Collinwood vs Trinity Christian

QUOTE(thelma @ Mar 8 2007 - 09:43 AM) 826404582[/snapback]I do have one thing to throw at the officials and NOT AT TCA PLAYERS OR FANS!!! I watched the game and saw how it happened but the stat on paper is even more unbelievable: Rebounds TCA 45, Collinwood 18. I cannot even begin to concieve that this could happen had the referees been more into this game! They were tighter than the girls but that leads into a much deeper issue that I simply have not found an answer too. Don't get me wrong, they had the advantage, clearly, but they pulled down more offensive rebounds than our girls did TOTAL rebounds. WOW!!! (let me also add the 'free throws shot' category" TCA 33, Collinwood 16)

Greenfieldfan already covered the rebounding issue, but I'll cover the free throws. 14 of TCA's 33 attempts came in the final two minutes of the game when Collinwood needed to foul and stop the clock.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there at the game, and I wondered something about Collinwood. It looked as if everyone besides Andrews and occassionally Daniel weren't quite sure to do with the ball. I don't mean that anyway ugly, but it looked as if they were looking for Andrews to do it all. I also wondered why they didn't take more three point shots. I remember telling someone that they need to get out there on her(Andrews), but they said well she's only taken one 3. I thought that was odd since she wasn't missing in warm-ups. I thought the refs let them play yesterday, and the fouls till the end were even for the most part. I just don't think Collinwood adjusted very well to the game. They have had a great season, and Andrews is an amazingly talent. With her leading the way and others stepping up, their future looks bright.

QUOTE(Greenfieldfan @ Mar 8 2007 - 10:03 AM) 826404603[/snapback]Its hard to form an opinion after one game but Trinity just beat Collinwood yesterday and I think they would beat them most of the time. As far as the rebound issue and it being so one sided and its the refs fault? I think TCA's height advantage was more of a factor. TCA is a very good team and they proved it yesterday.

Collinwood is a good team and Abby Andrews is a good player and she will win Miss Basketball next year.

The word on the street is that Abby Andrews brother can't "hoop" worth a lick.

Bighurt, you behave yourself!!! My goodness, I didnt even know you were still hanging around these message boards. I hope time has treated you well. Don't pick on the brother, in his day he could take any of us to school!! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(thelma @ Mar 8 2007 - 09:43 AM) 826404582[/snapback]Hollywood, you know me, the only smack I can talk is to my friends in private!!! I think we have already hashed out what is wrong with our program and it was played out for ALL to see yesterday.

Jamieroper, I would love to talk with you as well because you seem to see the problems, that we have here, all the way from Giles County. I have some serious concerns about, not only yesterdays games, but the way this entire season was played out/coached. You mention the skill level of Andrews and the shooting ability that she has and I read on another post that she passed up too many open shots to be considered for Ms. Basketball, the truth of the matter is she is COACHED like this. Most fans have tried to keep their lips tight about this problem publicly but its hard to avoid when so many posts are being made by other teams' fans speaking to the problem.

I know what you're saying, what good am I doing? Well, I know I won't accomplish much by posting here but I suppose I might feel a little better when i'm finished. And i'm not in the business of starting problems. There isn't one person that wants more to see this program go to the next level, consistently, but we do not have the mindset in place to do that at this time.

I do have one thing to throw at the officials and NOT AT TCA PLAYERS OR FANS!!! I watched the game and saw how it happened but the stat on paper is even more unbelievable: Rebounds TCA 45, Collinwood 18. I cannot even begin to concieve that this could happen had the referees been more into this game! They were tighter than the girls but that leads into a much deeper issue that I simply have not found an answer too. Don't get me wrong, they had the advantage, clearly, but they pulled down more offensive rebounds than our girls did TOTAL rebounds. WOW!!! (let me also add the 'free throws shot' category" TCA 33, Collinwood 16)

Regardless, Congratulations to Collinwood on a great season, you have given us some great memories and we look forward to next year. Congratulations to TCA on the win and good luck with O.S.

