umps?

Guest inappropriate87

QUOTE(wad @ Apr 30 2007 - 10:58 PM) 826448861[/snapback]7 I think i love you!!! have called for 15 years all three sports. High school and collage, Minor league baseball, Got told by a coach of a AA team tonight he thinks I give in to coaches who bark a lot. Hurt me at first. But the I thought , Out of 175 Coaches I deal with a year. This guy has a problem with the way I deal with coaches . By the way went back and checked my books, I have called 36 games for this coach, he has lost one. I cant believe it. I have to laugh. Well I'm done with High school baseball. I can't afford it any more. BYE.. Another one bites the dust. You guys win............ UNCLE

I'm right their with you man,I'm thinking about hanging it up too, lets see what these coaches and so called fan umpires are going to do when they have no one to call the games or it gets to where they only have one ump calling they keep forgetting they can't play a legal game without us,but you know the bad thing about it is TSSAA doesn't back us either as far as having schools start on time and making sure we get paid when we do a job .I'm still calling and emailing 3 schools trying to get money from games I called 2 to 3 weeks ago,about that dumb coach I bet he has made some bad baseball decious this year that hurt his team ,but I forgot we has umpires are supposed to be perfect[duh] I would like to thank you for 15 years of busting your butt to call 3 sports and what it means to our profession to be able to stick around and have to listen to the crap we have too,good luck!!!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(single7 @ May 2 2007 - 07:33 AM) 826449736[/snapback]I'm right their with you man,I'm thinking about hanging it up too, lets see what these coaches and so called fan umpires are going to do when they have no one to call the games or it gets to where they only have one ump calling they keep forgetting they can't play a legal game without us,but you know the bad thing about it is TSSAA doesn't back us either as far as having schools start on time and making sure we get paid when we do a job .I'm still calling and emailing 3 schools trying to get money from games I called 2 to 3 weeks ago,about that dumb coach I bet he has made some bad baseball decious this year that hurt his team ,but I forgot we has umpires are supposed to be perfect[duh] I would like to thank you for 15 years of busting your butt to call 3 sports and what it means to our profession to be able to stick around and have to listen to the crap we have too,good luck!!!!!

Don't get me wrong. I asked him what was wrong and I got his true answer. I like this coach, still consider him a friend and if that's the way he feels then he has a right to feel that way. He is a class act and runs a first class program. But in the last 5 years I have gone out on a limb to make sure teams had good umpires. Suggested changes when two great teams were playing and first year umpires were scheduled to be there. When problems came up I was the first to try to help. Got MORE than a few phone calls. But you know sometimes it feels good to have someone go out on a limb for you. The one thing I have is love for this game, it's more important then me or a coach who is barking or a fan who just lost his mind. I'm fair, I call the game that's in front of me and I have integrity regardless of what is going on. The players of this game deserve that from me now until the end of time. What my friend said made me think, Maybe it's time to move on before It gets any worse. I have NO hard feelings. That statement question my heart, and took me my surprise.

QUOTE(wad @ May 2 2007 - 08:41 AM) 826449802[/snapback]Don't get me wrong. I asked him what was wrong and I got his true answer. I like this coach, still consider him a friend and if that's the way he feels then he has a right to feel that way. He is a class act and runs a first class program. But in the last 5 years I have gone out on a limb to make sure teams had good umpires. Suggested changes when two great teams were playing and first year umpires were scheduled to be there. When problems came up I was the first to try to help. Got MORE than a few phone calls. But you know sometimes it feels good to have someone go out on a limb for you. The one thing I have is love for this game, it's more important then me or a coach who is barking or a fan who just lost his mind. I'm fair, I call the game that's in front of me and I have integrity regardless of what is going on. The players of this game deserve that from me now until the end of time. What my friend said made me think, Maybe it's time to move on before It gets any worse. I have NO hard feelings. That statement question my heart, and took me my surprise.

hey 7

QUOTE(single7 @ May 2 2007 - 07:33 AM) 826449736[/snapback]I'm right their with you man,I'm thinking about hanging it up too, lets see what these coaches and so called fan umpires are going to do when they have no one to call the games or it gets to where they only have one ump calling they keep forgetting they can't play a legal game without us,but you know the bad thing about it is TSSAA doesn't back us either as far as having schools start on time and making sure we get paid when we do a job .I'm still calling and emailing 3 schools trying to get money from games I called 2 to 3 weeks ago,about that dumb coach I bet he has made some bad baseball decious this year that hurt his team ,but I forgot we has umpires are supposed to be perfect[duh] I would like to thank you for 15 years of busting your butt to call 3 sports and what it means to our profession to be able to stick around and have to listen to the crap we have too,good luck!!!!!

I echo this response, and say thanks to the umps that have stayed through the grind of a middle shcool baseball game, and hung in there when our pitchers were off, and the defense couldn't catch a cold during a four inning, 2 hour game. I noticed something during a recent game and I respected it after I figured out what was going on. I was calling pitches, from the bucket, during a middle school game, and I noticed the plate ump was checking my signals every time I gave one. I believe it was RiverdaleMan. I wondered why he was doing this, but it wasn't a big deal. I think that he was watching to see if the 12 year could throw the pitch called decently, and this was happening on both sides, so that the young men could learn, and pick up some confidence. I appreciated that.

