Turf or Grass

KEV-O

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Footballfan15 @ Mar 27 2007 - 08:30 AM) 826423738[/snapback]Grass is better. Five knee surgeries and numerous ankle problems stem from 11 years of football played on turf.

I will go with grass on this one there is just somthing about playing football on grass and mud. Rain games are fun

QUOTE(THECRIPDEVIL @ Mar 26 2007 - 08:41 PM) 826423389[/snapback]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...m=1&iwloc=D this is the filed if you look closely you can see a light line near the track those are the soccer lines

I couldn't see the markings for the 10-yard circle in the middle of the field, 6-yard goal box from the end line, 18-yard goal area from the end line, and two-yard penalty kick semicircle line. These are the lines that messes up football fields. Do they put down temporally paint for soccer matches? I don't see the outside boundaries being a problem at all, just the one going through the logo's and toward the endzones.

LOD,

You are correct. Oak Ridge gets no funds from the school board for any maintenance or upgrades to a 50 year old facility. If it were not for a great group of booster club and quarterback club members the place would really be a dump. The school board displays an attitude of "we could care less if we even have a football team." They can spend $6,000,000 on a new gym (The Chuck Dome) which was sorely needed as well, but won't spend $600,000 (1/10th just as example) for football facilities. 6,000 or more show up at Blankenship every time they play but the school board ignores that. It appears they would be happy if football became an intramural sport at OR. Other schools get great new facilities and upgrades and OR gets nothing from this group. It is a shame that the tradition of OR football is meaningless to the people with the purse strings, therefore the field is a "mud hole" late in the season. Turf grass and some new upgrades would be great. Dont hold your breath. Even ex coaches that are on the school board won't facilitate improvements.

Ole Dad

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Mar 25 2007 - 05:02 PM) 826422335[/snapback]'If' schools would actually spend the time and maintence on a grass field it is great. Unfortunately most do not have the luxory of having seperate practice fields and seperate fields for soccor. A prime example of how a field can get torn up was the mud hole Oak Ridge had to play on late in the season. On TV you had a VERY hard time even to tell there was EVER grass there.

I absolutely hated MTSU's old field. It hurt even to just walk on it. The new field is VERY similar to playing on good Bermuda.

QUOTE(Ole Dad @ Mar 30 2007 - 05:48 PM) 826426772[/snapback]LOD,

You are correct. Oak Ridge gets no funds from the school board for any maintenance or upgrades to a 50 year old facility. If it were not for a great group of booster club and quarterback club members the place would really be a dump. The school board displays an attitude of "we could care less if we even have a football team." They can spend $6,000,000 on a new gym (The Chuck Dome) which was sorely needed as well, but won't spend $600,000 (1/10th just as example) for football facilities. 6,000 or more show up at Blankenship every time they play but the school board ignores that. It appears they would be happy if football became an intramural sport at OR. Other schools get great new facilities and upgrades and OR gets nothing from this group. It is a shame that the tradition of OR football is meaningless to the people with the purse strings, therefore the field is a "mud hole" late in the season. Turf grass and some new upgrades would be great. Dont hold your breath. Even ex coaches that are on the school board won't facilitate improvements.

Ole Dad

I was actually talking about the field OR played its televised game on. It was an away game for Oak Ridge. While I agree that Oak Ridge's field needs some work, it was miles ahead of the field they showed on TV. I 'think' there had been a soccor game played on it just a week before with even less maintence than is usual.

There has to be a way that y'all can get some funds for the field. Anyway to take part of the gate each game just for 'field maintence'?

LOD,

You were talking about Farragut Field. Sorry, I misunderstood, but, you are correct, there should be some way to raise the money to upgrade and repair the facilities at OR.

Ole Dad

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Mar 30 2007 - 08:11 PM) 826426854[/snapback]I was actually talking about the field OR played its televised game on. It was an away game for Oak Ridge. While I agree that Oak Ridge's field needs some work, it was miles ahead of the field they showed on TV. I 'think' there had been a soccor game played on it just a week before with even less maintence than is usual.

There has to be a way that y'all can get some funds for the field. Anyway to take part of the gate each game just for 'field maintence'?