WARTBURG HIGH SCHOOL

Deerhunter44

QUOTE(EastTnCoachTeach @ Apr 3 2007 - 12:37 PM) 826428929[/snapback]I've heard a lot of rumors that they are trying to get Jay Moore back in the Burg. Who had won a state championship last year at Webb.

If he comes it will be with a substantial cut in salary. Morgan Co. does not have the funds to pay a large enough supplement. The standard $1500.00 supplement plus a lower salary is prohibative on this move for Coach Moore, even if he is "coming home". If they pay more of a supplement, I will certainly be screaming that Coach K deserves as much or more due to his proven track record and loyalty to the Morgan Co. School System. If a supplement for more than the standard is offered I think I know several no votes on the funding.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CYJacket @ Apr 3 2007 - 10:55 AM) 826428949[/snapback]If he comes it will be with a substantial cut in salary. Morgan Co. does not have the funds to pay a large enough supplement. The standard $1500.00 supplement plus a lower salary is prohibative on this move for Coach Moore, even if he is "coming home". If they pay more of a supplement, I will certainly be screaming that Coach K deserves as much or more due to his proven track record and loyalty to the Morgan Co. School System. If a supplement for more than the standard is offered I think I know several no votes on the funding.

ARE YOU SAYING THAT $1500.00 IS ALL THE FOOTBALL JOB PAYS AT WARTBURG? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

QUOTE(writin_on_the wall @ Apr 3 2007 - 01:08 PM) 826428962[/snapback]ARE YOU SAYING THAT $1500.00 IS ALL THE FOOTBALL JOB PAYS AT WARTBURG? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

They supplements are usually about that amount. They may be more for football but the amount is not the problem, it is small. The problem is there is no money in the School budget/County budget for such things. Especially when there are more pressing matters to fund in the school system. Like overall teacher pay as they have not had the County portion increased since the early 1990's and they depend completely upon a raise from State funds. SRO's in every school, roofs on at least three buildings, and general maintenance for the others.

QUOTE(charliemurphy @ Apr 3 2007 - 01:18 PM) 826428970[/snapback]Hey CY the community is going to pay Jay the money so stick your NO VOTE!

Uh, that is fine, pay all you like but it is a violation of Morgan Co. School Board Policy.

http://www.mcs.k12tn.net/policies/pdf/gbf.pdf

Please note number 10 regarding pay for coaches. This applies to Faculty and non-Faculty.

Violation of School Board Policy is grounds for dismissal.

This sounds the same as Monroe County. However it says that the funds must be approved by the B.O.E. which means that all that has to be done is that the booster club at Wartburg can go before the board and get approval to provide their own supplement to the coaches. What I have found out is that this is policy with most board's across the state, but most willingly allow booster clubs to provide additional supplements.

QUOTE(charliemurphy @ Apr 3 2007 - 10:53 AM) 826428896[/snapback]Royalty???? Give me a break! We will see how many times we go to the playoffs and beat Alcoa now that he's gone. I've said on here before he is the only guy to beat Alcoa, Rockwood, Sweetwater, O.S., etc. It will be a long time before another coach at Wartburg will be able to say that.

Having said that, now it's time to get behind the program and try to find a way to fix many of the problems associated with it......Good Luck Boys!

Hey, some of what you say is true-Davis coached teams did beat Alcoa, Sweetwater and the like, but remember some of the players he had on those teams. I also remember the 03 team that should have been the best to ever don a Wartburg uniform and they didn't even make it to the playoffs-mainly because of some of the WORSE coaching I've ever seen! Look, I won't deny that Davis knows his x's and o's. But the bottom line is the guy has no discipline and no intensity. He simply shrugged way too many losses off and made lame excuses for way too long. I SINCERELY hope that Wartburg rights the ship and does better from here on out-after all, I am a former player myself. But no one an I mean NO ONE can convince me that the Wartburg football team had a future with Larry Davis. That being said, I hope they find a good coach and turn their program around-I'm ALL for that!!

QUOTE(CYJacket @ Apr 3 2007 - 11:39 AM) 826428979[/snapback]They supplements are usually about that amount. They may be more for football but the amount is not the problem, it is small. The problem is there is no money in the School budget/County budget for such things. Especially when there are more pressing matters to fund in the school system. Like overall teacher pay as they have not had the County portion increased since the early 1990's and they depend completely upon a raise from State funds. SRO's in every school, roofs on at least three buildings, and general maintenance for the others.

WELL IF 1500.00 IS WHAT IT PAYS IT WILL BE HARD TO FINE A GOOD COACH THAT IS WILLING TO PUT THE TIME INTO THE PROGRAM TO TURN IT AROUND. MIDDLE SCHOOL COACHES IN MOST AREAS PAY MORE THEN 1500.00. MOST COACHES DON`T COACH BECAUSE OF THE MONEY THE COACH FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME AND BEING AROUND THE GAME BUT 1500.00 IS`NT GOING TO GET WARTBURG A GOOD COACH. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

QUOTE(Sequoyah SID @ Apr 3 2007 - 01:57 PM) 826428993[/snapback]This sounds the same as Monroe County. However it says that the funds must be approved by the B.O.E. which means that all that has to be done is that the booster club at Wartburg can go before the board and get approval to provide their own supplement to the coaches. What I have found out is that this is policy with most board's across the state, but most willingly allow booster clubs to provide additional supplements.

Yeah but to circumvent this policy in this manner is not what it was designed to do in the first place. A couple of board members will not approve this move.

QUOTE(dave_chapelle @ Apr 3 2007 - 03:48 PM) 826429084[/snapback]I"m pretty sure the supplement is 3000.00...still not very much. I don't know what is going to happen but I wish the boys at CHS the very best. Hang in there...it'll all work out!

Yeah I think the $1500 is for maybe employed assistants and other sports head coaches. However, it is still against School Board Policy to pay out of unapproved funds and getting these funds approved will be extemely difficult.

QUOTE(CYJacket @ Apr 3 2007 - 02:56 PM) 826429097[/snapback]Yeah I think the $1500 is for maybe employed assistants and other sports head coaches. However, it is still against School Board Policy to pay out of unapproved funds and getting these funds approved will be extemely difficult.

CY Jacket????

If you know so much about school board policies then why are you not running for school board member? The amount for head coaches in high school basketball, football is $3000.00 not 1500.00. Also I believe that the board members would approve the supplements if it is not going to cost the board any more than it pays not.. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />