Farragut vs Maryville

The King of the Burbs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farragut/Maryville game was outstanding and, yes, scary at the same time. Both teams were extremely physical, and that is what led to two injuries. The Maryville player broke his collar bone, and he left on a stretcher. Later, a Farragut player was knocked out cold, and had a seizure. It might sound like this is an exaggeration, but according to the doctors who were on the field, the Farragut player really did break into a seizure after he regained consciousness.

The foul on the Farragut player was a huge upper cut, and this definitely deserved a card--maybe a red. Overall, definitely the most physical game I have seen this season.

That aside, here is my take as a non-partisan...it was honestly a pretty even game. The shots seemed relatively even, but Farragut definitely had the better shots. I was most impressed with Carter from Maryville. He was extremely aggressive, and as I predicted, worked himself to death. He made Holt practically non-existent and beat him to nearly every 50/50 ball. But that is why Farragut has Russell. I do believe that Carter had the best play in the middle, but I was also extremely impressed with Russell. He knew that he was not going to "out-physical" or outrun Carter; thus, he let the game come to him. He plays with an equanimity that all coaches dream of out of a center-mid. When the chances came, he finished them. Russell seems to be a simple player; he laces up, gets the job done, and he goes home--very attractive soccer player.

Quick re-cap:

-Farragut scores early off a throw-in from Backstrom to Russell

-Maryville probably outshoots Farragut for the rest of the half, but a lot of their shots were wild and from long range. They also benefitted from a huge wind in the first half.

-Maryville misses a breakaway, and has a goal called off for offsides. Yes, it was offsides, despite the fact that Maryville's fans went nuts.

-Farragut wins the second half, as Maryville tires and starts to play too direct. Russell scores off a brilliant cross from Backstrom in the last five minutes.

I honestly think that Maryville will be tough down the stretch and definitely a team to beat next year. (I just found out tonight that they only start one senior (#9 up top). I also think that people thinking this was going to be a blowout obviously have not seen Maryville play this year.

Farragut should again be the team to beat this year, if they can avoid getting complacent.

Side note: A depth-lacking Maryville DEFINITELY benefitted more from two 30 minute ambulance breaks.

Finally, my thoughts and prayers go out to both the Farragut player and the Maryville player that were injured tonight. Please keep us posted on their status.

QUOTE(dins8 @ Apr 16 2007 - 09:32 PM) 826439074[/snapback]Finally, my thoughts and prayers go out to both the Farragut player and the Maryville player that were injured tonight. Please keep us posted on their status.

The Maryville player, Roderick Blevins, will miss the rest of the season with a broken clavicle. He fractured it 6 weeks ago, but was released by his doctor 2 weeks ago to play as long as there was a padding on it. This time, the impact caused it to break completely. Side note: there was no foul on the play.

QUOTE(The King of the Burbs @ Apr 16 2007 - 09:28 PM) 826438896[/snapback]Farraguts defensive subs played again, Maryville player rebroke his collar bone on a fall to the ground and an ambulance came. Farragut's Drew Hemiter got knocked out cold and an ambulance came again to get him by an extrememly dirty undercut that should have been a red card, but instead the ref gives one to Farragut for talking back on a different play. Farragut scored from a throw from Backstrom to Russell who headed it in in the first 10 and then Backstrom played a ball across to a wide open Russell who scored with about 10 to go.

All joking aside, those "subs" are very good players.

QUOTE(bigwillystyle247 @ Apr 16 2007 - 10:11 PM) 826438965[/snapback]He was knocked out cold for a good 30 seconds then just started freaking out and shaking and his face turned like blue.. It was extremely scary. The people who were there to help did amazing tho. we will keep you updated, and thanks for asking. keep him in your thought please, along with the maryville fellow

This is scary stuff. I have complained about the dangers of going up and under a player that is airborn. It can be life-threatening. This should be something that all players should be concerned with and aware of the possibilities of this action. I was not there to see this, but it was a good thing that some medical professionals were there. Just so that everyone knows, when a person "passes out" of is just plain knocked out, the body has it's own defense system. If a person is placed with their head even slightly forward at the wrong angle, mostly with the chin tilted down, the body takes this as a threat to the airway and will put you into a seizure. This usually causes the body the straighten out and stiffen, breathing will increase and the body will start to shake. This is one of the scariest things in the world to watch. If this ever happens, it is real, real important to do a few things- 1. Make sure the airway is o.k.- don't let the head tilt forward. 2. Don't move them, other than positioning the airway- any time someone hits the ground they may have a neck injury! 3.. TALK to the person that is injured...they will hear you before they can answer you or speak...this will help them to relax. 4. Get professional help quick- there are usually doctors at the games, 911 isn't bad either. I hope for the best for this player!!