Science Hill hosts/ Dobyns Bennett travels

noonesfool

Not sure of your intentions there, but don't let two years erase your memory from several great ones before that. D-B may/may not beat a Maryville or Riverdale on a given night, but they have shown they can play with anyone. 3 semi-final games in 6 years aren't Red Rebel numbers, but they aren't chopped liver either.

QUOTE(3 @ Mar 8 2007 - 04:08 PM) 826405127[/snapback]Actually, FOOTBALL at DB is the sport that can't compete with the rest of the state. Remember Bud's long list of indavidual and non-football state champions?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I know I'm behind the times on this, but I just read the article on Tricitiessports.com about the officiating. It's very hard for me to not hate most High School officials because the majority that I see aren't professional. I see them every year with that cocky swagger, jerking their heads around to glare at a coach who questioned them like, "did you dare just question my judgement?" All I will say about Coach Morgan's comments is that in the 8 or so years that he has been the coach, I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER read of him criticizing an official in the paper. Several times I have picked up the paper and been disappointed because not only did he not rip poor officiating, he didn't even mention it. That should give us a pretty good idea just how bad it was at Powell the other night.

QUOTE(barb @ Mar 8 2007 - 03:40 PM) 826405082[/snapback]I don't think the Dog said anything about them in trouble while still in high school. It does seem we have a lot of fine young athletes wasting their lives...quite a lot lately, and some of them with promising futures.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. It is after they have finished their season. For the most part, I cant think of any ahtletes that have been in serious trouble while playing. That of course is the flip side of the coin that all coaches argue saying that sports keep them out of trouble. They will tolerate the athlete knowing that if they are not practicing they will be getting in to trouble. For that very reason many coaches promote off season work outs to keep them out of trouble, especially the summer. Ever walked the halls of a highschool in the fall? It is sad to see so many young mamas to be. You know that the fall semester may be their last classes they will ever take. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Mar 8 2007 - 02:23 PM) 826404924[/snapback]Yeah, I think DB should drop basketball, tennis, bowling, golf, all girl sports, and drivers ed. Football and baseball is all we need.

Not bowling, they have been to the state every year!! And DB's Dr Ed is the only school that doesn't use John Deere green.

QUOTE(brock20 @ Mar 8 2007 - 02:15 PM) 826404897[/snapback]William Miller did not play his senior year and Tylee Henry transfered to Volunteer for his. I am pretty sure that during Miller's sophomore year that Kentucky was after him pretty hard. You are right, I mean how many 6'3 point guards do you see in this area now that are as quick or strong as Miller was?

Football has taken over as the big sport at DB nowadays where as at one time it was basketball. It used to be all the athletes there played basketball, now they play football. There are not many, if any, schools that compete at the state level in both sports.

I dont know if I agree with that. The same type of statement has been made why Science Hill football has been down for so many years. (basketball and baseball took over). Football may seem to be the daddy at DB because of crowd size, but Friday night football doesnt have to compete with football on TV, not yet. As a matter of fact, Friday night football very, very seldom competes with other school activities to prevent student crowds. Basketball game nights compete with swimming, wrestling, chorus, to name a few. I think 4 of the first 7 that played Monday night also play both sports. I dont think there were any real basketball players that played only football and didnt move to the hardwood. I would say the difference years ago was they played only basketball which helped them to be better. They were required to start shooting after school in September, not mid November after knocking heads for 4 months. That is a big difference today vs yesteryears. Other than the reasons by others believing coaching always being the reason DB can not win a title, nobody ever recognizes the demographics of todays TN high schools vs 20,30,40 years ago. Some of the schools that are now so competitive are new schools that consolidated good programs. It is now a more level field and it shows in DB's records.

From talking to players from different schools, i disagree that bailey will be good. He might be an ok south guard but over there at south the coaching is not very good in developing skills. I think bailey will only amount to an ok south guard who cant take the pressure defense from SH or DB