Private School to Public School Transfer?

JPigg34

My cousin played baseball at a Chattanooga private school for two seasons (6th and 7th grades). He now plays at a Chattanooga public school. The coach called today and said he might not be eligible.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Should he be eligible since we are talking middle school here and not high school varsity?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Mar 7 2007 - 04:27 PM) 826403803[/snapback]that is a good question i dont think they are tight in middle school as they are with high schools will you let us know what the final answer ends up being and if he is ruled ineligible let us know why

thanks

Don't think it matters a lick in middle school, or if for example he has switched between 8 and 9 grade.

QUOTE(JustBeingNosy @ Mar 8 2007 - 09:11 AM) 826404550[/snapback]I am almost positive you can transfer one time from public to private or vice versa without having to sit out a year.

Not true!!! If you transfer from a public to a private school or a private school to a public school without a physical residence move you are not eligible to participate in high school athletics for one season. However, you may request a hardship waiver and the board would have to vote on the hardship. I have never known the board not grant the request if the student/athlete goes from a private school to a public school but I have never heard of them granting the request if a student/athlete wanted to transfer from a public school to a private school or from one private school to another private school.

It makes you wonder what is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 8 2007 - 11:56 AM) 826404671[/snapback]Not true!!! If you transfer from a public to a private school or a private school to a public school without a physical residence move you are not eligible to participate in high school athletics for one season. However, you may request a hardship waiver and the board would have to vote on the hardship. I have never known the board not grant the request if the student/athlete goes from a private school to a public school but I have never heard of them granting the request if a student/athlete wanted to transfer from a public school to a private school or from one private school to another private school.

Well i know people who had a hardship and was going to public from private as an 8th grader (played varsity) and she had to sit out a year and i also know aguy who left a public school went to a private school AND moved and still lost a year of elegiblity

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 8 2007 - 11:56 AM) 826404671[/snapback]Not true!!! If you transfer from a public to a private school or a private school to a public school without a physical residence move you are not eligible to participate in high school athletics for one season. However, you may request a hardship waiver and the board would have to vote on the hardship. I have never known the board not grant the request if the student/athlete goes from a private school to a public school but I have never heard of them granting the request if a student/athlete wanted to transfer from a public school to a private school or from one private school to another private school.

Thanks for your clearing that up for us but we are talking about middle school not high school we already know those rules....

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Mar 8 2007 - 12:46 PM) 826404842[/snapback]Well i know people who had a hardship and was going to public from private as an 8th grader (played varsity) and she had to sit out a year and i also know aguy who left a public school went to a private school AND moved and still lost a year of elegiblity

Not saying that you are wrong but in the last 10-15 years I have never heard of a student/athlete going from a public to a private being allowed to participate unless they transfered in the 9th grade and they did not have a high school athletic record. I have been told that you can go from a public to a private (boarding school) and you will be eligible if you are a boarding student. For the life of me I don't know what the difference would be?

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 8 2007 - 10:56 AM) 826404671[/snapback]Not true!!! If you transfer from a public to a private school or a private school to a public school without a physical residence move you are not eligible to participate in high school athletics for one season. However, you may request a hardship waiver and the board would have to vote on the hardship. I have never known the board not grant the request if the student/athlete goes from a private school to a public school but I have never heard of them granting the request if a student/athlete wanted to transfer from a public school to a private school or from one private school to another private school.

I don't believe this is a board decision. If think, it is the decision ultimately is made by the Executuve Director, Ronnie Carter.

I agree with you. I have never heard of a hardship waiver being granted for a public to private transfer.

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 8 2007 - 02:39 PM) 826404972[/snapback]Not saying that you are wrong but in the last 10-15 years I have never heard of a student/athlete going from a public to a private being allowed to participate unless they transfered in the 9th grade and they did not have a high school athletic record. I have been told that you can go from a public to a private (boarding school) and you will be eligible if you are a boarding student. For the life of me I don't know what the difference would be?

i said he went from a public to private and was inelegible and he moved. She went from private to public with a true hardship financial records and all to prove it and she was turned down too she played varsity as an 8th grader and she was ineligible her freshman year at a public school i think we said the same thing