Shot clock in Tennessee HS basketball

QUOTE(McMinn Central Maniac @ Mar 11 2007 - 07:04 AM) 826407870[/snapback]I've pondered this idea for a while, and I've come to the conclusion that I think it should happen. My biggest reason is the inconsistencies among officials about the five second rule. I couldn't tell you how many times just this past season that I've seen a player being closely guarded dribble around for ten seconds or more before the the ref even starts the count. This would also do away with playing keep away for a quarter or more and force teams to actually play basketball.

I think a 40 second clock would be doable. Opinions?

A shot clock rule would not necessarily affect the 5 second closely guarded rule. Colleges (men and women) still have that rule even with a shot clock.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never given much thought about a shot clock until watching the Class A title game Saturday night because I had never seen a team play "stall ball" for that long. I wish they would have had it for that game though. As for most nights, it's not needed. If they did have one, 40 or 45 seconds would be fine. But I doubt it will happen because most teams don't hold it for 10 minutes at a time and most schools wouldn't want to pay for them (at least I don't think they would). Like I said, I've watched a lot of games and never thought about it before Saturday night.

QUOTE(goosevol @ Mar 11 2007 - 10:40 PM) 826408607[/snapback]I had never given much thought about a shot clock until watching the Class A title game Saturday night because I had never seen a team play "stall ball" for that long. I wish they would have had it for that game though. As for most nights, it's not needed. If they did have one, 40 or 45 seconds would be fine. But I doubt it will happen because most teams don't hold it for 10 minutes at a time and most schools wouldn't want to pay for them (at least I don't think they would). Like I said, I've watched a lot of games and never thought about it before Saturday night.

I doubt most teams could do it as well as Gleason did.

QUOTE(goosevol @ Mar 11 2007 - 10:40 PM) 826408607[/snapback]I had never given much thought about a shot clock until watching the Class A title game Saturday night because I had never seen a team play "stall ball" for that long. I wish they would have had it for that game though. As for most nights, it's not needed. If they did have one, 40 or 45 seconds would be fine. But I doubt it will happen because most teams don't hold it for 10 minutes at a time and most schools wouldn't want to pay for them (at least I don't think they would). Like I said, I've watched a lot of games and never thought about it before Saturday night.

Good post.

And though I was pulling for Oliver Springs because of the the East Tennessee location, Volunteer General is right; Gleason still had to hit those free-throws. Elizabethton experienced the same thing with Stone Memorial. But again, the Lady Panthers hit their foul shots.

I'm all for Shot Clocks, and I doubt there'd be a lot of operator problems for the referees.

And I doubt the expense is the biggest deciding factor. How much are they? Isn't it basicly a big stop-watch with a light. Most cell phones have a stop watch. Maybe we could just call in when it's time. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

QUOTE(McMinn Central Maniac @ Mar 11 2007 - 07:04 AM) 826407870[/snapback]I've pondered this idea for a while, and I've come to the conclusion that I think it should happen. My biggest reason is the inconsistencies among officials about the five second rule. I couldn't tell you how many times just this past season that I've seen a player being closely guarded dribble around for ten seconds or more before the the ref even starts the count. This would also do away with playing keep away for a quarter or more and force teams to actually play basketball.

I think a 40 second clock would be doable. Opinions?

We brought up this issue when we came back from the Best of The West Tournament in California. They use the shot clock in California, we thought it really helped our team. If you looked at the scores in the TSSAA State tournament, on the most part they were very low. Most of the teams that got any type of a lead went into their delay or control games. Some would call that good coaching, I call it boring! I believe we should be consistent with the college game and AAU basketball.

I still say no to the shot clock. To begin with each school would be responsible for getting, installing, and getting people to run the clock. Think about all the errors the regular clock has, imagine a shot clock doubling the chance of errors. What about the small schools that can barely get people to run the clock at there home games and now you just doubled that problem. If you pay your clock people then it doubles the expense to the school. I know our refs our bad but I actually went somewhere else and came back home saying I'll never complain about ours again. It just gives them another chance to screw up what they already do. As for the teams on the court: 1 team holding the ball 1 team defending 2 coaches. I can come up with all kinds of scenarios to give reasons why holding the ball is beneficial to a team but I won't. The only thing I will aknowledge is the excitement aspect. When did high school basketball become the purpose of ones entertainment. I always thought of it as a game that is meant to be won by one team or another. That's just part of my 2cents. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(MrSandman @ Mar 12 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826409040[/snapback]I still say no to the shot clock. To begin with each school would be responsible for getting, installing, and getting people to run the clock. Think about all the errors the regular clock has, imagine a shot clock doubling the chance of errors. What about the small schools that can barely get people to run the clock at there home games and now you just doubled that problem. If you pay your clock people then it doubles the expense to the school. I know our refs our bad but I actually went somewhere else and came back home saying I'll never complain about ours again. It just gives them another chance to screw up what they already do. As for the teams on the court: 1 team holding the ball 1 team defending 2 coaches. I can come up with all kinds of scenarios to give reasons why holding the ball is beneficial to a team but I won't. The only thing I will aknowledge is the excitement aspect. When did high school basketball become the purpose of ones entertainment. I always thought of it as a game that is meant to be won by one team or another. That's just part of my 2cents. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Winning is prioity number one, but entertaining basketball is becoming more & more

important if you want to compete for today's entertainment dollar. Unlike 20-30

years ago, people are much more mobile & have a lot of other options for their

entertainment.

Maybe that's why attendance was lagging this year at the girls state. And it was

lagging big time in lots of gymnasiums that were once packed to he rafters.

QUOTE(tigerman @ Mar 12 2007 - 02:20 PM) 826409265[/snapback]Winning is prioity number one, but entertaining basketball is becoming more & more

important if you want to compete for today's entertainment dollar. Unlike 20-30

years ago, people are much more mobile & have a lot of other options for their

entertainment.

Maybe that's why attendance was lagging this year at the girls state. And it was

lagging big time in lots of gymnasiums that were once packed to he rafters.

It`s been my observation that if a team is winning people will come watch them play.

Gleason's style of play for the last 20 years has been a slow down game, yet it was more so this year than in years past. Apparently some of the coaches did not do their homework or they would have known that. Sometimes during this particular season even in the 1st quarter of the game, Gleason would go 2 or 3 minutes before shooting the ball - they were looking for a particular play plus after a minute or two, the defense will always get lazy.

Also, the slow style has not hurt the attendance at Gleason - I believe Gleason had twice the fans that Oliver Springs had. I don't know how many students that Oliver Springs has in their school but Gleason only has 166 students in school and about 1,400 in the community. In substate, Gleason had about 900 fans verses 300 for Scotts Hill.

Just remember offense gets your name in the paper, but defense wins game especially championships. The girl who plays defense gets little credit other than the fact they get a championship ring.

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORIES OF THE PALMERSVILLE PIRATES!

Gleason's coach put high school basketball back 50 years with his "stall ball" in the 4th quarter. A shot clock should be implemented by the TSSAA. Anytime a team that has only lost one game feels the need to stall with 6 minutes left in the game with just a 2 point lead is simply "bad basketball". Middle school teams with players that are just learning the rules of the game who are evolving into better players are teams that should maybe hold onto the ball for 2-4 minutes per possession in running an offense.

Make no mistake about it, If Glerason would have won playing "normal" basketball I would be the first to congratulate them. However, what their coach pulled was an embarrasment to Tennessee girls basketball which is typicall regarded as the pinnacle of girls high school basketball throughout the country.

Fans of the tourney deserved to see basketball played at its highest level exhibiting great plays by great players to decide a close game in the 4th Quarter on a stage as big as the State Championship game. Instead Gleason's coach delivering a boring brand of"stall ball" where he wanted free throws and officials to dictate who won the game playing "gimmick" brand of basketball usually only ran by inferior talented teams when playing a superior team.

"Just remember offense gets your name in the paper, but defense wins game especially championships. The girl who plays defense gets little credit other than the fact they get a championship ring. "

You are mistaken. Defense has nothing to do with Gleason's championship run. The low scoring is a product of holding onto the ball on offense, not "great defense" There is a huge difference in good defense versus a team that holds onto the ball on offense and as a result the opposing team's scoring is low. Most would assume the low scoring is the product of great defense. Actually its the product of stall ball where each team doesn't have opportunities to score the basketball because of the gimmick offense Gleason runs.

Gimmick Basketball=

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

No shot clock!!! The only thing that matters is the W. 20 years from now no one will remember the details, only that you won. I've coached college and serious AAU and love the clock and the pace of the game but not on the high school level. Don't want to get the ball held on you, then get the lead, teach good man to man, have pressing trapping defenses. Don't play 2-3 zone only and then complain that the other team held the ball. The fact is that most high schools don't have more than 1 good ballhandler so you shouldn't have the ball held against you. Some teams are limited offensively but defensively it is mainly teaching, heart and hustle and all teams can be taught this. Plus as much as all you guys complain about refs, home team parents at the table, etc. you can't imagine the training to do this correctly. The expense is only a one time expense and most schools could find budget room.(Do you need uniforms EVERY year?). Just my opinion.