Turf or Grass

KEV-O

Comments for the "Old Style" Turf ( I have never been on the new stuff )

The turf of old gives the home team an advantage. Visitors usually needed different shoes and the speed difference messed up timing routes, etc.

I personally hate turf....too many sprains and knee problems. Play the game like men...( Rain, Grass, Mud, Snow, etc. )

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More and more high schools across the country are switching from grass to field turf. It cost more to install but is a lot cheaper to maintain and it doesnt get affected by weather elements like rain or snow. You can wear cleats just like on a grass field too so buying more shoes for the team is unnecessary and the paint washes off easy so changing the lines for different sports s not hard at all.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(BeaverPride9 @ Apr 11 2007 - 11:15 PM) 826435502[/snapback]speaking of grass...how many times do you think maryville mows their field? also i heard around the rumor mill that part of the jamboree was being held at knox central this year due to construction at neyland, so wouldn't that tear up their field? just wondering?

Go Beavers!

Morristown is scheduled to begin install of artificial turf at Burke-Toney starting May 1st.

QUOTE(Ole Dad @ Mar 30 2007 - 07:48 PM) 826426772[/snapback]LOD,

You are correct. Oak Ridge gets no funds from the school board for any maintenance or upgrades to a 50 year old facility. If it were not for a great group of booster club and quarterback club members the place would really be a dump. The school board displays an attitude of "we could care less if we even have a football team." They can spend $6,000,000 on a new gym (The Chuck Dome) which was sorely needed as well, but won't spend $600,000 (1/10th just as example) for football facilities. 6,000 or more show up at Blankenship every time they play but the school board ignores that. It appears they would be happy if football became an intramural sport at OR. Other schools get great new facilities and upgrades and OR gets nothing from this group. It is a shame that the tradition of OR football is meaningless to the people with the purse strings, therefore the field is a "mud hole" late in the season. Turf grass and some new upgrades would be great. Dont hold your breath. Even ex coaches that are on the school board won't facilitate improvements.

Ole Dad

I had no idea that the football team did not get any support from the Board. That is sad to hear. Besides the atomic bomb, know one would ever hear about OR if it was not for their academics and football team.

• 3 months later...

So did anyone get turf?

New Stands?

Better drainage?

Any improvements to their stadiums or fields?

What with all the cutbacks I'd be a little surprised, but hey maybe the DII's got something.

Both Morristown teams will be playing on a new surface this season. The old natural turf was just way to gone to maintain. Both schools share the field and stadium with all four middle schools in town. A typical week for Burke-Toney field was 2 middle school games, a freshman game and then a varsity game and sometimes two if on of the varsity teams palyed on Thursday. Morristown West had home fieldadvatage through the playoffs last year and moved thier home games to Carson-Newman because the abuse the field had taken during the regular season. That included the East-West quartfinals game. A game that by all rights should have been played in the friendly confines of Burke-Toney. The field was really dangerous to play on with all the ruts and NO grass.

The new turf is very good stuff. A close friend of mine who was a trainer at the Citadel and now is head trainer at Oregon Tech says the new turfs only problem is the pellets used get into the eyes, but nothing a bottle of saline solution can't handle.

The new turf at Burke-Toney is really nice. I still prefer grass and mud.

Turf does look really nice. Got a chance to look at it and walk on it this evening. Very similar to what Carson-Newman / UT indoor practice field has. Additional stadium upgrades include new sound system with speakers at the hedges, aimed at stands and new play clocks.

Nice job!

Turf does look really nice. Got a chance to look at it and walk on it this evening. Very similar to what Carson-Newman / UT indoor practice field has. Additional stadium upgrades include new sound system with speakers at the hedges, aimed at stands and new play clocks.

Nice job!

SOMEONE SEND THIS SOLDIER A PICTURE!

PLEASE!

Can't wait to see it for myself.