umps?

Guest inappropriate87

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ROCKMAN @ Apr 16 2007 - 09:53 PM) 826439033[/snapback]Your not there to manage. Your there to call balls and strikes. If you open the strike zone for one picther you should open for the other.

Wrong,

First thing you hear at every camp from High School to MLB is MANAGE your game. I'll be happy to call balls and strikes, But don't get mad when your pitchers have walked the last 6 batters, the score is 25-2 in the 3 inning and I'm making them put it on a tee. Maybe you call that baseball. I DON'T. Your the same kind of person that likes to see a holding call in football in the last 3 min of a game, against the team trailing 34-7 because its the right call. GIVE ME A BREAK. Why would you want to see that!!!!!!!

I'll say the toughest thing behind the plate is when one pitcher is hitting his spots and the other one is hitting the backstop. You'd love Wild thang to sniff the strike zone so that you can call it. On the other hand, I wouldn't squeeze the other kid on purpose, but you see it all the time in the Bigs. Glavine and Maddox got a good ball width more outside than lesser pitchers.

I'd say game management is giving both pitchers the expanded strike zone if you have to expand it for the team getting clobbered.

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:14 PM) 826439056[/snapback]I'll say the toughest thing behind the plate is when one pitcher is hitting his spots and the other one is hitting the backstop. You'd love Wild thang to sniff the strike zone so that you can call it. On the other hand, I wouldn't squeeze the other kid on purpose, but you see it all the time in the Bigs. Glavine and Maddox got a good ball width more outside than lesser pitchers.

I'd say game management is giving both pitchers the expanded strike zone if you have to expand it for the team getting clobbered.

If your hitting spots, you will get more calls. If you hit the mascot, the back stop and three feet in front of the plate. then the next pitch that misses by a ball out side. Please don't think your going to get that strike.

QUOTE(wad @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:06 PM) 826439046[/snapback]Wrong,

First thing you hear at every camp from High School to MLB is MANAGE your game. I'll be happy to call balls and strikes, But don't get mad when your pitchers have walked the last 6 batters, the score is 25-2 in the 3 inning and I'm making them put it on a tee. Maybe you call that baseball. I DON'T. Your the same kind of person that likes to see a holding call in football in the last 3 min of a game, against the team trailing 34-7 because its the right call. GIVE ME A BREAK. Why would you want to see that!!!!!!!

I do like to see the right calls made. Just part of the game. You get paid to do a job. You probably call holding on a 34-34 game just to control the outcome and call that management.

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:14 PM) 826439056[/snapback]I'll say the toughest thing behind the plate is when one pitcher is hitting his spots and the other one is hitting the backstop. You'd love Wild thang to sniff the strike zone so that you can call it. On the other hand, I wouldn't squeeze the other kid on purpose, but you see it all the time in the Bigs. Glavine and Maddox got a good ball width more outside than lesser pitchers.

I will agree with you. I think this is what everybody is saying.

QUOTE(ROCKMAN @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:39 PM) 826439086[/snapback]I do like to see the right calls made. Just part of the game. You get paid to do a job. You probably call holding on a 34-34 game just to control the outcome and call that management.

Your a JOKE, what you do in a close game is call the game. If the game is WELL out of hand you MANAGE the game. I bet you like to see your coach leave his starters in to pad their stats. But i will also say your the first one who would get on here and complain when one of those starters gets hurt in a blowout. I know your type I deal with them everyday. Sit down and enjoy the game. If you have the guts come join us. Maybe you can call a 4 and a half hour game 35-6 with your so called strike zone and look those kids in the face. Or better yet just sit in the cheap seats where you belong.

i was gonna try and not say anything about all this but i cant help myself....CALL STRIKES be consistant and you wont have any problems if you call it 2 inches outside stay there all night if you are calling a ball below the knees stay there and you wont get in any trouble..

