Chattanooga area top 10

Indian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why it's so bad for GPS to be proud they won it, with teams like Soddy and Mt Juliet in it this year. I'm not a fan of GPS or any of their rivals either really, one way or the other. The most that's being said about it so far is by Topgame, who doesn't want it being said over and over but keeps posting.

QUOTE(PoppaPanther @ Apr 10 2007 - 04:59 PM) 826434119[/snapback]Saw GPS play a couple of games at Soddy over the weekend. No doubt in my mind they were the best team there. Probably the most complete team I've seen all year.

Maybe I am wrong....but shouldn't we expect GPS to be one of the best...if not the best. I have heard that they recruit and actually offer "scholarships" to girls with athletic ability. I don't know about Baylor, or the others acrosst the state, but it would seem that this is why some of the best programs are DII schools. I have no problem with it....I mean if the girls can get a better education via this route then that is great, but you are comparing apples to oranges.

There is something to be said for program that through its dedication to the sport its and community support system can put together girls from an small area who can achieve consistent greatness....not just offer and pull the best from the greater Chattanooga area and field a team. Don't get me wrong....I know some "recruiting" occurs at every good program....but in the DI schools, you pretty much have to live in the area you play in, right? That says alot for teams with talent at every position like Soddy (and others). I mean, how many of the 9 starters at Soddy will play college ball? By the way, I am not from Soddy...or even Chattanooga....but I am a fan of any school that achive consistent greatness.

neither GPS or Baylor offer scholarships. For recruiting, that was McCallie in the 90's with the wrestling program. GPS has actually been "on the rise" in softball these last few years. I don't know about Baylor, but i know GPS puts much more emphasis on the academic side of things than the athletic side. Coming from a public school, we went at least 50-50 with Baylor and McCallie in men's sports, and domnated GPS and Baylor in women's. I think public schools have the advantage a lot of times based on sheer numbers. For example, SD-1800 students for grades 9-12; GPS-maybe 400 for grades 6-12. My opinion is GPS just happens to have the best team around this year. They're essentially the same team from last year, minus Lamberson and a few others. Another thing, you can pretty much attend the public school of your chopice as long as you're willing to provide your own transportation. You simply get a hardship transfer, not difficult to get. People also move to specific areas to go to certain schools to play sports. It's simple.

QUOTE(Indian @ Apr 8 2007 - 11:31 AM) 826432309[/snapback]What do Hixson and Sale Creek have to do with Soddy-Daisy? And I'm sure Baylor and GPS have some players from up that way but I'm sure they have a lot of girls from the east side of the county and the mountains too.

what they have to do with it is alot of the girls at hixson and sale creek are zoned for soddy but they obviously can't start so they go where they know they can play...as for gps and baylor not so much most of the team but a couple of key contributors to their team Baylor 3rd baseman kaitlin sutherland, center feilder alex card. gps i think just has one the catcher amy campbell who is the sister of soddys great wrestler and football play paul campbell

QUOTE(sd189 @ Apr 13 2007 - 10:20 AM) 826436597[/snapback]neither GPS or Baylor offer scholarships. For recruiting, that was McCallie in the 90's with the wrestling program. GPS has actually been "on the rise" in softball these last few years. I don't know about Baylor, but i know GPS puts much more emphasis on the academic side of things than the athletic side. Coming from a public school, we went at least 50-50 with Baylor and McCallie in men's sports, and domnated GPS and Baylor in women's. I think public schools have the advantage a lot of times based on sheer numbers. For example, SD-1800 students for grades 9-12; GPS-maybe 400 for grades 6-12. My opinion is GPS just happens to have the best team around this year. They're essentially the same team from last year, minus Lamberson and a few others. Another thing, you can pretty much attend the public school of your chopice as long as you're willing to provide your own transportation. You simply get a hardship transfer, not difficult to get. People also move to specific areas to go to certain schools to play sports. It's simple.

Speed like I saw in GPS is not taught. I've seen that type of speed recruited, but never taught.

QUOTE(sd189 @ Apr 13 2007 - 10:20 AM) 826436597[/snapback]neither GPS or Baylor offer scholarships. For recruiting, that was McCallie in the 90's with the wrestling program. GPS has actually been "on the rise" in softball these last few years. I don't know about Baylor, but i know GPS puts much more emphasis on the academic side of things than the athletic side. Coming from a public school, we went at least 50-50 with Baylor and McCallie in men's sports, and domnated GPS and Baylor in women's. I think public schools have the advantage a lot of times based on sheer numbers. For example, SD-1800 students for grades 9-12; GPS-maybe 400 for grades 6-12. My opinion is GPS just happens to have the best team around this year. They're essentially the same team from last year, minus Lamberson and a few others. Another thing, you can pretty much attend the public school of your chopice as long as you're willing to provide your own transportation. You simply get a hardship transfer, not difficult to get. People also move to specific areas to go to certain schools to play sports. It's simple.

No scholarships?? I am near positive at least two of the girls are on "scholarship" and were "recuited" from their summer team. And I agree, you can get a transfer to play at other schools....but public schools don't offer the things that GPS can....a tremendous education for starters....at a reduced (or free) cost....again based on athletic ability. Again....not knocking the system....just being honest.