QUOTE(bluecaptain @ May 3 2007 - 07:22 AM) 826450677[/snapback]I echo this response, and say thanks to the umps that have stayed through the grind of a middle shcool baseball game, and hung in there when our pitchers were off, and the defense couldn't catch a cold during a four inning, 2 hour game. I noticed something during a recent game and I respected it after I figured out what was going on. I was calling pitches, from the bucket, during a middle school game, and I noticed the plate ump was checking my signals every time I gave one. I believe it was RiverdaleMan. I wondered why he was doing this, but it wasn't a big deal. I think that he was watching to see if the 12 year could throw the pitch called decently, and this was happening on both sides, so that the young men could learn, and pick up some confidence. I appreciated that.

you give me way to much credit your sign are way to advance for me there is no way i am able to pick up on them..i also dont do 2 hour 4 inning games behind the plate because i dont care what pitch he is throwing at that point if the kid can hit it it is a strike...lol

QUOTE(wad @ Apr 30 2007 - 10:58 PM) 826448861[/snapback]7 I think i love you!!! have called for 15 years all three sports. High school and collage, Minor league baseball, Got told by a coach of a AA team tonight he thinks I give in to coaches who bark a lot. Hurt me at first. But the I thought , Out of 175 Coaches I deal with a year. This guy has a problem with the way I deal with coaches . By the way went back and checked my books, I have called 36 games for this coach, he has lost one. I cant believe it. I have to laugh. Well I'm done with High school baseball. I can't afford it any more. BYE.. Another one bites the dust. You guys win............ UNCLE

Hey Wad, ARE YOU WORKING A Distric tourney this weekend? I'll be at Cherokee 7:30 friday and 2:30 saturday working triple A !

QUOTE(single7 @ May 4 2007 - 07:42 AM) 826451428[/snapback]Hey Wad, ARE YOU WORKING A District tourney this weekend? I'll be at Cherokee 7:30 Friday and 2:30 Saturday working triple A !

Hey 7 , Yes I'm working AA in West Tennessee. Should be a good tournament. Best of luck to you and thanks for all you do. See ya down the road.

Call em like they SOUND.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ May 4 2007 - 08:46 AM) 826451551[/snapback]Are you guys working 3-man crews for your District tournaments? 3-man is great.

district 7 AAA usesa 3 man crew for their tournament we dont make as much per ump but it is nice having 3 guys out there for these tournaments afterall their season are relying on this and it is nice to be able to have that 3rd umpire to help get the call

QUOTE(single7 @ May 4 2007 - 11:21 PM) 826452223[/snapback]YES WE ARE WORKING 3 MAN CREWS IT'S GOOD FOR US AND THE TEAMS

Someone needs to tell the District 8AAA that they need to use 3 man crews. This is the first time I can remember and I've umpired for over 30 years that they are using 2 man crews. There have been several plays already in the two games where a different call could have been made on plays such as pickoffs at first base. One of the coaches was saying they could save money, but it would be only $330 more for the eleven games. Some comments were also made that the umpires had been working a 2 man crew all season and weren't familiar with the 3 man system. All the umpires in this tourney have worked several state tournaments and many, many Region and sectional game where the 3 man crew is mandatory. You have a better view on checked swings and can see the pick-off move to first base by a lefthander much better. Just playing in one less week-end tournament would pay the extra money. It should be mandatory for all district tournaments. That's my opinion, but I could be wrong.

QUOTE(binns37388 @ May 5 2007 - 02:02 AM) 826452284[/snapback]Someone needs to tell the District 8AAA that they need to use 3 man crews. This is the first time I can remember and I've umpired for over 30 years that they are using 2 man crews. There have been several plays already in the two games where a different call could have been made on plays such as pickoffs at first base. One of the coaches was saying they could save money, but it would be only $330 more for the eleven games. Some comments were also made that the umpires had been working a 2 man crew all season and weren't familiar with the 3 man system. All the umpires in this tourney have worked several state tournaments and many, many Region and sectional game where the 3 man crew is mandatory. You have a better view on checked swings and can see the pick-off move to first base by a lefthander much better. Just playing in one less week-end tournament would pay the extra money. It should be mandatory for all district tournaments. That's my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I agree it should be mandatory in districts to work 3 man crews ,it has always blew my mind anyway that it takes 3 officials in every basketball game to cover a court but they just want 2 umpires to cover a whole baseball field some of them like at Elizabethton that is 400 feet from home plate huh now figure that one out,the one problem is you know where to be on a 3 man the rotation is different but when you do it right it's a thing of beauty like last night I was working the plate and went down to a play at 3rd and the first base ump rotated down to cover the plate it showed we were doing our job and why coaches don't want that is beside me,you make a great point on check swings too being in high school ball you probably have 4 or 5 a game and if the ump is on the same side of the batter than you can't even check with him because he can't really see it,the state needs to step up and take control of how many umps call in playoffs and not let schools deciede!