Franklin @ Clarksville

Jim Harrick

QUOTE(TnBball @ Mar 7 2007 - 08:31 AM) 826403268[/snapback]WOW, That seems to be as good of a scouting report that I've heard about on a team. I think that is a fairly accurate one as well. I think when you have good guards you're going to win alot of games and that holds true with this team. The guards are good and the "role players" well they play thier roles. State Tournament should be fun to watch with stars such as..

Tyrone Caldwell-Clarksville

Shaun Merriweather-Clarksville

Terrance Olgesby-Bradley Central

Keith Dodd-Bradley Central

Jason Jones-Ridgeway

Martino Brock-Ridgeway

Terico White-Craigmont

Jamie Grahm-Whites Creek

Demonte Harper-Whites Creek

Chassion Allen-Oakland

I know I left some others off but thats a stout list of players.

Another aspect of CHS game is theird D..every player they put on the floor is very quick and athletic but they have a twist in their defensive play which is switch everything..it might not sound like its big deal but they have perfected it..it will take teams at least a quarter to get used to it but it takes some time to adapt to their style of play..i think it could be the deciding factor in their games to come..good luck to all teams! GO MIDSTATE!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Icy @ Mar 7 2007 - 09:29 AM) 826403334[/snapback]You guys are obviously sleeping on Craigmont. Everybody is in for a rude awakening with Craigmont. They are one of the most athletic teams in Memphis.

Hello Icy,

I think it might be more of a case of being ignorant of Craigmont. The vast majority of posters to this site seem to be from Middle Tennessee such as myself and I think we've heard nothing about this team so, you know, it is kind of 'out of sight out of mind' but I think most of us are just completely ignorant of the Craigmont team.

I also think just about everyone on this board is a 'homer' anyway and since there aren't that many posters here from Memphis or Knoxville then teams like Craigmont and Powell are not going to get much love. Perhaps that is a good position to be in; being overlooked.

I'm a new poster here but one thing which immediately caught my attention was the amount of fan support and dialogue from Class to Class and small town schools as opposed to large town schools. The Class A and AA teams, and especially those teams from smaller hamlets, seem to be in force on this board talking about their teams and the big game. The AAA schools seem less so especially from the larger cities like Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Clarksville. Murfreesboro seems to be an exception as Oakland has a tremendous amount of support on this board or so it seems (which makes the whole Polling thing rather bogus).

We are more familiar with the Ridgeway program because of their past ventures to the State. Craigmont? I'm not sure most of us have even heard of the school.

QUOTE(DunkerDon @ Mar 7 2007 - 08:50 AM) 826403290[/snapback]Thank you but as I have stated before; Memphis teams are scary and often difficult to gauge how a non-Memphis team will match up with them. Memphis is such a breeding ground and hotbed of talent that they endure a season of beating up on one another. Hence, a Memphis team with 8 or 9 losses and considered the underdog at State is often better than a 1 or 2 loss team they face. There are years where Clarksville schools can field a few really good teams but CHS really did not have much this year by way of intra-city competition (Northwest, Northeast, Kenwood, Rossview, Montgomery Central). Ridgeway did have a more difficult schedule. Still, that being said, many teams which were supposed to be a real test for Clarksville wound up getting beat and some rather badly. Some teams the Cats played twice were beaten so soundly the first time that they came into the second game with entirely new strategies abandoning their usual style of play.

If ex-Ridgeway players like Fields and Channels is a good indication of the athleticism that Ridgeway brings then I think they can hang with the Cats athletically. I think Oakland would have a much more difficult time in this area against Clarksville should the two face one another insofar as running the floor.