us umpires only get into trouble (for the most part) when pitchers are not throwing well becasue then if we dont get that borderline pitch they are mad because it was probalby the best pitch of the day...i had that today first 2 pitches hit in front of the plate the third pitch goes behind the batter and the 4th pitch is 2 baseballs inside but compared to the other 3 it looked so good and they dont understand why it was a ball

if a game is 20 somthing to 1 or so BOTH teams better be swinging...NOBODY IN THAT PARK FROM EITHER TEAM OR EITHER DUGOUT CARES WHAT YOU CALL A PITCH THEY WAN THE GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it just looks like you are favoring one zone over the other because the winning pitcher is having a good day that is why they are up 20 somthing to 1 or so..the losing coahc is wanting everything called and the winning coach is usually telling his guys if you can hit it SWING also this is where subs are put in a coach doesnt want o see that guy walk HE WANTS TO SEE IHM HIT!!!! he wants him toswing the bat and see what he can do.

but that is my few cents if it is worth that much

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Apr 16 2007 - 11:23 PM) 826439124[/snapback]i was gonna try and not say anything about all this but i cant help myself....CALL STRIKES be consistant and you wont have any problems if you call it 2 inches outside stay there all night if you are calling a ball below the knees stay there and you wont get in any trouble..

us umpires only get into trouble (for the most part) when pitchers are not throwing well becasue then if we dont get that borderline pitch they are mad because it was probalby the best pitch of the day...i had that today first 2 pitches hit in front of the plate the third pitch goes behind the batter and the 4th pitch is 2 baseballs inside but compared to the other 3 it looked so good and they dont understand why it was a ball

if a game is 20 somthing to 1 or so BOTH teams better be swinging...NOBODY IN THAT PARK FROM EITHER TEAM OR EITHER DUGOUT CARES WHAT YOU CALL A PITCH THEY WAN THE GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it just looks like you are favoring one zone over the other because the winning pitcher is having a good day that is why they are up 20 somthing to 1 or so..the losing coahc is wanting everything called and the winning coach is usually telling his guys if you can hit it SWING also this is where subs are put in a coach doesnt want o see that guy walk HE WANTS TO SEE IHM HIT!!!! he wants him toswing the bat and see what he can do.

but that is my few cents if it is worth that much

Riverdale man...you are absolutely right. I have worked tons of games at all levels, mostly HS and juco in the past 10 years or so. I try to be consistent game after game and I have a theory. Most if not all of the coaches WANT a large strike zone for both teams.That way their hitters dont stand there looking for a free pass and their defense doesnt go to sleep in the field. But the main thing is for the umpire to be CONSISTANT ALL DAY LONG..IF YOU START BIG ...STAY BIG UNTIL THE LAST OUT...It is a lot easier to expand just a little if the game gets out of hand but be careful, the only one that will look bad is you if you start calling everything that comes in the direction of the backstop, a strike. Ths funny thing to me is how the fans and coaches can see the corners etc so much better than the ump. AMAZING!!! I overheard a fan the other night say to another fan who had a smark remark like "hey blue, how could you call that a strike?" , He said, hey that pitch has been a strike all night long, and it is still a strike!! That made me feel good about myself that I was being consistent from start to finish...The coaches rarely ever say a word if you have the same zone, night after night, and for the whole game, for BOTH TEAMS!! I believe when the ump starts trying to HELP one team or another he is doing a very poor job and besides that , it is the WRONG thing to do. Coaches and fans try to get in the head of the umpire and sometime it works and will take the umps attention off the game and he will really screw up trying to do it to suit the crybabies just to keep them from getting on him. I hardly ever hear anything the crowd says but some of the younger umps do and it really effects their concentration and the quality of the job they do..I just tell them , Do the best you can, be consistent , and dont listen to the fans or coaches...I tell them that "IF THEY ARE CRYING ABOUT THE ZONE OR WHATEVER, AT LEAST THEY ARE PAYING ATTENTION!!, whether they know what they are talking about or not..By the way, THERE ARE A LOT OF UMPIRE JOB OPENINGS AVAILABLE IN THE AREA!!!...but we are sort of like THE U. S. MARINE CORPS...we are looking for FEW good men!!! See you in Murfreesboro, Riverdale man..

funny you say that about coaches seeing the pitch and the location of it i confined my first coach yesterday he was yelling about the pitch being a foot and ahalf outside i told him it wasnt if it was i would have called it a ball so he argued a llittle more and i put him in the dugout..but how he was able to tell that pitch was that far outside standing on the first base coaches box was beyond me LOL...In 11 years of umpiring i have tossed 1 coach(7 8 yr old coach pitch) and confined 1 (middle school) so thats not too bad

cubcadet look me up look forward to meeting you