Magnet Schools and basketball

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 26 2007 - 09:08 AM) 826422833[/snapback]I went back a page on this topic and dont see your question on which puddle has more water. If you could repeat the question I'm sure I can give you an answer you dont want to hear.

That's because I asked it on another thread where you were talking about the 'zone vs open zone' issue and how it assured that privates were dominate. You just didn't answer it there so I thought I would bring it to all the threads where you were talking about the subject.

Two puddles. One is 2 feet wide by 1 foot long by 50 feet deep. The other is 10 feet long by 10 feet wide by 1 foot deep. Which has the most water?

The answer shows why the idea that privates gain some advantage because they get kids from a wide area just doesn't hold water (sorry about that...just couldn't resist the pun) unless you add the assumption that the privates are intentionally selecting athletes over non-athletes for admissions (call it selective admissions or recruiting...same thing here). If they are simply drawing a random sample of kids from a large zone then the size of the zone has nothing to do with how many good athletes they get.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Mar 26 2007 - 02:14 PM) 826423111[/snapback]That's because I asked it on another thread where you were talking about the 'zone vs open zone' issue and how it assured that privates were dominate. You just didn't answer it there so I thought I would bring it to all the threads where you were talking about the subject.

Two puddles. One is 2 feet wide by 1 foot long by 50 feet deep. The other is 10 feet long by 10 feet wide by 1 foot deep. Which has the most water?

The answer shows why the idea that privates gain some advantage because they get kids from a wide area just doesn't hold water (sorry about that...just couldn't resist the pun) unless you add the assumption that the privates are intentionally selecting athletes over non-athletes for admissions (call it selective admissions or recruiting...same thing here). If they are simply drawing a random sample of kids from a large zone then the size of the zone has nothing to do with how many good athletes they get.

I see your point but whats in the puddle to gain is the question.

Ok here is one for ya. You have 9 ponds with 1000 fish in each one. Then you have 1 pond with 1000 fish in it. Fisherman number (1) gets to fish in all 9 ponds from any fishing hole he wants. Fisherman (2) gets to fish out of only one pond and has to stay in one fishing hole. Who do you think over time will catch the most fish?

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 26 2007 - 05:07 PM) 826423207[/snapback]I see your point but whats in the puddle to gain is the question.

Ok here is one for ya. You have 9 ponds with 1000 fish in each one. Then you have 1 pond with 1000 fish in it. Fisherman number (1) gets to fish in all 9 ponds from any fishing hole he wants. Fisherman (2) gets to fish out of only one pond and has to stay in one fishing hole. Who do you think over time will catch the most fish?

That is actually a pretty good question, MPHSTIGERS87. Let me take the bait! A wise old fisherman once told me that "the fish bite every day, so I try to go early and stay late!" The answer to your question is whichever fisherman is the best equipped, the most skilled, the most prepared and the most persistent. A little luck also goes a long way. BTW, the biggest catch could possibly come from any one of the ponds, even the smallest pond.

Now in your analogy, who is the fisherman?

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 26 2007 - 04:07 PM) 826423207[/snapback]I see your point but whats in the puddle to gain is the question.

Let me just add a little bit to your story so that it better reflects how the sittuation is.

You still have 9 ponds withy 1000 fish in each. And 1 pond with 1000 fish in it.

Assume we are net fishing and putting the fish into a tank. (much like students you agree)

Now, fisherman number 1 can only fish at the 1 pond. But, all the fish that are in this particular pond have to be captured by this fisherman because it is the law. Any fish not wishing to be caught will have to move to another pond. But for the fish that are caught, the fishermen is given fish food to feed them with in his fish tank so that they do not get hungry.

Now fisherman number 9 can fish at all 9 ponds. But, the fish do not have to come to his net if they do not want to. And if they do choose to go to his net and into his private tank, then they will have to give up a portion of their hard earned food in order to keep the private tank running smoothly with clean water and such.

They are very different but as you can see they both have pro's and cons......Anything you could possibly say (using this analogy) would pretty much have to be something along the lines of "the private fisher can select which fish he wants to keep and throw back, and he can give extra food to the good strong fish". Which would insinuate that all private fishers must recruit.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 26 2007 - 05:07 PM) 826423207[/snapback]I see your point but whats in the puddle to gain is the question.

I'll take a stab.

Fisherman #2 has a pond with 1,000 fish. Fisherman #2 knows that he doesn't have to try ... 99% of the 1,000 fish will be jumping into his boat. He doesn't even have to cast his line.

Fisherman #1 has 9 ponds with 1,000 fish each. The fish all know that they don't have to be "caught" by this fisherman. In fact, only certain fish can even qualify to be caught by this fisherman (ability to pay tuition and or entrance exam requirements). On top of that, many choose to stay status quo and just go with Fisherman #2 cause that is free and easy. So in fact, the 9 "pools" are in fact NOT as deep as one would think.

