TSSAA Makes changes

pedo_29

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Mar 16 2007 - 01:07 AM) 826413824[/snapback]/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> If I'm reading this correctly, even summer rec leagues can't have more than 5 of their high school baseball or softball players participating on the same team? There won't even be more than one team in some areas and what about all stars?

I think the intent is to cut out AAU summer basketball and football passing leagues, but the effect on baseball, which is in season during the summer is huge. Is the high school coach supposed to keep track of where his players are playing during the off season? The effect will be as someone pointed out, the elite players will have teams to play on and the marginal players and the younger ones will have to scramble to get on a summer team. What I foresee is an arrangement between 2 or more schools to divide their teams to the limits defined and co op. If the high school coach isn't involved, how will the dead period be enforced for summer baseball? This thing hasn't been thought out very well. A good summer baseball program will play twice as many games as the high school team to begin with. How does the state high school association get by with legislating what happens on teams over which they have no jurisdiction? Will Tennessee kids go to other states for their summer programs? If I were a high school baseball coach, I'd disband the team at the end of the high school season and have tryouts in the fall every year to see who is on the team. Can the TSSAA legislate players that may or may not be on the team the next year? How would they know? I'd rather see no contact with high school coaches during the summer than to limit how many players from the same high school team can participate in summer programs.

Summer baseball and softball won't change. However, any fall baseball or softball team can only have 5 players from their respective high school teams on that fall team.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, please READ the thing before you fly off the handle. The 50% rule is only in effect during the school year, not the summer. It WILL effect fall leagues, but not summer travel teams. AAU, and Travel Volleyball will be effected by the rule, but not baseball/softball. The bigger effect by the changes will be those schools with athletic "periods during the school day. You cannot practice during 4th block or whatever unless it is in-season. There are a lot of schools that call it study hall or whatever that will be in violation.

QUOTE(columbiaguy @ Mar 16 2007 - 09:03 AM) 826413914[/snapback]It is my understanding that this rule will not effect summer baseball and will effect all the fall baseball the Murfreesboro schools have.

The rule does not apply to summer - or at least until the start of school. For most that is the first or second week in August. Untill then kids from the same school can play together. They can even be coached by their HS coach as long as they are call something other than their HS name. The exception for the coach is the dead period which will be extended from 2 to 6 weeks during the year, I just have not seen defined what six weeks yet.

So for our friends in Madison County and elsewhere that put alot of effort into giving their kids a place to play- the TSSAA says "pick 5", now maybe you can find three or four other schools that will split their kids to form fall teams - but honestly how many coaches will go to that effort. So this boards assesments of travel teams taking the lead will be accurate. The unfortunate thing is - access to these teams will be tough for many, and for those kids that could be working on developmental issues during this period, they will not get invited to play and will not get the chance to grow.

TSSAA - you in your great wisdom have put in to action a policy that will cause great harm and will impact opportunity for our kids that want to play baseball -

To all that post here, I suggest you also send your messages direct to Mr. Carter and Mr. Meness of the TSSAA (e-mail can be found at TSSAA.org). Remember being profain is not helpful, simply profound. They need to understand that there are many that do care about our sport and the kids that play it. The need to understand that all of our kids, not just the perceived elite, have the right to play and make themselves better, and they are taking that right away. They need to understand that a prime time for colleges to evaluate our kids is in the fall, now this can only be done in the context of a few that have the chance to play travel ball. For the small school, the rural school, the school that does not have a coach with enough passion to find three other schools to form four fall teams, this rule will hurt the kids and our sport in Tennessee.

The rule does not apply to summer - or at least until the start of school. For most that is the first or second week in August. Untill then kids from the same school can play together. They can even be coached by their HS coach as long as they are call something other than their HS name. The exception for the coach is the dead period which will be extended from 2 to 6 weeks during the year, I just have not seen defined what six weeks yet.

The first two weeks of August are dead now but I am not sure where the other two weeks come from to get 6.

These changes must have come from my farm because they are pure manure. The TSSAA is always trying to "better things" and all they ever do is make things worse. The only thing that occurs from these changes is an athlete having more down time to get in too trouble.

Maybe it's time to reconsider TSSAA? I know that some of the Middle Schools that have more than one school in their district have combined schools are not allowed to combine players and that the Junior Highs (which are very few) are not allowed to let the 6th graders play on their teams unless the schools are connected. Some of them are not palying TSSAA this year. Tullahoma for example combined East and West Middle Schools to select their team and are not playing TSSAA.

Is there other possibilites for the teams to play with the good benefits of TSSAA?

If they keep making changes and not consider everything as a whole it will hurt a lot of players that do not have the luxury of playing with the travel teams. We have lost good players already because they HAVE to work and their families don't have the money to pay the expenses that it cost for the players to participate. Yes, I know that no child is to be left out because of money but, lets be real it happens!

I know that all most of all the smaller areas, their booster club work year around to raise the money for these teams to have the equipment, playing fields, hitting facilities, uniforms etc. the list never ends. The schools have the cost of umpires and buses (if available) from the gates.

