umps?

Guest inappropriate87

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 23 2007 - 04:33 PM) 826443581[/snapback]Baseball is like the Bible. No two people treat either of them the exact same way. That is what makes them both so great

As far as umpires go. Think it is rough in some of the games with them? Well, not having them at all is a far more troubling thought.....

And some umpires, like some sophomore left handers, may get better with age

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New to this replying messed up sorry, but davidlimbaugh was that last quote about soph.lefties a dig for someone or just a general observation?

Umps got it bad, its hard not to let em have it after a bad call(as us parents see it) but I guess its the way the ball bounces(oh thats the other b-ball and those are refs) wait arent some of them calling both sports or even out there on the football field too! Are some bad at three? At least their consistent!

DBMom, I'd have to say calling fastballs with a hotdog in one hand and a Mountain Dew in the other is next to impossible to call from the bleachers along the third or first base lines where you hear some of the griping. You're judging height of the ball only. No idea where the pitch crossed the plate. I will agree that timing is an umpires best friend. I might yell "don't give up on it blue. It's still curvin'" Most umpires wouldn't take offense to that on a quick call.

One of the Mom's that used to keep score for summer games told me she'd put EC on the book when the coach left a pitcher in too long or didn't move the runner to second prior to a double play. EC= Error on Coach. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

How much pay would it take for those that think umpires are paid too much to spend 3 or more hours away from your family while paying for your own gas and sometimes taking off from work early to call a game that's gonna start at 4:00 with 6 fans in the seats in the middle of nowhere for 2 teams that are last and second to last in the district during the middle of April when the fish are biting and the turkey's are gobbling? Not enough is the answer most of the time. Do umpires and officials get workman's compensation if they blow out a knee umpiring a game? I've seen that happen a time or two.

Just to let you know. Called a good game tonight. Two great teams. Runners on first and third 1 out, pop fly to short stop. Three men in the stands started in on me because i did not call a infield fly. Thank god a mom told them the rule. One still kept on me saying Infield fly happens when ever a runner is on third. I just smiled and thought of this topic. Thanks fans for making my point. My motto, Never argue with a three year old, your boss or a fan in the stands. Because one is too young, dumb and wants their way all the time, one is always right and pigheaded, and wants it their way all the time, and the last is ALL OF THE ABOVE. HA HA HA

QUOTE(wad @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:02 PM) 826443908[/snapback]Just to let you know. Called a good game tonight. Two great teams. Runners on first and third 1 out, pop fly to short stop. Three men in the stands started in on me because i did not call a infield fly. Thank god a mom told them the rule. One still kept on me saying Infield fly happens when ever a runner is on third. I just smiled and thought of this topic. Thanks fans for making my point. My motto, Never argue with a three year old, your boss or a fan in the stands.

No dig on the soph lefty comment - every 20 year veteran umpire called his first game 20 years ago

The infield fly rule story reminded me of one of the best stories ever....

TRUE STORY:

A Saturday at Riverdale. I think it was a 4th of July Classic tournament game?

Bobby Barlow (We miss ya Bobby B!) was calling behind the plate.

3-2 pitch with runners on 1st and second and 1 out. Runners go on the pitch - pitch is ball 4 outside but

the catcher hoses the runner at 3rd and the 3rd baseman puts the tag down. For the next two innings a

lady in her 70s yells how they would be winning if they got that call right - he was out at 3rd by a mile!!!

Finally, between innings Bobby B walks over to the screen and calls her over and explains to her,

very nice and calm, that he was safe because the walk lets all the runners advance to the next base - she

said well that just ain't right - he was out - and a fellow fan took her by the shoulder and set her back down

and went on trying to explain the rule in question to her - That is a true story - I wuz there!!!!

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 23 2007 - 09:31 PM) 826443873[/snapback]One of the Mom's that used to keep score for summer games told me she'd put EC on the book when the coach left a pitcher in too long or didn't move the runner to second prior to a double play. EC= Error on Coach. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

My personal experience is that "EC" would appear in the scorebook--especially if one expanded that definition to include bad decisions about the lineup or pitch selection--a lot more than "BC" (bad call).

