Rankings Week 6

mjuhb

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to either notice Karns or take Oak Ridge off the top 30. I'm thinking Oak Ridge deserves to be there, so...

The Karns coach is new this year. Coach Mike McClean is the Impact U19 coach who has taken the team to consecutive state championships and Championship of the Premier League. No fair hiring a real soccer coach, Karns!

Is it time for all other schools to follow that lead?

Congratulations, Karns. Mike is a great coach who actually likes his players.

QUOTE(stevescarb @ Apr 18 2007 - 05:30 AM) 826440065[/snapback]Is it time for all other schools to follow that lead?

I think schools would do more of that, but the TSSAA is so particular about club coaches coaching highschool, that it makes it near impossible. For example, Mike can't have any players from Karns on his club team, or he can't coach at that school. It gets to be a pretty complicated process.

I know Mike (from my Tusculum days) and he is a great guy and a great coach. David Pifer was on his Impact team.

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 18 2007 - 08:13 AM) 826440084[/snapback]I think schools would do more of that, but the TSSAA is so particular about club coaches coaching highschool, that it makes it near impossible.

That's correct but not quite what I am thinking. A few years back it would have been difficult to fill a teaching position with someone who was qualified to coach a HS soccer team. Now there are a ton of soccer players and potential coaches with teaching certificates. maybe not with the credentials of Coach Pifer or Coach G or Coach McClean, but certainly better than the Varsity football coach's nephew who had never seen a soccer ball in person before. (True, but don't get me started)

I think it's time for School admins to give the students who play soccer the same consideration they give football players.

The offseason noncontact rules are inane at best and probably illegal. I understand the potential for abuse but it's not much greater than the actual abuse of the off season conditioning rules in football.

While this is off topic (and might make a good seperate thread) I know that some schools will not hire a soccer coach that does not have a teaching certificate (which is NOT required by the TSSAA in soccer). I know that Lenoir City has had a problem filling coach Martin's shoes as "head" coach, because of this.

Gotta love the TSSAA's off season rules... We won the 50% ruling with the TSSAA, but the "NO OPEN FACILITIES IN THE FALL" is down right stupid. I guess we had to choose our battle. Like you said, Steve, don't get me started.

Also, on a side note, it might be nice for schools to throw the kind of salaries to soccer coaches that they throw at the other big sports. Why do you think a lot of the good coaches go to club?

QUOTE(BigG @ Apr 18 2007 - 11:15 AM) 826440235[/snapback]While this is off topic (and might make a good seperate thread) I know that some schools will not hire a soccer coach that does not have a teaching certificate (which is NOT required by the TSSAA in soccer). I know that Lenoir City has had a problem filling coach Martin's shoes as "head" coach, because of this.

Gotta love the TSSAA's off season rules... We won the 50% ruling with the TSSAA, but the "NO OPEN FACILITIES IN THE FALL" is down right stupid. I guess we had to choose our battle. Like you said, Steve, don't get me started.

Also, on a side note, it might be nice for schools to throw the kind of salaries to soccer coaches that they throw at the other big sports. Why do you think a lot of the good coaches go to club?

I think they coach club, because they love coaching, and they get to work with the players they choose for 8-9 months a year whereas is HS, their team comes from a limited pool, they have some silly rules dictated to them, and unless their team is elite (top 8 in their division), only get to work with their players for about 3 months.

QUOTE(stevescarb @ Apr 18 2007 - 06:30 AM) 826440065[/snapback]Time to either notice Karns or take Oak Ridge off the top 30. I'm thinking Oak Ridge deserves to be there, so...

The Karns coach is new this year. Coach Mike McClean is the Impact U19 coach who has taken the team to consecutive state championships and Championship of the Premier League. No fair hiring a real soccer coach, Karns!

i if put karns than south-doyle people will throw fits

there is probably 36 good teams in AAA but only 30 spots

QUOTE(stevescarb @ Apr 18 2007 - 07:30 AM) 826440065[/snapback]Time to either notice Karns or take Oak Ridge off the top 30. I'm thinking Oak Ridge deserves to be there, so...

I believe that the team Mike Coaches is the U-18 Impact (89's)