson and his staff

War to the Rebel Fan Base last night.....GREAT ENERGY

Coach Harrick,,,,out

ps, ENCOURAGE these kids and the staff,,,,they deserve it

QUOTE(FranklinHSfan @ Feb 27 2007 - 11:01 PM) 826392591[/snapback]FHS was up by 5 points going into the 4th quarter. At one point, I believe they had a 7-10 pt. lead. But FHS went the "entire game" without making a 3 pt. shot & Mcgavock fought back & took the lead in the last minute. Derek Batt goes to the foul line with 3.2 seconds left, shooting 2. He misses the first one!!! FHS calls a time out and puts both guards just outside the arc for Batt's intentional miss of the second free throw. Reed Glove (the sophomore- NOT his brother Ryan - as reported in the Tennessean) catches the rebound in mid-air and puts it back in with 1.2 seconds left to send the game into OT. FHS jumps out by 3 or 5 in OT and then makes their free throws down the stretch to win 78 to 75.

Reed Glover & Michael Young (both Sophomores) combined for 30 points. Batt led all scorers with 23!! If you would have told me before the game that FHS would win this or any other Region Tournament game without making a three, I would have said that you were crazy.

I watched the 1st half of WC vs Antioch. Game was tied 26 to 26 @ the half. Sooth sayers have said all year long that W Creek is unbeatable by the likes of FHS. After their 2 point win tonight, I would say that they are certainly beatable. But regardless, we are goin to the Sub-State to play Mt. Juliet or Clarksville. We lost by 3 to Clarksville in the first scrimmage / Hall of Fame game of the year. We lost to Mt. J by 2 in a game that we should not have lost. IMHO, we were out coached in that loss.

So, I really like the chances for FHS to make it back to THE BORO for the first time since 1989!!

GO REBELS!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

We were not outcoached in that game. Our kids didn't execute. Why would you bring that word up after such a big game for Coach and his team. I know why, because you're an idiot. You are still upset because of what happened to your son last year. Bury the hatchet and become what your name says, FranklinHSFan, or better yet, change your name because you are not a true fan. You don't ever give him credit for anything, you just bust on him for not getting to a region final or not adjusting or some other BS. I'm sure most parents in our county would love to have their kid play for Coach Johnson.

Great job Jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS REBELS!! Great Win!! As said by Coach Harrick...the energy in that place was AMAZING!!!!

When other players from Centennial, coaches from within the District and even within the Region come up to Coach after the game to tell him that HE deserves this as well as his team.....that shows a lot. FranklinHSFan - you are obviously outnumbered!! I must agree that in this case....you are an idiot. Anyone who can say that Jay Johnson gets outcoached OBVIOUSLY HAS a grudge against him!! That's just ridiculous! LOOK AT HIS NUMBERS....THEY SPEAK FOR THEMSELF!!!

GO REBELS!!!

Franklin was very well prepared. Franklin ran the motion offense very well. There were numerous lay-ups on back door cuts by Franklin. They also did an excellent job of defending Don Woods. He did not get loose. Batts is a load down low.

Franklin handled McGavock's pressure all night. No way can you knock Franklin and the coaching staff. They were well prepared. And unfortunately those shots will probably fall against Whites Creek. No way they shoot that poorly again. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Also Coach Simms did a great job of keeping his composure. He has done an outstanding job with the group from McGavock. I don't blame him for some of the plays the players made on the court in the final 40 seconds. He also had a lot of faith to put in Fred Lee(10) who is only a Freshman. He and Danny another freshman(who didn't dress) will make sure McGavock recovers quickly.

On to Thursday, I look forward to the game.

By the way Simms was on the Whites Creek team that lost to Jay Johnson in 89.

I didn't watch the game, but I did see right? 0-17 three-point shooting? What happened there?

It sounds like Franklin really took advantage of the inside mismatch. Like Donathan said, Derek Batt saves his best performances for the big games. No matter the matchup, he always seems to step it up on both sides of the court. He is the heart and soul of that Rebel team.