50% rule

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coacht-

How does the 50% rule not affect AAU? If this is the case then I have read the literature on the rule incorrectly. I was under the impression that there was a point in the documentation that stated that no more than three players from a specific high school team may compete on the same AAU team with their teammates. I think this is a big deal, but if I am incorrect please tell me how.

QUOTE(aj1133 @ Mar 19 2007 - 10:09 AM) 826417404[/snapback]Coacht-

How does the 50% rule not affect AAU? If this is the case then I have read the literature on the rule incorrectly. I was under the impression that there was a point in the documentation that stated that no more than three players from a specific high school team may compete on the same AAU team with their teammates. I think this is a big deal, but if I am incorrect please tell me how.

It affects it during the school year. Not during the summer.

I need clarification on the 50% rule. I have been told two different things. Is it just going to effect fall or does it also include spring. Most AAU substates and state tournaments are during the spring. So to say the 50% rule does not effect AAU is not correct if the rule is in effect for the spring also.

QUOTE(twhoops @ Mar 19 2007 - 10:45 AM) 826417448[/snapback]I need clarification on the 50% rule. I have been told two different things. Is it just going to effect fall or does it also include spring. Most AAU substates and state tournaments are during the spring. So to say the 50% rule does not effect AAU is not correct if the rule is in effect for the spring also.

"Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (i.e., 3 in basketball, 5 in baseball and softball)."

It only applies prior to the season. Some people mistakenly read the "during the school year" as a separate entity when the rule actually means both during the school year AND prior to the season. So, it would affect a fall league but not a spring league (AAU) in basketball.

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 19 2007 - 03:00 PM) 826417743[/snapback]"Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (i.e., 3 in basketball, 5 in baseball and softball)."

It only applies prior to the season. Some people mistakenly read the "during the school year" as a separate entity when the rule actually means both during the school year AND prior to the season. So, it would affect a fall league but not a spring league (AAU) in basketball.

So during spring you can have more than 3 players from the same team playing on an AAU team?

QUOTE(coacht @ Mar 19 2007 - 04:00 PM) 826417743[/snapback]"Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (i.e., 3 in basketball, 5 in baseball and softball)."

I think more clarification, mainly by TSSAA needs to be put out there. Our coaches were told by a member of the TSSAA that the rule meant you could not have more than 3 players from your school playing aau ball on the same team in the spring time while they were in school. Once school was out for the summer then there were no restrictions. The key line is "by students that will play the following season" This, as told by a TSSAA member, means that if more than 3 play on a spring team then they are in violation if those same players are on the high school team the following season. I don't know how they are going to enforce the rule anyway. Another question, if 4 play on an aau team together...who decides which player in ineligible?

QUOTE(philmeyer @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:04 AM) 826419287[/snapback]I think more clarification, mainly by TSSAA needs to be put out there. Our coaches were told by a member of the TSSAA that the rule meant you could not have more than 3 players from your school playing aau ball on the same team in the spring time while they were in school. Once school was out for the summer then there were no restrictions. The key line is "by students that will play the following season" This, as told by a TSSAA member, means that if more than 3 play on a spring team then they are in violation if those same players are on the high school team the following season. I don't know how they are going to enforce the rule anyway. Another question, if 4 play on an aau team together...who decides which player in ineligible?

This was My understanding also from the TSSAA.

Its going to be interesting to uphold a rule that no one understands clearly. Think the TSSAA better clarify!