HBP and BB

Took

Thanks for the input.. I was just trying to post a new topic to get peoples different opinions.. i didnt know that i was going to hurt westtennsports's feelings so bad or i wouldnt have started it.. i never said whether i was for it or against it.. i was just throwing it out there.. but obviously i cant let my mind think because it works too many others up.. lighten up.. this is coacht. not life or death..

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Took @ Apr 12 2007 - 11:16 AM) 826435911[/snapback]Thanks for the input.. I was just trying to post a new topic to get peoples different opinions.. i didnt know that i was going to hurt westtennsports's feelings so bad or i wouldnt have started it.. i never said whether i was for it or against it.. i was just throwing it out there.. but obviously i cant let my mind think because it works too many others up.. lighten up.. this is coacht. not life or death..

You ask what people thought.

They told you.

You're the one that needs to lighten up.

I do not think that HBP or BB should count toward an at bat. Then on the other hand if it did, a lot of BA would be higher than they are now if you think about it.

Game Scenerio: a batter is up to bat 5 times in a game...gets BB 3 times then K's or grounds out the other 2 times. That batter would be 3 for 5 that game.

If BB or HBP was part of an at bats then everyone would be looking for a BB or HBP. This would cause the game to last longer and pitchers would not be trying to throw strikes. This would not be baseball.

I still do not think that HBP or BB should be a part of an at bat.

QUOTE(bigchief @ Apr 12 2007 - 01:09 PM) 826435953[/snapback]Batting average is not nearly as important as on-base % and hitting with runners in scoring position.

That is what wins games.

You've got that right....isn't the job of the lead off hitter to get on base...if you listen to some of these guys a bunt would only be considered 1/2 a hit....that's nuts!

QUOTE(bigchief @ Apr 12 2007 - 02:09 PM) 826435953[/snapback]Batting average is not nearly as important as on-base % and hitting with runners in scoring position.

That is what wins games.

OBP uses the HP+BB in it's average. So if it's how many times a player get on base for each time he comes to the plate you go to the OBP to see that information. So there is no need to include BB or HP in the BA...it just does not belong with a calculation that measures how many hits you get for each time at bat.

Now here is a calculation I would like to see added to the OBP... Tell me what you think of this:

On Base By Error (OBE)

My thoughts here are if you're going to use HP and BB to get a true picture of how often a player gets to base then (OBE) should count also..he is on base by something other then a hit is he not? He can score just as if he walked or got Hit by the Pitch can he not?

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Apr 12 2007 - 01:48 PM) 826435995[/snapback]OBP uses the HP+BB is its average. So if it's how many times a player get on base for each time he comes to the plate you go to the OBP to see that information. So there is no need to include BB or HP in the BA...it just does not belong with a calculation that measures how many hits you get for each time at bat.

Now here is a calculation I would like to see added to the OBP... Tell me what you think of this:

On Base By Error (OBE)

My thoughts here are if you're going to use HP and BB to get a true picture of how often a player gets to base then (OBE) should count also..he is on base by something other then a hit is he not? He can score just as if he walked or got Hit by the Pitch can he not?

reaching on an error is calculated...I thought.

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Apr 12 2007 - 02:50 PM) 826436000[/snapback]reaching on an error is calculated...I thought.

The formula I found does not include it....as you see logically I think it should be included, so your probably right. I must have just gotton a bad formula from someone.

I will go do some research.

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Apr 12 2007 - 01:23 PM) 826436029[/snapback]The formula I found does not include it....as you see logically I think it should be included, so your probably right. I must have just gotton a bad formula from someone.

I will go do some research.

Yeah, you should go do some research. Ladies and gentlemen- just another example of a DB fan having an excuse for everything. 1moreDBmom- just admit you need to do some research instead of blaming your mistake on someone else.

There is a stat that takes into account HBP and BB and it has been mentioned already.....On Base Percentage. The other thing that bothers me is that most people don't understand that statistically they do help your batting average by limiting plate appearances. If a player gets up to bat 5 times in a game, say he goes he gets a single, makes 2 outs, and walks twice. He is considered as going 1-3 and not 1-5. The statistics are there because no one typically bats over .500 . it has happened but it is rare in high school. Let's assume a hitter has an average of .333 . If the player walks or is HBP, he realistically had about a 1 in 3 odds of getting a hit that plate appearence, but instead he walked. So more often than not when a player walks, he statistically increases his average. The stats go like this..... say the guy has 99 total at bats and 33 hits and he comes to the plate. If he walks, he stays at .333. If he makes an out he drops to .330. If he gets a hit he raises his average to .340 . the odds are only 1 in 3 that he raises his average (given that he does not walk). there is a 2 in 3 chance that he lowers his average. meaning that by walking he did statistically help his average.

Now that I am done with the math lesson...I am getting really fed up with these kids not taking walks. The other night I watched a lead-off hitter throw his bat in disgust after he walked. He was not walked intentionally. Does he not realize that he helped his team by getting on base? Is that not the job of the lead-off hitter? It made me so mad I wanted to go out there and tell him "you are not bigger than the game, or your team". If you are parents and you read this board, I hope you encourage your kids to take walks, be a team player, and put themselves, their personal stats and their pride second. I have coached for a long time and I would give anything for players who play the game right. Unfortunately those players are getting harder and harder to find.

QUOTE(justafanman22 @ Apr 12 2007 - 03:13 PM) 826436104[/snapback]There is a stat that takes into account HBP and BB and it has been mentioned already.....On Base Percentage. The other thing that bothers me is that most people don't understand that statistically they do help your batting average by limiting plate appearances. If a player gets up to bat 5 times in a game, say he goes he gets a single, makes 2 outs, and walks twice. He is considered as going 1-3 and not 1-5. The statistics are there because no one typically bats over .500 . it has happened but it is rare in high school. Let's assume a hitter has an average of .333 . If the player walks or is HBP, he realistically had about a 1 in 3 odds of getting a hit that plate appearence, but instead he walked. So more often than not when a player walks, he statistically increases his average. The stats go like this..... say the guy has 99 total at bats and 33 hits and he comes to the plate. If he walks, he stays at .333. If he makes an out he drops to .330. If he gets a hit he raises his average to .340 . the odds are only 1 in 3 that he raises his average (given that he does not walk). there is a 2 in 3 chance that he lowers his average. meaning that by walking he did statistically help his average.

Now that I am done with the math lesson...I am getting really fed up with these kids not taking walks. The other night I watched a lead-off hitter throw his bat in disgust after he walked. He was not walked intentionally. Does he not realize that he helped his team by getting on base? Is that not the job of the lead-off hitter? It made me so mad I wanted to go out there and tell him "you are not bigger than the game, or your team". If you are parents and you read this board, I hope you encourage your kids to take walks, be a team player, and put themselves, their personal stats and their pride second. I have coached for a long time and I would give anything for players who play the game right. Unfortunately those players are getting harder and harder to find.

That was one of the best explanations I have ever heard. Where did you coach at? I know when I played, I would have really enjoyed playing for a coach like you.