Or, in other words, there are coaches who are not nearly as good as the umpires they complain about.

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:19 PM) 826443923[/snapback]No dig on the soph lefty comment - every 20 year veteran umpire called his first game 20 years ago

The infield fly rule story reminded me of one of the best stories ever....

TRUE STORY:

A Saturday at Riverdale. I think it was a 4th of July Classic tournament game?

Bobby Barlow (We miss ya Bobby B!) was calling behind the plate.

3-2 pitch with runners on 1st and second and 1 out. Runners go on the pitch - pitch is ball 4 outside but

the catcher hoses the runner at 3rd and the 3rd baseman puts the tag down. For the next two innings a

lady in her 70s yells how they would be winning if they got that call right - he was out at 3rd by a mile!!!

Finally, between innings Bobby B walks over to the screen and calls her over and explains to her,

very nice and calm, that he was safe because the walk lets all the runners advance to the next base - she

said well that just ain't right - he was out - and a fellow fan took her by the shoulder and set her back down

and went on trying to explain the rule in question to her - That is a true story - I wuz there!!!!

David, I have a pretty good one also that really happened..The last year that the state was in Chattanooga at Engle Stadium, i and two of my crew members were sitting inthe stands after we worked our game and was watching the AAA championship game between Lavergne and Farragut. ( believe that is right about Farragut.) Anyway, everything was just cruising along and we were sitting in the stands right behind the plate, just to the side of the Farragut parents section. the parents told us we had done an excellent job with their team's game that morning (proud of that ) and hoped that the crew on this game would do the same..We told them they had probably the best in the business for this one. The man working the plate was none other than Dale Ford. He has over 26 years in the bigs as you well know. The other three were ACC and SEC umpires that were helpng out as well... We told them who Dale was and they were really surprised to hear that he was working the game...Really a priviledge to have him do that like he does every year. About midway thru the game, more Farragut parents sat down with them and didnt know who Dale Ford was. At that time , with Farragut in the field and more than likely, his son on the mound, the pitch came to the plate. It was a breaking ball but not even close. BALL! The guy hollers at Ford and says " good grief blue, that was a STRIKE! have you never seen a good curve ball before?" "What is the matter with you?" I just about cried. I lokked over at the other parents that knew who he was and his credentials, and they busted a gut laughing..The guy who hollered had no idea what about ...Finally when they told him, he got up and went to another part of the stands..That was probably the best part of the weekend for us except the ribs at Sticky Fingers!! Just goes to show you that you never know who the masked man is!!! Seriously, I know that all the umps try their best to do a great job..some may have a bad day every now and then but who doesn't?..It really must be tough to be perfect in everything you do in life!!! I will never know. Have a good rest of the year everybody!

QUOTE(CUBCADET @ Apr 24 2007 - 07:18 AM) 826443979[/snapback]David, I have a pretty good one also that really happened..The last year that the state was in Chattanooga at Engle Stadium, i and two of my crew members were sitting inthe stands after we worked our game and was watching the AAA championship game between Lavergne and Farragut. ( believe that is right about Farragut.) Anyway, everything was just cruising along and we were sitting in the stands right behind the plate, just to the side of the Farragut parents section. the parents told us we had done an excellent job with their team's game that morning (proud of that ) and hoped that the crew on this game would do the same..We told them they had probably the best in the business for this one. The man working the plate was none other than Dale Ford.

We have had the great fortune to have Brother Dale call at the Reservation on several occasions. And it amazes me that parents will yell at him and wonder where he ever called before. Well, lets see.... Home plate umpire for Game 6 of the Red Sox-Mets 86 World Series (The Buckner game) and he had the plate the night Robin Ventura charged Nolan Ryan. A great umpire and a better person.....

And our 4th of July tournament we get in several ACC and SEC umpires to help us. One year we had brother Gilmore calling and a coach from Ohio actually left the dugout and went and stood behind the screen - he told Gilmore between innings he wanted a better view of the strike zone to which Gilmore replied he better go ahead and have a seat because he wasn't getting near that dugout again anytime soon - LOL!!!

