A question for Div. II fans

I`m addressing this questions for folks who support teams in Div.II.

What do you feel is the interest in Div. II schools being back in Div.I?

I don`t support a Div.II school, but in the interest of a fan I would like to see everyone back in the same fold. But I`m wondering how Div.II schools would react if given the chance to come back. I know before they were allowed 3 student/athletes to get some sort of financial aid. Now they can have however many they want. Have they become so accustomed to this that it would be hard to go back to only having 3?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all want to be back together in a District or Region so that they have an easier time with schedules and they could eliminate the long travel. When schools are forced to travel 4 hours for regular season games and get home at 2:00am then something is wrong with high school athletics.

Speaking from the stand point of a school that use to be DII and moved back to DI, It is so much easier getting a schedule, it is so much less travel time, and it is so much more money at the gate, Lets face it Baylor and McCallie don't bring any fans during a weekday event, and few during a weekend event, Catholic's gate has shot up due to rivalries with "local" teams. It is a lot fairer to the kids not to have to travel two hours on a week night. Catholic's situation was unique in that we had a cray lady running the school and moved us back to DI without anyones' fore knowledge, it was hard because a Number of kids had to sit out, due to aide. But it only took a year to adjust.

QUOTE(KCHSCoach @ Mar 10 2007 - 02:07 PM) 826407333[/snapback]Speaking from the stand point of a school that use to be DII and moved back to DI, It is so much easier getting a schedule, it is so much less travel time, and it is so much more money at the gate, Lets face it Baylor and McCallie don't bring any fans during a weekday event, and few during a weekend event, Catholic's gate has shot up due to rivalries with "local" teams. It is a lot fairer to the kids not to have to travel two hours on a week night. Catholic's situation was unique in that we had a cray lady running the school and moved us back to DI without anyones' fore knowledge, it was hard because a Number of kids had to sit out, due to aide. But it only took a year to adjust.

Good post.

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Mar 10 2007 - 10:53 AM) 826407186[/snapback]That`s kinda what I thought. I had just got to thinking that these schools might have to transition back to a limited number of or no players on aid and ithat it might be tough to tell some current student athletes they can no longer play.

Would like to hear from more folks on this.

Limiting the number of kids on financial aid that can participate in athletics is a non-starter. That's why the schools in DII are in DII to begin with, and nothing will change that if a limitation is part of the deal.

QUOTE(itzme @ Mar 12 2007 - 03:24 PM) 826409269[/snapback]Limiting the number of kids on financial aid that can participate in athletics is a non-starter. That's why the schools in DII are in DII to begin with, and nothing will change that if a limitation is part of the deal.

There was a limit before the D2 split for all privates.

This why I'm for the split. Let the publics and privates play during regular season but not in post season. If there was a split, TSSAA could focus on open zones in public and recruiting in privates. If privates need to recruit then they need to be in their own legue like they are. For those publics abusing open zones now, they should be investigated as like the privates who recruit now in DI.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 12 2007 - 08:20 PM) 826409494[/snapback]This why I'm for the split. Let the publics and privates play during regular season but not in post season. If there was a split, TSSAA could focus on open zones in public and recruiting in privates. If privates need to recruit then they need to be in their own legue like they are. For those publics abusing open zones now, they should be investigated as like the privates who recruit now in DI.

Ahem, privates don't recruit. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

it is and always should be against the rules to recruit.

DII schools cannot recruit any more than DI privates or publics. It's against the rules in all divisions. I am not saying it doesn't happen but I have heard people say time and time again that DII schools can recruit.

And yes, we all know that some private and public schools do recruit.

The diff is offering need based financial assistant to athletes.

And yes, I do believe most DII schools would like to either have all privates together or eliminate DII.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 12 2007 - 08:20 PM) 826409494[/snapback]This why I'm for the split. Let the publics and privates play during regular season but not in post season. If there was a split, TSSAA could focus on open zones in public and recruiting in privates. If privates need to recruit then they need to be in their own legue like they are. For those publics abusing open zones now, they should be investigated as like the privates who recruit now in DI.

How does a school abuse the open zone policy. In Nashville all the student has to do is take a class that is not offered at his public school and they all offer at least one class that the other high schools do not offer. In other counties that have an open zone policy all the student must do is furnish their own transportation and they can attend any school in their county. In the magnet schools they openly recruit the middle & elementary school students with their overall academic & athletic programs and it is legal. Do we even need to get into what happens in the Memphis city schools?

If BA wins the court battle you and I both know that BA will call most of the shots and help redefine the TSSAA.

QUOTE(tnsddeveloper @ Mar 13 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826410044[/snapback]Ahem, privates don't recruit. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

and the world is flat.

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 13 2007 - 01:13 PM) 826410351[/snapback]How does a school abuse the open zone policy. In Nashville all the student has to do is take a class that is not offered at his public school and they all offer at least one class that the other high schools do not offer. In other counties that have an open zone policy all the student must do is furnish their own transportation and they can attend any school in their county. In the magnet schools they openly recruit the middle & elementary school students with their overall academic & athletic programs and it is legal. Do we even need to get into what happens in the Memphis city schools?

If BA wins the court battle you and I both know that BA will call most of the shots and help redefine the TSSAA.

Coaches are able to draw students from all over if it is open zoneing. In MP there is a zone and MP cannot have kids from Columbia or SH. They have to have a permanet address change in the MP zone to be able to play ball for MP. If it were open zoning kids could just travel the 30- 45 minutes to play without any conflict. That is a problem with the publics, and we all know how open it is with the privates. They can have kids from 9 to 10 differerent counties attend with no conflict.