Tournament format is awful

nebuntyn

The attendance was down because the format is stupid. There is no way region 6 should have been at Waverly, it was a terrible atmosphere for basketball. First of all you should not be able to lose 3 games, and still be able to win a state championship. The substate games should be at a central location for each region, played on the same day, starting in the afternoon, like the state tournament. The state tournament has a good atmosphere, but the road to the tournament is very boring. Ronnie Carter should seek advice from Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois instead of his pockets. If you build a great atmosphere the money will come. I am from Indiana and the atmosphere is awesome. Somebody please help this man. It's about the kids and parents, not Ronnie Carter's pockets. From a dissapointed fan.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way Kentucky does it.....They can do the way they do because they have no classifications,I'm not sure I want to go that far with Tennessee's format though....For example in Western Kentucky,they are about to start their regional tournament at Murray State..They bring the top two teams from four districts to a centralized location and do a blind draw and seed them....With that though,you have a team like Mayfield,who is a 1A size school competing with the likes of Marshall County and Paducah Tighlman...Marshall County HS has over 1300 students....I'm not real sure about the fairness in all of that...They make up for it I guess by staging what they call an All A Tournament in the middle of the season...All of the state's 1A teams play in what in essence is a state tournament in the middle of the season....I like the idea that you only have 1 second chance..If you lose in the regionals you are gone,whether it be in the 1st round or championship game....Then the winners of the 16 regions meet in Lexington to play their Sweet 16 State Tournament at Rupp Arena..They will have between 20 and 24,000 in attendance on their championship Saturday....Trenton Peabody is in a position to play for a state title this year after already losing three times in the post-season ...If they were to meet Humboldt they would be playing a team they have already lost to 5 times this season and actually lose four times and be state runner-up...... /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 4 2007 - 11:04 AM) 826399262[/snapback]I like the way Kentucky does it.....They can do the way they do because they have no classifications,I'm not sure I want to go that far with Tennessee's format though....For example in Western Kentucky,they are about to start their regional tournament at Murray State..They bring the top two teams from four districts to a centralized location and do a blind draw and seed them....With that though,you have a team like Mayfield,who is a 1A size school competing with the likes of Marshall County and Paducah Tighlman...Marshall County HS has over 1300 students....I'm not real sure about the fairness in all of that...They make up for it I guess by staging what they call an All A Tournament in the middle of the season...All of the state's 1A teams play in what in essence is a state tournament in the middle of the season....I like the idea that you only have 1 second chance..If you lose in the regionals you are gone,whether it be in the 1st round or championship game....Then the winners of the 16 regions meet in Lexington to play their Sweet 16 State Tournament at Rupp Arena..They will have between 20 and 24,000 in attendance on their championship Saturday....Trenton Peabody is in a position to play for a state title this year after already losing three times in the post-season ...If they were to meet Humboldt they would be playing a team they have already lost to 5 times this season and actually lose four times and be state runner-up...... /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Indiana has their semi state(equivalent to substate) at Mackey arena(Purdue University campus). and the state finals at Conseco Field House (home of the Indiana Pacers) and it's sold out every year. When I was in high school it was at Market Square Arena the old home of the Indiana Pacers. We did not have classes, but the competition was stronger, Tn needs classes because the competition is not as strong. But you should not be able to lose three times and call yourself a state champion. Centralize the locations.

I agree that teams should not be able to lose 3 games and still win the championship. And it would be great to have the sectionals at one location. But I like the regions being rotated between districts. Otherwise, the fans in our area wouldn't have had the chance to see a quality team like Liberty Tech play. also it might inspire some other player or team to want to make it that far.

Back when I was in school, now I'll tell my age, the only teams out of the district were the top two, the region two. This would eliminate some teams that lose 3 games.

I don't have a problem with the losing three times, most of the time teams that end up winning state don't lose three times anyway. But it nice that some teams can because its fun to watch upsets. Humboldt beating Union City and Lake Co. getting beat by Peabody, those were nice upsets. It gives everyone a chance, even if they do have a bad night. I like region tournament the way it is. Listen they tried to change substate once and came up with the sectionals at central locations and everyone hated it and complained and they went back to the old format, just left the sectional name on it. I don't like the no classification style like Kentucky has, there is no way that a team of under 300 students could compete with AAA school with over a thousand students. Your AAA and D2 schools would win every year. Lets leave the classifications to give the small schools a chance. Pickett co., Clarkrange (girls), teams like this would go from being power house single A teams, to just another school. I know that in just across the boarder in Clinton Co. KY they're one of the better teams our boys played this year. But they have little chance to win state because they won't be able to compete with those huge schools are louisville and lexington. I think its a good format, I just think that the stretchin out of the tournaments this year and having guys and girls games on different nights is crazy.

I like the format. Playing at 4:30 in the afternoon and getting home at midnight after playing game four of the night were awful. This allows "student athletes" to keep up with what is really important. I think schools are looking for gyms like Volunteer State, UTMartin or wherever to host tournaments but some schools aren't willing to host.

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Mar 4 2007 - 08:18 PM) 826399726[/snapback]Y'all are not getting it as the main point of it is for the TSSAA to rake in MORE money! After all they have some HUGE court fees to pay from the BA mess.

Sort of like the football series that has teams with losing records making the playoffs. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I think everyone is aware of the reasoning behind it.........That went without being said...

QUOTE(pdbmit @ Mar 4 2007 - 08:28 PM) 826399737[/snapback]I like the format. Playing at 4:30 in the afternoon and getting home at midnight after playing game four of the night were awful. This allows "student athletes" to keep up with what is really important. I think schools are looking for gyms like Volunteer State, UTMartin or wherever to host tournaments but some schools aren't willing to host.

The T.$.$.A.A has already done the sectional thing at centralized locations.....Apparently it wasn't making enough money...

QUOTE(catchpc10 @ Mar 4 2007 - 08:11 PM) 826399706[/snapback]I don't have a problem with the losing three times, most of the time teams that end up winning state don't lose three times anyway. But it nice that some teams can because its fun to watch upsets. Humboldt beating Union City and Lake Co. getting beat by Peabody, those were nice upsets. It gives everyone a chance, even if they do have a bad night. I like region tournament the way it is. Listen they tried to change substate once and came up with the sectionals at central locations and everyone hated it and complained and they went back to the old format, just left the sectional name on it. I don't like the no classification style like Kentucky has, there is no way that a team of under 300 students could compete with AAA school with over a thousand students. Your AAA and D2 schools would win every year. Lets leave the classifications to give the small schools a chance. Pickett co., Clarkrange (girls), teams like this would go from being power house single A teams, to just another school. I know that in just across the boarder in Clinton Co. KY they're one of the better teams our boys played this year. But they have little chance to win state because they won't be able to compete with those huge schools are louisville and lexington. I think its a good format, I just think that the stretchin out of the tournaments this year and having guys and girls games on different nights is crazy.

A team that loses three times AFTER the regular season ends has no business being crowned a state champion.....