Now - you can't make this up - 4 years later - we are washed out at Riverdale but it doesn't rain a drop in Lavergne and Coach Williams is kind enough to let us use his field - guess who gets to the semifinals - the same coach from Ohio with a different team - and guess who is working the game - Gilmore - too funny!

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:31 PM) 826443873[/snapback]DBMom, I'd have to say calling fastballs with a hotdog in one hand and a Mountain Dew in the other is next to impossible to call from the bleachers along the third or first base lines where you hear some of the griping. You're judging height of the ball only. No idea where the pitch crossed the plate. I will agree that timing is an umpires best friend. I might yell "don't give up on it blue. It's still curvin'" Most umpires wouldn't take offense to that on a quick call.

Ahhhh KS.... I know better n that.... why if I'm making calls with my hotdog and Mtn Dew- you know I've got my feet propped up on the fence directly behind home plate! Shew.... anybody knows you can't make calls from the third base dugout or the first base coaching box don't they??? ***wink***

But on a more serious note, what really got my blood boiling on this thread is the rookie umpire that said he changed his strike zone to help that struggling pitcher because his field umpire told him to...

I certainly agree with everyone that the coaches make as many or more mistakes then the umpires...but this is not a thread about coaching mistakes is it?

Umpire mistakes are really not a big issue for me. Everybody makes mistakes.... what got me was when the umpire admitted to "fixing" his strike zone so as to help the struggling pitcher. The game already has rules to fix that... we end it in 5 innings without the umpire doing a thing. That slaughter rule is not found in the OBR...

I seem to be the only one that thinks he is wrong in "managing HIS game" this way. But then I also do not see it as being his game...he is just the paid help to see that the rules are followed...he is NOT paid to bend the rules or make new ones as the game goes along.

As for the "PIE HOLE man", Ignorance is blissful and if the only meaningful comment he can come up with is to tell someone to "shut their pie-hole" well, that alone is proof enough that he is not real good at adding meaningful, thought-provoking comments to a conversation. Of course kindergarten kids learn the skill of throwing dirt at their opponent during recess....but most kids mature and learn to debate with some level of logic by the time they graduate from high school. There are obviously some among us who lack those skills.

QUOTE(inappropriate87 @ Apr 10 2007 - 09:09 PM) 826434460[/snapback]is it just me or are they just horrible this year

Having umpired at the high school and college level for 28 years it never seems to amase me at the people who knows so much but reallyknows so little about umpiring! I go to meetings camps and help teach umpires, now like some players are not all of us are this dedicated but most of us are,We also have other jobs I do this because I love the game and the kids but it is getting to the point where we get no respect from fans or schools we drive sometimes 50 to a 100 miles at 3 dollars a gallon of gas we rush to get their 30 mins before game time then they never start on time then they make excuses for not having our checks and we usually have to make long distant calls just to get our money but then we are expected to go out and call the best game ever , I know the rules and I husstle I give the best I know how and when I can't I will quit,we buy our on uniforms which by the way is not cheap and they make me pay upfront ,so really why would someone be interested in being an umpire around here? Football and Basketball is God to these schools and baseball has always been treated different so for all of u who think u r so much better than I am let's take a test and let's go over where we should be on the field on a 2 or 3 man cruw so either put up or shut up because we do the best we can,I haven't seen a well played ballgame in high school this year and not many college games ,just remember 1 play does not deciede a game and 1 call doesn't either,when was the last time someone told a umpire they appreciate them for just being their for the kids?

7 I think i love you!!! have called for 15 years all three sports. High school and collage, Minor league baseball, Got told by a coach of a AA team tonight he thinks I give in to coaches who bark a lot. Hurt me at first. But the I thought , Out of 175 Coaches I deal with a year. This guy has a problem with the way I deal with coaches . By the way went back and checked my books, I have called 36 games for this coach, he has lost one. I cant believe it. I have to laugh. Well I'm done with High school baseball. I can't afford it any more. BYE.. Another one bites the dust. You guys win............ UNCLE