Hmmm ... that muddies the water a little bit doesn't it. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

What does all this fishing, ponds, rod and reels, and crap have to do with magnet schools?

The title of this thread is "Magnet schools and basketball"......I can"t speak for the other schools you have mentioned in this misguided tirade.....but I can speak for one. In the four years of Liberty's exisitence, which magnet student had an impact on the basketball team....as far as winning the state championship?

I saw in another thread....concerning Liberty basketball..."Four years....two state championships"......I know that's incredible odds.

Has the other schools magnet status helped their basketball program? And in what way? Did they use their magnet status to gain players that wouldn't normally be there?......Just wondering.

I know how it's set up here......if I had a kid that had some talent and I wanted him/her to attend Liberty.....I would move into the zone....it would be easier to get in that way. You'd have to sit out a year and play jv.....but, you'd be in without the benefit of the magnet status.

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ Mar 26 2007 - 09:42 PM) 826423544[/snapback]What does all this fishing, ponds, rod and reels, and crap have to do with magnet schools?

The title of this thread is "Magnet schools and basketball"......I can"t speak for the other schools you have mentioned in this misguided tirade.....but I can speak for one. In the four years of Liberty's exisitence, which magnet student had an impact on the basketball team....as far as winning the state championship?

I saw in another thread....concerning Liberty basketball..."Four years....two state championships"......I know that's incredible odds.

Has the other schools magnet status helped their basketball program? And in what way? Did they use their magnet status to gain players that wouldn't normally be there?......Just wondering.

I know how it's set up here......if I had a kid that had some talent and I wanted him/her to attend Liberty.....I would move into the zone....it would be easier to get in that way. You'd have to sit out a year and play jv.....but, you'd be in without the benefit of the magnet status.

If you wanted him to go there you would move before he started high school.

The discussion is mainly about magnet schools and their advantages. Does Liberty`s baseball team benefit from their being a magnet school?

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Mar 26 2007 - 10:56 PM) 826423554[/snapback]If you wanted him to go there you would move before he started high school.

The discussion is mainly about magnet schools and their advantages. Does Liberty`s baseball team benefit from their being a magnet school?

I don't think it's mattered so far.....how many district games have we won? How many state titles have we won? How many players were and are magnet students? Answer....several. More than the basketball team has had.....now you tell me.

You wouldn't neccesarily move before high school.....that would be ideal though. I know alot of people that move just because they think it's a better school and it's new and nicer. But I don't know any that's moved for the sports aspect. If I had a kid that could play basketball I would get him as close to Dexter Williams as I could.....my son can't play basketball because it interferes with baseball. You just about have to be a one sport student at Liberty.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 26 2007 - 04:07 PM) 826423207[/snapback]I see your point but whats in the puddle to gain is the question.

Actually MPHS this is a bad analogy and shows why you don`t understand what you are talking about. You are ASSUMING that fisherman 1 gets to keep any fish he catches. While Fisherman 2 gets to keep all the fish he catches in his pond, The majority of the fish in all of fisherman 1`s ponds are not eligible for keeping. So yeah...fisherman 1 may have more ponds to fish out of, but most of the fish in his ponds are out of season.

If you don`t understand that then let me know. I`ll explain it to you in different terms (again)

MPHS......... say what you mean and mean what you say....and leave the fish out of it. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> They can't get in the magnet schools either.....wait....they can too.....they do raise and sell coy fish at Liberty, yet another advantage of magnet schools. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ Mar 26 2007 - 10:10 PM) 826423567[/snapback]I don't think it's mattered so far.....how many district games have we won? How many state titles have we won? How many players were and are magnet students? Answer....several. More than the basketball team has had.....now you tell me.

I would disagree with you. Winning state titles doesn`t really have anything to do with being benefited. Just look at how many magnet kids start for Liberty. Take those players away and Liberty may have a really bad year. From all the boxscores I`ve seen this year I`ve seen those magnet kids names pop up quite a bit. I`m sure you`ve seen this months OnTheBall mag. How many of the four featured players are magnet kids? I know where Alex lives. I know where Chance lives. I know Xan went to Tigrett and pretty sure he is magnet. Ethan always played in the South in Dixie, so I`m pretty confident he is a magnet student. That`s 4 starters right? Brian F. is a magnet student as well. That`s over half your starting line up. Is there more? It`s okay to be honest. None of those kids are there illegally. We are discussing magnet schools so it`d be nice to have some first hand info.

If I`m wrong about any of those kids then let me know. But I`m pretty sure about them.

While I`m at it. Four of those kids live in JCM`s zone. Do you think they would have helped JCM win more than 6 games last year?