observation

chattanooga

being fairly new to high school soccer it seems that when the games are officiated with only two side judges the games are bloodbaths. we have had 1 game with three officals and it was a well maintained game, the other 3 or 4 have been a bunch of one upmanship on how hard one can foul someone else. do most of the games elsewhere have 2 or 3 officials?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the two-man system yields itself to a more physical game. The problem is that the reffs have a hard time watching the whole field. I have noticed there have been a lot less cards, at least in games we have played in. this could also be why there are more physical games. Reffs do not want to get too involved in the matches, which is sometimes the case in a two-man system.

QUOTE(soccerplayr @ Mar 29 2007 - 08:57 PM) 826426224[/snapback]I agree that the two-man system yields itself to a more physical game. The problem is that the reffs have a hard time watching the whole field. I have noticed there have been a lot less cards, at least in games we have played in. this could also be why there are more physical games. Reffs do not want to get too involved in the matches, which is sometimes the case in a two-man system.

having a 3 man system is worlds better then having a 2 man. the line judges can help out with calls as well as make better judgement on offsides

i think 2 man system is really not a good way to go..

My opinion on the 2 man system...it is NOT soccer at all. I agree it is dangerous for the players out there because there is no control from the refs unless they are top of the line officials. The only schools that get 3 men are the big soccer schools like Brentwood, Bearden, Farragut, Baylor, etc. Nobody including TSSAA cares for the small schools like Cleveland, Cumberland, Cookeville, Riverdale, Shelbyville, Wilson Central, White House, White Station, Covington, etc. Until TSSAA takes it seriously that they need to improve their refs and hold them responsible for their actions, it will always be a poor showing by them. Why do they need to improve when they can just "wing it"?

QUOTE(ChadC @ Mar 30 2007 - 12:36 AM) 826426358[/snapback]My opinion on the 2 man system...it is NOT soccer at all. I agree it is dangerous for the players out there because there is no control from the refs unless they are top of the line officials. The only schools that get 3 men are the big soccer schools like Brentwood, Bearden, Farragut, Baylor, etc. Nobody including TSSAA cares for the small schools like Cleveland, Cumberland, Cookeville, Riverdale, Shelbyville, Wilson Central, White House, White Station, Covington, etc. Until TSSAA takes it seriously that they need to improve their refs and hold them responsible for their actions, it will always be a poor showing by them. Why do they need to improve when they can just "wing it"?

completely agreed. i do wish that we would all adopt the 3 man system for every game no matter what but i was talking to pat bristol(head ref for WCSA) and he said the reason they do the 2 man is to save money. i can see how that helps but it makes the game be played unfairly which in turn is not worth the money

QUOTE(StateChamps07 @ Mar 30 2007 - 07:53 AM) 826426380[/snapback]completely agreed. i do wish that we would all adopt the 3 man system for every game no matter what but i was talking to pat bristol(head ref for WCSA) and he said the reason they do the 2 man is to save money. i can see how that helps but it makes the game be played unfairly which in turn is not worth the money

I know that budgets are tight, but I think there is only a $30 difference between a 3 man and a 2 man...

QUOTE(ChadC @ Mar 29 2007 - 11:36 PM) 826426358[/snapback]My opinion on the 2 man system...it is NOT soccer at all. I agree it is dangerous for the players out there because there is no control from the refs unless they are top of the line officials. The only schools that get 3 men are the big soccer schools like Brentwood, Bearden, Farragut, Baylor, etc. Nobody including TSSAA cares for the small schools like Cleveland, Cumberland, Cookeville, Riverdale, Shelbyville, Wilson Central, White House, White Station, Covington, etc. Until TSSAA takes it seriously that they need to improve their refs and hold them responsible for their actions, it will always be a poor showing by them. Why do they need to improve when they can just "wing it"?

