Magnet Schools and basketball

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Apr 21 2007 - 04:53 PM) 826442479[/snapback]Public schools will need more than (2) divisions.

I'm sorry let me revise that....

DI has two classifications and is rich urban public schools

DII has two classifications and is poor unrban public schools

DIII has two classifications and is poor rural public schools

DIV has two classifications and is rich rural public schools

DV has two classifications for private schools non aid giving

DVI has two classifications for private schools aid giving

DVII has only one classification for Magnets

DVIII has only one classifications for Open Zone schools

and then we need a DIX for Just Mount Pleasant......

So as i see it (thank you for helping to clear it up Mount Pleasant) the TSSAA is really not leveling the playing field unless they hand out 15 gold balls each and every year. There would be alot of pride taken in getting one of those... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Apr 21 2007 - 06:12 PM) 826442517[/snapback]I'm sorry let me revise that....

So as i see it (thank you for helping to clear it up Mount Pleasant) the TSSAA is really not leveling the playing field unless they hand out 15 gold balls each and every year. There would be alot of pride taken in getting one of those... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think that pretty much sums it up. However, some magnet schools are 100% magnet and some are zoned/magnet. There could be some inequality there.

FCS...what a great post. I think you just showed the absurdivness of this whole discussion.

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Apr 21 2007 - 06:12 PM) 826442517[/snapback]I'm sorry let me revise that....

great post. As long as each classifications has to follow the same rules.

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Apr 21 2007 - 05:12 PM) 826442517[/snapback]I'm sorry let me revise that....

Can everyone get a "participation" medal, too? Even if they don't win? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 22 2007 - 04:47 PM) 826442913[/snapback]Can everyone get a "participation" medal, too? Even if they don't win? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Any team that fails to win a state championship in at least one sport for 5 years in a row will be put in their own division for the following year...

Let me ask this question. Why is it so important that you people play public schools. Everybody knows your schools follow different guidelines than most publics. When most publics are wanting a split, why do you all fight it? Instead of attacking public supporters like me give a real explanation why it is so important that public and privates and magnets all play in the same league.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Apr 22 2007 - 08:57 PM) 826443057[/snapback]Let me ask this question. Why is it so important that you people play public schools. Everybody knows your schools follow different guidelines than most publics. When most publics are wanting a split, why do you all fight it? Instead of attacking public supporters like me give a real explanation why it is so important that public and privates and magnets all play in the same league.

This little purple segment is all in your post that i don't really like or agree with...

My oppinion on the matter is about 10% that i don't see why a split should forcibly occure. I agree with you that the trend is unusual and i will promise you that if 3 out of the next 4 1A state champions are all different privates then i will be a believer in what you say but for now just don't see it as any more than what the multiplier was trying to fix. PS, it has.

The other 90% is simply a matter of pride. I alluded to this in my joking post about what the TSSAA should change everything to. Let me put it this way. If Friendship Christian wins the State championship next year there is alot of pride in knowing they they are the state champions on Tennessee in single A football which consists of (a little help guys) 59 teams. So essentially you would be lifting a Gold Ball that says to the world "we are the best out of 59 teams"

The whole point i am trying to give away from this is that the more Gold Balls that are handed out in a given sport, the less each one means. It all boils down to how much pride is a team really going to have when the trophy says "Mount Pleasant: State Champions Division I, Classification A, Public Group, Rural Sector"

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Apr 22 2007 - 07:57 PM) 826443057[/snapback]Let me ask this question. Why is it so important that you people play public schools. Everybody knows your schools follow different guidelines than most publics. When most publics are wanting a split, why do you all fight it? Instead of attacking public supporters like me give a real explanation why it is so important that public and privates and magnets all play in the same league.

Who are the "you people" in question? Be careful with that phraseology. It has gotten a few folks in pretty big trouble!

Seriously, in answer to your question, my first response is that they (all the kids that play for each of the types of schools you named) are all kids! If magnet schools were allowed to play with 22 year olds and other public schools had to abide by current guidelines with regard to age, that would be an uneven playing field/unfair advantage.

My second answer is that all of the above named types of schools use the same PLAYING rules. If public schools got to count touchdowns as 8 points and private schools could only count TD's as 6 points, that would be an uneven playing field/unfair advantage.

I contend that EVERY school (public, private, magnet or other) has SOME advantage over every other school. There will never be a "level playing field" IF so-called "advantages" are taken into account.

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Apr 23 2007 - 06:43 AM) 826443183[/snapback]Tell me what giudelines are different MPHS.

The biggest and largest is the fact they have no boundaries. Even schools with open zones have to stay in their county. All of your small private schools that are winning state championships are in large cities. Jackson and Nashville. There is no set area. MP has a small portion of a county to draw its kids from. I know thats not a TSSAA rule but the fact that a private can draw kids from anywhere is a different set of rules. I dont know if this is true, but I heard a few key players from JCS was not even from Jackson. If this is the truth there is nothing wrong with it, but it isnt the same rules that a MP or other rural school has to go by.