The problem I see in Andrews, well, her style of play, is the same I see in our point guard, Glidden. It can all be compared directly to the style of play by Ms. Hudson of Gleason. All 3 are team players. There is no doubting that. They all 3 check their egos at the door. That is why they will all succeed. However at some point and time, someone, on most teams, has to become option #1 on offense. Hudson has taken on the role. Andrews and Glidden have not, although they do at times. It is not a bad thing that Hudson has and the other 2 have not. Andrews and Glidden want so much to see their teammates succeed that at times they actually hurt their teams by being unselfish. However, that same attitude will serve them both well in college when they have 4 other starters that are also scoring threats. If Andrews and/or Glidden either one decide to become option #1 and look to score first, their team will be great. Let me explain my opinion a little further. Ms. Hudson is option #1 for Gleason. She knows it and drives every chance she gets. Her ability to force teams to attack her has opened up her teammates for their shots. When that happens, everyone succeeds. Ms. Hudson gets her points, and many of them, and her teammates stay involved too. The biggest asset I see in Ms. Hudson is her floor vision. She knows where everyone on the floor is at all times. Cut off her drive to the basket, she knows immediately where she is going to pass the ball. Andrews and Glidden will pass first many times when they should shoot or drive. Allot of times it falls back on coaching. I know that Coach Hall has told Glidden to take over games. And she can if she chooses. But she does not all the time. Probably because she wants so badly to see her teammates succeed. Most coaches would kill to have such players that are so unselfish. I know Glidden went over 1200 or 1300 points, maybe more, this year. She would have 2000 plus as a junior if I were her coach. Sometimes coaches talk too much about "running the play". I have seen girls who could simply turn around and be wide open under the basket but would not because the PLAY said for her to go the other way. I see that with both Collinwood and Richland. Sometimes Coaches make offense too complicated. The purpose of offense is TO SCORE. Do so quickly, then take the ball back and do it again.

Wow, did I say anything that made sense? No? OK.

Andrews and Glidden both, in my opinion, have a better chance of playing for a larger college than Ms. Hudson does. However, both Andrews and Glidden could gain by watching some tape of Ms. Hudson play.

I say that about Ms. Hudson because of her size. I understand she has signed with a hometown college and I know they are proud to have her. But it would be fun to watch that little young lady try out for some bigger schools. They may just find that that little fireball could play SEC ball as point guard. She is impressive.

Take care and good luck.

QUOTE(thelma @ Mar 8 2007 - 12:02 PM) 826404761[/snapback]Bighurt, you behave yourself!!! My goodness, I didnt even know you were still hanging around these message boards. I hope time has treated you well. Don't pick on the brother, in his day he could take any of us to school!! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And the older I get the better is was. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

QUOTE(Greenfieldfan @ Mar 8 2007 - 01:52 PM) 826404998[/snapback]I dont think I'd call Union University a little hometown college. They are the two time defending NAIA National Champs and could beat many Division 1 schools. Kayla could have gone to a bigger Division 1 school but sometimes bigger is not always better. Coach Campbell, Union & Kayla are a perfect fit to help win 4 more National titles. Union does a great job of recruiting local girls and winning. It can be done much to the disbelief of UTM and several of their loyal supporters.

I do not think I used to term LITTLE to describe the college. And I do believe that it is in her hometown from other posts, or at least close to it. I am sure they have done great things in the past. I know they will be proud to get Ms. Hudson. She can only add to their success.

Dont worry Jamie, you didnt call Union little. I think everyone that knows Tennessee Sports knows Unions accomplishments. Greenfield just likes to pick on people /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I agree with your post. I have seen several players come through the Collinwood program whose style of play was just as you described, they did succeed at the college level. However, tell me how exciting it is to see a player, like you describe in Hudson, that WILL check their ego at the door and still kick your tale on the floor!!! I thought Abby did a better job of taking charge yesterday than she had all year, but until yesterday the games didnt mean as much.

I feel like you also have a team issue many times when you have a player who is that good. Often team jealousies do not allow you to have much success, even though you are playing with a player so talented. Believe it or not you often have a coach that will hold a player like that back for the sake of the team? Is it fair? Is it poor coaching? Opinions differ on those questions. Regardless, the most we can do about it is, well, pretty much nothing! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I know you're excited about Glidden and all of Region 11-A next year, good luck. Season starts now!!!

P.S.

Perhaps the reason Coach Clark jumped on Hudson is because he overlooked a little guard from Collinwood 5 years ago who became a 2 time all american at Freed Hardeman! Good luck to Kayla, its a storied program and i'm sure she will enjoy much success there.

QUOTE(thelma @ Mar 8 2007 - 02:14 PM) 826405039[/snapback]Dont worry Jamie, you didnt call Union little. I think everyone that knows Tennessee Sports knows Unions accomplishments. Greenfield just likes to pick on people /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> I agree with your post. I have seen several players come through the Collinwood program whose style of play was just as you described, they did succeed at the college level. However, tell me how exciting it is to see a player, like you describe in Hudson, that WILL check their ego at the door and still kick your tale on the floor!!! I thought Abby did a better job of taking charge yesterday than she had all year, but until yesterday the games didnt mean as much.

I feel like you also have a team issue many times when you have a player who is that good. Often team jealousies do not allow you to have much success, even though you are playing with a player so talented. Believe it or not you often have a coach that will hold a player like that back for the sake of the team? Is it fair? Is it poor coaching? Opinions differ on those questions. Regardless, the most we can do about it is, well, pretty much nothing! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I know you're excited about Glidden and all of Region 11-A next year, good luck. Season starts now!!!