In years past, yes Oakland has struggled teams that are athletic/quick and I think that has been our undoing in the past against Clarksville teams, but thats where the comparisons bewteen past Oakland teams and this Oakland team begin and end. The beauty of Oakland is that they can beat teams in the halfcourt or going up and down the floor. We have a 6'8 center that is pretty good for us, but benched him for a smaller, quicker lineup against Red Bank and Oakland essentially did not miss a beat. Not saying that Oakland is going to blow through everyone and all that, but the game can be low scoring or it can be up and down the court, oakland is just as proficient at both

QUOTE(OaklandGrad @ Mar 7 2007 - 01:13 PM) 826403639[/snapback]In years past, yes Oakland has struggled teams that are athletic/quick and I think that has been our undoing in the past against Clarksville teams, but thats where the comparisons bewteen past Oakland teams and this Oakland team begin and end. The beauty of Oakland is that they can beat teams in the halfcourt or going up and down the floor. We have a 6'8 center that is pretty good for us, but benched him for a smaller, quicker lineup against Red Bank and Oakland essentially did not miss a beat. Not saying that Oakland is going to blow through everyone and all that, but the game can be low scoring or it can be up and down the court, oakland is just as proficient at both

Hello OaklandGrad,

I am very nervous about Clarksville's game with Ridgeway not really knowing what to expect from this team out of Memphis so I do not wish to put the proverbial cart before the horse and speak prematurely to any depth on a possible second round matchup. However, I think CHS and Oakland are mirror images insofar as being disciplined and well rounded enough to play either uptempo or half court with proficiency and both are outstanding defensively. CHS has played many games of both variety scoring a season high 93 in an uptempo game and a season low 43 against a Springfield team who deliberately slowed the tempo since the first meeting was an uptempo game which was not close. Clarksville was quite content to play that way and has done so several times this year. Hence, both teams share the same beauty.

My question then is if Oakland plays uptempo with such proficiency then why would there need to be a lineup change to play Red Bank? Why not stay with the regular lineup if that lineup was adept and "proficient" at playing uptempo? Also, why would the Oakland fans on this board speak so much after that game about playing uptempo saying things like, "who said we can't play uptempo?" That just sounded quite curious, that's all.

I really do not know the height of Clarksville's players down low but I wonder what Oakland gives up in order to be a little quicker and faster running the floor. If you forfeit height for speed by benching a 6'8" Center then would Clarksville be able to take advantage of that down low in the halfcourt since my presumption is that Clarksville's players are both rather tall and fast (Many fast breaks are finished by block players like Henderson and Merriwether who can run the floor with speed)?

Clarksville might present Oakland with some of its biggest matchup problems to date but Ridgeway is the team I am worried about at the moment.

QUOTE(DunkerDon @ Mar 7 2007 - 04:37 PM) 826403859[/snapback]Hello OaklandGrad,

My question then is if Oakland plays uptempo with such proficiency then why would there need to be a lineup change to play Red Bank? Why not stay with the regular lineup if that lineup was adept and "proficient" at playing uptempo? Also, why would the Oakland fans on this board speak so much after that game about playing uptempo saying things like, "who said we can't play uptempo?" That just sounded quite curious, that's all.

I really do not know the height of Clarksville's players down low but I wonder what Oakland gives up in order to be a little quicker and faster running the floor. If you forfeit height for speed by benching a 6'8" Center then would Clarksville be able to take advantage of that down low in the halfcourt since my presumption is that Clarksville's players are both rather tall and fast (Many fast breaks are finished by block players like Henderson and Merriwether who can run the floor with speed)?

lol I think some of us were getting a little crazy that we won by such a big margin against a team that prides itself of being able to pressure people into turnovers. IMO, there are 2 speeds of up tempo: pushing it down the court with success forcing a team to adjust and playing so fast you just make simple mistakes, I think the latter has applied to Oakland in one or 2 games, its hasnt been a big problem, but I cant help but wonder anytime we come against a team that prides itself of being able to score alot of points, then again, our defense has been able to hold true more often than not.

Coach King decided to bench Kit because plain and simple, McDuffey was just too quick down low and that would have applied for anyone on our team, not just Kit. I think we could have won just as easily with Kit in there, but taking him out for a smaller, albeit quicker player eliminated alot of Red Bank's options. Even when Kit is out, we go 5'7, 6', 6'5, 6'5, 6'3, so Oakland still has a good bit of size, and honestly, not a whole lot changes when he's out, maybe we push the ball a little better, but thats about it

And believe me, we have no room to assume that we will be playing friday night either, but I couldnt help myself by looking at the potential matchup. You guys have gotten the better of us in the past, so id like for Oakland to return the favor