McMinn County Football

Oskie1

what does coach smith teach in the class room ? I also heard coach Goodin had a good interview. Coach Goodin is young with alot of drive. His age will probably keep him from getting the job but you never know. The offensive line has really improved under his guidence the last two years.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith was the head coach at Jackson County for a couple of years before he ended up at Soddy Daisy. Jackson County is not the best place to get your first head coaching deal. Not many of the upper cumberland area schools are successful, especially the small ones. He has been successful though as a coordinator, and we all know assistants don't get as much credit as they deserve. He was very instrumental in the success Soddy Daisy has had over the past eight years. Even though Soddy Daisy struggled this past season, they have been very successful in Smith's tenure as the Defensive Coordinator. He has a great understanding of the Region opponents. I had the pleasure of coaching with him for four years as the Offensive Coordinator, and he is the best high school DC I have worked with. He made me a much better OC, in which made us a better team. Just because someone did not have alot of success ten years ago as a head coach, does not mean he cannot handle the job now. He will be the first to tell you he has a better understanding of how to run a program. The difference in Jackson County and McMinn County is the support of the community. McMinn County wants a successful football program, Jackson County just wanted a successful girls basketball program. He is certified in Business and does a fantastic job in the classroom.

I hear that Zeller the former head coach @ Greenville had a good inerview and is being considered. Gooden and Cagle while they are good young coaches are not in the running. Gooden was given an interview because he is on the current staff. Cagle was given an interview because his grandfarther J.B. "Ace" Adams was a legend here in McMinn County as a former coach and athlete and his mother is on the current McMinn Co. school board.

The decision comes down to Bennett, Smith or Zeller.....So which one does Grubb and Haney pick? I say Bennett and I will tell you why.....

He has strong family ties with his wife being an elementary school teacher in the county system and her uncle being a principal @ that same school.....her family is very well respected and liked in the community and Bennett would be the coach @ McMinn for as long as he wanted to be.

Yes, Smith and Zeller have a good resume but long time relationships are hard to beat and Grubb is a native McMinn boy and has known Bennett and his extended family for a long time. That is why I say McMinn hires Bennett because there is such a long relationship there and the administration knows exactly what they are getting.

But who knows I have been mistaken before.....

That is the very reason I think they should go outside to get a coach. I think the community might be too much of an influence in some situations. Sometimes that can be a problem in a program. The coaches need to be able to come in without any preconceived ideals as far as players, assistant coaches, community support, administration support, etc. Sometimes coaches feel pressured to play kids or do things because of the good ol' boy system. I know Brad Bennett is a great coach and would do a fantastic job, and if Smith does not get it, I hope he does, but how much will the friends of the program influence him on some decisions as opposed to someone with no ties to anybody in McMinn County. Why did he leave and go to Bradley County to begin with? To coach with John Allen? Money? Not sure. I do know that McMinn pasted up on Scotty Smith before and that move did not get them anywhere. Your lucky Scotty Smith is still available and has shown interest, not many coaches who get passed over would apply a few years later for the same job. If your worried about longevity, look at how long Smith has been at Soddy Daisy. He has had opportunity to move on, but has stayed loyal to SD because of the realationships he has made there with his players, as well as coaching staff and faculty staff. Scotty Smith would do McMinn County proud. Maybe they need to get Mullinax in on the search committee. Smith's defenses gave Mullinax's wing-t offense fits, although we did steal alot from Mullinax when we ran the wing-t and I was the OC.

QUOTE(Oskie1 @ Apr 18 2007 - 04:23 PM) 826440474[/snapback]I hear that Zeller the former head coach @ Greenville had a good inerview and is being considered. Gooden and Cagle while they are good young coaches are not in the running. Gooden was given an interview because he is on the current staff. Cagle was given an interview because his grandfarther J.B. "Ace" Adams was a legend here in McMinn County as a former coach and athlete and his mother is on the current McMinn Co. school board.

The decision comes down to Bennett, Smith or Zeller.....So which one does Grubb and Haney pick? I say Bennett and I will tell you why.....

He has strong family ties with his wife being an elementary school teacher in the county system and her uncle being a principal @ that same school.....her family is very well respected and liked in the community and Bennett would be the coach @ McMinn for as long as he wanted to be.

Yes, Smith and Zeller have a good resume but long time relationships are hard to beat and Grubb is a native McMinn boy and has known Bennett and his extended family for a long time. That is why I say McMinn hires Bennett because there is such a long relationship there and the administration knows exactly what they are getting.

Bo Cagle's grandfather is a legend at McMinn County HS. He was the AD there for yrs. His mom now is on the county school board. He was a star athlete there when he was in high school. I think he would be a safe bet to be the new coach. Remember this is a small town where family connections go a looooooooong way.

QUOTE(Oskie1 @ Apr 18 2007 - 02:23 PM) 826440474[/snapback]I hear that Zeller the former head coach @ Greenville had a good inerview and is being considered. Gooden and Cagle while they are good young coaches are not in the running. Gooden was given an interview because he is on the current staff. Cagle was given an interview because his grandfarther J.B. "Ace" Adams was a legend here in McMinn County as a former coach and athlete and his mother is on the current McMinn Co. school board.

I dont see how Bennett could possibly get the job because Grubb will pick teacher first coach second. Thats how daughtery received the position last time. PE positions are filled. What does Smith and Zellar teach?

(

QUOTE(Oskie1 @ Apr 19 2007 - 02:29 PM) 826441223[/snapback]Press conference to announce new head coach will be Monday....

Brad Bennett should be the next Mcminn Head coach, this is a no brainer for Haney and Grubb. He is a great christian man, who

who will instill disicipline into the program, alot of these kids already know him and respect him. But, the most important thing is he will be a great example for the players and not to mention a great coach. When he was at Mcminn they had the strongest defenses that have had in a long time. Coaching is more than x's and o's, its about making young boys into men and there is no doubt about it that

Brad Bennett will do that. If Mcminn does not hire him they will regret it someday. If they do hire him, they will name the field after him in about 20 years.

P.S. Cagle has no coordinator experience

Smith record vs Bennett (2-2) Bradley beat Soddy last year

Mcminn beat Soddy when Bennett was coordinator '04

Does anyone have any idea on who it is gonna be, or if they have some kind of deadline that they want to meet. Are they going to try to have spring practice or are the adminstrators waiting til summer? It seems like they would try to get someone in place as soon as possible. Already in a tough region so whoever it is, they need time to get in there and get to know the players and the rest of the coaching staff. I would guess that whoever comes in is stuck with the current coaching staff.