Depending on what steps you implemented to hold the referees responsible you would probably only succeed in reducing the pool of referees. The number of referees is already critically low, spread over way too many teams. If you require all games to use three refs you would be forced to play on Saturdays and Sundays. In the Southeast region, for instance, the referee association covers teams from North Georgia (including Dalton) up to Tellico and Sweetwater. This is a corridor that is over 100 miles and covers about 23 - 30 High school teams and half a dozen small colleges. On a Tuesday or Thursday night you can't buy another referee (who are mostly running duals) - not because of money but due to lack of refs. The association holds clinics, weekly meetings, etc. and still has its share of inadequate refs. If you eliminate the older ref who can no longer maintain the pace and the inexperienced ref who just hasn't done enough games to effectively control a bunch of over stimulated teenagers, you have so few refs left that most teams couldn't schedule any games due to the shortage of "qualified" officials. I reffed almost 20 years and retired when I felt I could no longer maintain the level I thought the game demanded because I held myself to a higher standard. The sad thing is, I can still outrun a good number of the refs in our area and do a better job. Final answer? There surely isn't an easy solution to this problem.

QUOTE(Law-Five @ Mar 30 2007 - 11:18 AM) 826426528[/snapback]Depending on what steps you implemented to hold the referees responsible you would probably only succeed in reducing the pool of referees. The number of referees is already critically low, spread over way too many teams. If you require all games to use three refs you would be forced to play on Saturdays and Sundays. In the Southeast region, for instance, the referee association covers teams from North Georgia (including Dalton) up to Tellico and Sweetwater. This is a corridor that is over 100 miles and covers about 23 - 30 High school teams and half a dozen small colleges. On a Tuesday or Thursday night you can't buy another referee (who are mostly running duals) - not because of money but due to lack of refs. The association holds clinics, weekly meetings, etc. and still has its share of inadequate refs. If you eliminate the older ref who can no longer maintain the pace and the inexperienced ref who just hasn't done enough games to effectively control a bunch of over stimulated teenagers, you have so few refs left that most teams couldn't schedule any games due to the shortage of "qualified" officials. I reffed almost 20 years and retired when I felt I could no longer maintain the level I thought the game demanded because I held myself to a higher standard. The sad thing is, I can still outrun a good number of the refs in our area and do a better job. Final answer? There surely isn't an easy solution to this problem.

appreciate the input..all i am saying is that it would be nice to have a 3 man for every game if that was possible b/c it makes for a better called game(personal opinion)

QUOTE(Law-Five @ Mar 30 2007 - 11:18 AM) 826426528[/snapback]Depending on what steps you implemented to hold the referees responsible you would probably only succeed in reducing the pool of referees. The number of referees is already critically low, spread over way too many teams. If you require all games to use three refs you would be forced to play on Saturdays and Sundays. In the Southeast region, for instance, the referee association covers teams from North Georgia (including Dalton) up to Tellico and Sweetwater. This is a corridor that is over 100 miles and covers about 23 - 30 High school teams and half a dozen small colleges. On a Tuesday or Thursday night you can't buy another referee (who are mostly running duals) - not because of money but due to lack of refs. The association holds clinics, weekly meetings, etc. and still has its share of inadequate refs. If you eliminate the older ref who can no longer maintain the pace and the inexperienced ref who just hasn't done enough games to effectively control a bunch of over stimulated teenagers, you have so few refs left that most teams couldn't schedule any games due to the shortage of "qualified" officials. I reffed almost 20 years and retired when I felt I could no longer maintain the level I thought the game demanded because I held myself to a higher standard. The sad thing is, I can still outrun a good number of the refs in our area and do a better job. Final answer? There surely isn't an easy solution to this problem.

So do the players and soccer need to pay for the lack of officials? I am sure they can recruit new refs if they try, we have several colleges in TN that have soccer teams. TSSAA could get involved and recruit those soccer players for their off season (boys season) with lucrative (spelling?) offers to get them involved instead of trying to get rich off HS sports. Just my opinion but it is TSSAA that needs to step up on this issue and market the game of soccer like the other sports like football.