P.S.

Perhaps the reason Coach Clark jumped on Hudson is because he overlooked a little guard from Collinwood 5 years ago who became a 2 time all american at Freed Hardeman! Good luck to Kayla, its a storied program and i'm sure she will enjoy much success there.

It is the coaches job to put the players (team) into the best possible position to win. That is easier in girls than boys if you know what you are doing. A good coach can mold each player to fit into a team scheme. That scheme will allow the great players to excel and every other player to reach their maximum potential. Most coaches fail in some degree to achieve this level. There is a name for the one's that do not fail, they are called Champions.

A great coach will never hold a player back. The coach will do as i said above, mold that player's talents and ability into a scheme to maximize the team's ability to excell.

I believe the Jackson County coach has at least 4 championships. He knows what he is doing!!!!! I do not know anything about the Gleason Coach. I know he has a good team and has years of experience. This game should be great to watch. Gleason did not back down any against Forrest and they took it to them. Jackson County plays the same type game with no superstars. If I have to pick, I would pick Jackson County.

That probably means Gleason will win by 30. I cannot pick games at all.

Good luck to both teams.

QUOTE(Greenfieldfan @ Mar 8 2007 - 10:03 AM) 826404603[/snapback]Its hard to form an opinion after one game but Trinity just beat Collinwood yesterday and I think they would beat them most of the time. As far as the rebound issue and it being so one sided and its the refs fault? I think TCA's height advantage was more of a factor. TCA is a very good team and they proved it yesterday.

Collinwood is a good team and Abby Andrews is a good player and she will win Miss Basketball next year.

First of all, congrats to TCA on a well played game and hard fought victory. Good luck tomorrow. I will however have to disagree with the "they would beat them most of the time" comment. True, C'wood got BEAT yesterday, no doubt about that. Though we need to remember (with the exception of Abby) that we had our worst shooting game of the year, and I don't mean just missed shots, that also includes shot selection. I'm sure, that with the opportunity to play that game again, many of the shots that were continuously blocked would not be taken the second time around. Our girls were a little lost in that respect with absolutly no guidance on the sideline. At no point did coach say, "ya know, maybe we need to quit trying to pound it inside and shoot on the big girls". No, not Mr. egomaniac, he says let's show them.........meanwhile another shot just got swatted into the tenth row! Ok, I got off track, my point of this was to say, I don't think TCA was as impressive as everyone is trying to portray. In fact, there's little doubt in my mind, that C'wood would come out on top if given another chance with the first experience under their belt. Regardless, that's the beauty of State Tournament basketball. You don't know what to expect and many times that's what gives teams an early exit. So congrats to TCA. You guys wanted it more, and simply played with more desire and will. Hopefully this will give Collinwood some motivation to get back next year and redeem themselves. Congrats to all of you ladies on a great season! Can't wait till next year!!!!

Ok, TCA supporters.......let me have it! Cause I know you want to!!!!!!!! /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

I won't let you have it cause you do bring up some valid points. I kept wondering why in the world they kept going inside, but they did time and time again. However, nothing beats hustle and true grit. Sometimes that is all it takes to impress people, whether you feel that way or not. I just felt Trinity had more of that yesterday. Three times, 5'2" Henderson rebounded her own shot and got putbacks. I wouldn't say 9 times out of 10 TCA would win, but they just played better as a team. Andrews had 28 of the 43 points for Collinwood. It looked like most of the plays were designed for her(for good reason), but at some point others have to step up in that situation to take some of the load off of her. I'm sure this one game does not reflect how they have played the entire season, as TCA's probably doesn't either. Collinwood could definitely use this as motivation for next year. Until then, that not-so-impressive team will keep hustling and playing till their done. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(spojo20 @ Mar 8 2007 - 08:42 PM) 826405545[/snapback]I won't let you have it cause you do bring up some valid points. I kept wondering why in the world they kept going inside, but they did time and time again. However, nothing beats hustle and true grit. Sometimes that is all it takes to impress people, whether you feel that way or not. I just felt Trinity had more of that yesterday. Three times, 5'2" Henderson rebounded her own shot and got putbacks. I wouldn't say 9 times out of 10 TCA would win, but they just played better as a team. Andrews had 28 of the 43 points for Collinwood. It looked like most of the plays were designed for her(for good reason), but at some point others have to step up in that situation to take some of the load off of her. I'm sure this one game does not reflect how they have played the entire season, as TCA's probably doesn't either. Collinwood could definitely use this as motivation for next year. Until then, that not-so-impressive team will keep hustling and playing till their done. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Well said.......and thanks for going easy on me! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />