TSSAA Dead Period

cbg

The TSSAA has proposed having a 2nd dead period for all sports and the wrestling dead period that they have proposed would be July 8-August 18. With the Cadet & Junior Nationals scheduled for July 20-26 in Fargo, ND will this not hurt the wrestlers wishing to participate in this great event?

This is nothing more than a COMMUNIST RULE that is trying to punish any coach or team that is trying to out work their competition.

If a coach or team wants to take some time off that is great but why do we need legislate what our athletes and coaches do during the offseason.

Where would Dan Gable be if he had not been able to out work his competition?

We use to reward and look up to those individuals that worked hard and were successful but it seems like we are now trying to punish them.

While I agree with little the TSSAA does concerning wrestling, I will point out there are no restrictions on what the athelete can do. The dead period only restricts coach contact with his wrestlers. There will be little reaction from most of the wrestling coaches because this generally only affects the top programs and coaches who work through the summer. For the "give me my supplement" coaches, news like this is a blessing.

Kids that truely want to work and get better will always find a way.

The funny thing about this is....Bradley kids could go to Soddy and practice all summer under the suppervision of Coach Henry AND the Soddy kids could spend the summer working with Coach Logsdon. Makes perfect sense huh?

QUOTE(BayouBear @ Mar 15 2007 - 11:23 PM) 826413740[/snapback]While I agree with little the TSSAA does concerning wrestling, I will point out there are no restrictions on what the athelete can do. The dead period only restricts coach contact with his wrestlers. There will be little reaction from most of the wrestling coaches because this generally only affects the top programs and coaches who work through the summer. For the "give me my supplement" coaches, news like this is a blessing.

Kids that truely want to work and get better will always find a way.

The funny thing about this is....Bradley kids could go to Soddy and practice all summer under the suppervision of Coach Henry AND the Soddy kids could spend the summer working with Coach Logsdon. Makes perfect sense huh?

The part that talks about the 50% rule would eliminate the kid's ability to practice together with his teammates during the spring at ANY venue. He could not begin until school had let out for the summer.

QUOTE(bigchief @ Mar 16 2007 - 10:09 AM) 826414057[/snapback]The part that talks about the 50% rule would eliminate the kid's ability to practice together with his teammates during the spring at ANY venue. He could not begin until school had let out for the summer.

As written in the legislative council minutes of actions taken, the 50% participation rule applies only to basketabll, baseball and softball. I don't think it affects wrestling:

............... Added a 50% rule that applies to basketball, baseball, and softball prior to the season beginning and during the school year. Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (i.e., 3 in basketball, 5 in baseball and softball).

• 2 weeks later...

The closing of school facilities like the school's weight room and wrestling room really puts a damper on a wrestler's training if they do not have transportation. For a lot of underclassmen and juniors and seniors without cars or money to go to private training facilities(like paying 30 bucks to work out for two weeks at the rush), this dead period almost prevents them from practicing. Not saying that the truly committed wouldn't find a place to work out or wrestle, im just saying it makes things much harder on them

I do have one question, though. If a wrestler plays another sport, such as football, could they get their other coach to open up the weight room so that they could work out during the dead period, and vice versa during the football dead period?