TSSAA Legislative Council Action

CoachT

A lot of parents and players, and some coaches, do not want to play football or any other sport 12 months a year. 9 or 10 months would be plenty. If they do this on their own then they are ridiculed for "not caring" and perhaps dismissed from the team. The principals, who are also BOC and Legislatie Council members, are the ones who hear these concerns and try to find some kind of balance. All of you know that if coaches simply tell players that participation in something is voluntary the underlying meaning is that "if you care about the program and your teammates you will be there".

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can still lift weights in June and have summer football practice begin in July I see nothing wrong with this from a football standpoint. As a football coach who has also served as a head baseball coach, I see nothing wrong with ending fall baseball. There are way too many schools that basically have year round sports. Kids should be able to play three sports if they want to and can handle to pressure. Too many coaches think their sport is the only game in town (I too think that way some time) and this might squash some of that mentality.

My problem is with enforcement. I feel confident there will be coaches who will say: "To Heck with the TSSAA, I'm going to do what I want to do!" Anyone who has coached in this state before knows the kind of men I am talking about. What will be the punishment and will it be just and fair for everyone who violates the rules?

I think most coaches can live with Basketball having June and Football having July!

If you are lumping football into the statement, then I think

this is a distortion of the facts.

Football is a contact sport that requires proper conditioning.

Other sports are more out of control than football. We all

know that baseball has gone crazy with summer and fall

leagues. Basketball goes from season to summer practices

and camps, with organized workouts through the summer.

The summer is an easier time to lump all these dead periods, etc.

If the principals and TSSAA were truly trying to free up the kids,

then why not have a mandated dead period after each sport? Or

mandate that once a season ends, the coach cannot have after

school contact with his/her athletes. No organized or unofficial

teams are leagues in the off-season. Free the kids up to pursue

other sports or sit.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 16 2007 - 06:14 AM) 826413868[/snapback]A lot of parents and players, and some coaches, do not want to play football or any other sport 12 months a year. 9 or 10 months would be plenty. If they do this on their own then they are ridiculed for "not caring" and perhaps dismissed from the team. The principals, who are also BOC and Legislatie Council members, are the ones who hear these concerns and try to find some kind of balance. All of you know that if coaches simply tell players that participation in something is voluntary the underlying meaning is that "if you care about the program and your teammates you will be there".

3 weeks after a season ends is not so bad. We have just finshed 3+ months of football or 4+ months of basketball and the kids get 3 weeks away from those coaches so threy can't start weight or open gyms again, ain't a bad idea. If you read it spring sports don't suffer thru this 3 wek deal, cause they are out of school. Winter sports have June, Fall sports have July.

No spring basketball. Big deal. You have 10 days during the summer, why would you need time during the spriong semester too?

QUOTE(mpm @ Mar 17 2007 - 09:09 AM) 826415201[/snapback]How do they figure giving them time off after the season in school helps with quality family time? it is amazing to me where they come up with the rationale for any of this.

It would depend on what families do with the time together already. If they spend quality time together now then maybe more time togetehr would be more quality time... and vice versa.

QUOTE(12yr.oldchamps @ Mar 15 2007 - 07:48 PM) 826413370[/snapback]That's what I thought. It's basically eliminating fall baseball and softball.

It used to be that all the sports knew exactly when to play and when not to play. They used a little self-control and let the kids have a life after their sport was over to play another or take some time off. That time has long passed, especially in baseball and basketball. For example , a few years ago we were getting ready to play football on a Friday night and we look down at the baseball field and they are playing a fall league baseball game!!! We are a small school with few talented athletes if this was allowed to continue it would hurt all sports not just football and baseball.

Kids should be allowed to play football in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring. When a coach says that you have to play fall baseball for example to be able to play spring baseball this is totally wrong. A lot of kids have their #1 sport they like and the other sports may be something they enjoy doing with their friends. This is great LET THEM PLAY!! A small school usually has a few athletes that have to play all the sports for the school to be successful. When we are "selfish" with our athletes we not only hurt the school but we also hurt the kids that will never get the opportunity just to play the game because they like it.

The coaches who are doing the gripping about this rule brought it on yourself for not practicing a little self-control!!