All we hear about is keeping the kids busy with extra curricular activities and the rising obesity in the youth today yet we have cut physical education classes and made the cost to do these things almost impossible. What messages are we sending they seem rather mixed to me.

TSSAA put yourself in these players and parents shoes and think alittle bit more what is really best!!!

QUOTE(Legends @ Mar 16 2007 - 09:32 AM) 826414014[/snapback]Maybe it's time to reconsider TSSAA? I know that some of the Middle Schools that have more than one school in their district have combined schools are not allowed to combine players and that the Junior Highs (which are very few) are not allowed to let the 6th graders play on their teams unless the schools are connected. Some of them are not palying TSSAA this year. Tullahoma for example combined East and West Middle Schools to select their team and are not playing TSSAA.

Is there other possibilites for the teams to play with the good benefits of TSSAA?

If they keep making changes and not consider everything as a whole it will hurt a lot of players that do not have the luxury of playing with the travel teams. We have lost good players already because they HAVE to work and their families don't have the money to pay the expenses that it cost for the players to participate. Yes, I know that no child is to be left out because of money but, lets be real it happens!

I know that all most of all the smaller areas, their booster club work year around to raise the money for these teams to have the equipment, playing fields, hitting facilities, uniforms etc. the list never ends. The schools have the cost of umpires and buses (if available) from the gates.

All we hear about is keeping the kids busy with extra curricular activities and the rising obesity in the youth today yet we have cut physical education classes and made the cost to do these things almost impossible. What messages are we sending they seem rather mixed to me.

TSSAA put yourself in these players and parents shoes and think alittle bit more what is really best!!!

I completely agree , these rules are riduculous, what was so wrong with what we were doing, don't worry kids will have more time now to experiment with drugs and sex, heck maybe even some pety crimes

QUOTE(pedo_29 @ Mar 15 2007 - 02:49 PM) 826413098[/snapback]1. Took no action on a resolution to sanction trap and skeet shooting as a

sanctioned sport.

2. Took no action on the following proposal from Jackson Central Merry: A

student who transfers between schools involved in a cooperative program is

eligible to participate in sports shared by the cooperative programs.

3. The following changes were made to the TSSAA Sports Calendar, effective

with the 2007-2008 school year:

a. For fall and winter sports, a limit of 15 days of practice in the

summer.

b. The adding of six weeks of dead period during the school year for all

sports except football, which adds three weeks.

c. Reduction in the number of contests for all sports except football,

soccer and volleyball.

d. Elimination of spring practice in basketball.

e. Elimination of open facilities in spring sports until January 1.

f. Set a limit of preseason scrimmages in all sports (4 scrimmages or 2

scrimmage dates or 1 date and 2 scrimmages).

g. Added a 50% rule that applies to basketball, baseball, and softball

prior to the season beginning and during the school year. Participation

(includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to

the season by students that will play the following season on the high

school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play

the game (i.e., 3 in basketball, 5 in baseball and softball).

h. Added: All athletic practice during the regular hours of any school day

shall confirm to the same rules, regulations, and seasons as corresponding

athletic practice outside the school day.

i. Have added three weeks in the summer in basketball and wrestling when

no open facilities are permitted.

Maybe you should do an article like the TV on "THAT"S MESSED UP"

What's the big deal with the TSSAA? Why is it so special? The Middle School in Mt.Pleasant isn't a member of the TMSAA and they still play ball. They don't compete in any so called "state" competitions but so what. If they win they win, if they loose they loose. Why don't the High Schools start dropping out of the TSSAA? Then they can practice and play when they want to and don't have to worry about restrictions in the off seasons. Seems to me like they(TSSAA) are getting a little to big for their britches. If enough dropped out then they could form a league of their own and forget the money grubbing, power hungry T$$AA. And that's all I have to say about that. For now.

QUOTE(MPTigerT @ Mar 16 2007 - 11:57 AM) 826414149[/snapback]What's the big deal with the TSSAA? Why is it so special? The Middle School in Mt.Pleasant isn't a member of the TMSAA and they still play ball. They don't compete in any so called "state" competitions but so what. If they win they win, if they loose they loose. Why don't the High Schools start dropping out of the TSSAA? Then they can practice and play when they want to and don't have to worry about restrictions in the off seasons. Seems to me like they(TSSAA) are getting a little to big for their britches. If enough dropped out then they could form a league of their own and forget the money grubbing, power hungry T$$AA. And that's all I have to say about that. For now.

That sounds like a great idea to me......these rule changes are ludicrous and benefit no one. The rule change that really bothers me especially when it comes to baseball is the "No open facility until January 1" .....that's a killer. These schools that have these nice hitting facility's might as well put a match to them because you can't use them in the off-season.

hmm a little confusing....does this mean my highschool wont beable to play summber baseball games anymore? and if we cant are we allowed to get on a travel team during the summer because it looked like it said no more then 5 members of a highschool team can be on the same team during the summer.? and are we not aloud to have any practice untill Jan 1?

isnt Virginia like this?