Farragut..16-0 win over WB

NedNatterjack

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every season this happens. Boys and Girls. Over the years it has become obvious which coaches slam a team as hard as they can, and which ones have established the DISCIPLINE with their team to only score on crosses, 1 touch, headers ..whatever. You don't hear folks on here from East West Podunk High School saying "it's their job to stop us". Personally, I believe that little Johnny/Sally JV learn more about life and the game from the disciplined approach, than from having a goal in a high school soccer game. IMO.

How many people that are posting in this thread were actually at the game? How do we all know that this isn't what happened? The Farragut coach could have told them to only score a certain way. Is it really Farragut's fault if WB is bad? I'll just quote some fans that were actually there. "They are really... really bad"-FHS student, "It was sad to watch"-FHS student, "I wanted to leave they were that bad"-FHS student. Lets put the blame of this game "getting out of hand" on William Blount for basically not even trying or just being flat out terrible.

So Keeper are you saying you would want to teach kids to not try and do the best they can no matter what? That is what it seems like to me. Why do people always have to get so upset when a team gets beat badly? Did you ever think the coach for the losing team might have something to do with the loss?

Why does everyone act like a 14-0 win is so terrible. the only thing humiliating about it is when people draw attention to it and make a freakin thread about it. i've been on the both sides of a double digit goal win and it's honestly not a big deal. When a team refuses to stop scoring it's just as embarassing as winning by several goals. farragut had to play this game cuz it was a district game and it sounds like they did everything in their power to not let it get out of hand, so just let it go.

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ Apr 20 2007 - 09:59 PM) 826442186[/snapback]How many people that are posting in this thread were actually at the game? How do we all know that this isn't what happened? The Farragut coach could have told them to only score a certain way. Is it really Farragut's fault if WB is bad? I'll just quote some fans that were actually there. "They are really... really bad"-FHS student, "It was sad to watch"-FHS student, "I wanted to leave they were that bad"-FHS student. Lets put the blame of this game "getting out of hand" on William Blount for basically not even trying or just being flat out terrible.

So Keeper are you saying you would want to teach kids to not try and do the best they can no matter what? That is what it seems like to me. Why do people always have to get so upset when a team gets beat badly? Did you ever think the coach for the losing team might have something to do with the loss?

No friends...I agree with you on all of your post except for the part about it being the other coach's fault.

People who were not at the game should not play omniscient about ways to avoid an annihilation. A couple of years ago, I got slammed by the press and others for beating a team 15-0. When it was 9-0 at halftime, I tried to tell my players to just possess, score off crosses, only score off headers etc. I even started inconspicuously taking players off the field (a team can play with as little as seven players). I had players who played negative even when there was an open net; others were popping the ball up to deliberately try and score off a header.

Well, as bad of soccer players as the opposing players were, they were not idiots. My tactics to avoid running up the score only resulted in further humiliation. They realized that we were just trying to possess and started going cleats up, playing dangerously and jeopardizing my players. One of my best players ended up injured as the result of this debacle. So as I noticed that I was only rubbing salt in the wounds, I told my players to score if there was an open net. The play immediately resumed control, but the score was quite embarrassing.

The next day the parents from the opposing team were calling me classless, despite the fact that their coach thanked me for my efforts. It seems like a winless situation when you play an inferior team. No one likes to lose, and I truly believe that no coach intentionally humiliates another team. I bet Coach Culbreth was equally embarrassed for WB, and I am quite certain that he never meant for it to get that out of hand.

i would like to take this moment to make a point of how karns (just down the road from farragut, i believe) treated my school (cumberland county) when we went up for a game a week or so ago. from the time we got off the bus, it was obvious that they were the far superior team, and could quite possibly give us a very big beating. as the game played itself out, we rarely had a chance on goal and karns controlled the ball most of the half. their coach instructed them to go to two touches after only a 2-0 lead was taken. they took out their better players and played others who presumably got less playing time, in the second half and earned a 3-0 result. i'm not going to say whether beating us by 3 on a day when it could have been much more is a good thing or not, but i can say losing by 3 goals instead of 6 or whatever it could have been was greatly appreciated by myself and my team. obviously this situation can't really be compared to the other, as many factors differ i know, i'm just saying, it was real cool. karns...they're alright by me...

QUOTE(brick25 @ Apr 20 2007 - 08:54 PM) 826442139[/snapback]Farragut is a really good team who thinks they are the greatest team.. this has been true for more than just this year. And the love to talk about being #1 and all this before the year and how they are going to dominate state. Both these things have not come true in a couple of years for them. And they love to have a couple of tough games like bearden so they have the teams on their scheldle that makes it look like they are playing the best and hardest scheldle out there.. but then they scheldle a less skilled oppent after these games so they can demolish them and feel good about themselves telling everyone they beat a team by 14 when really its a sad reason for why the hide behind the reason that they lose to teams like bearden and dont ever end up being number 1

They have to play WB.....it's a district game. unless WB decides to forfeit, they can't do anything but show up and play.

Many good comments in this thread regarding ways to keep the score down and many good points of how some of those tactics are humiliating. Not passing judgment, but I am just curious of how many different scorers there where? Had a 10-0 win last year with 9 different scorers...for five of them, it was their only goal of the year. We would pick a target player and try to feed them, so they would get a goal. Not a goal they would remember all their lives, but maybe the only goal they would get in HS. Never a good situation, just one we all have to deal with...on both ends...been beat 9-0 recently, with six scorers. It atleast let me know they mixed it up a bit.

For those who worry about their star players getting hurt by cleats up in these routs...why are they even on the field? Good opportunity to rest up and heal those sore ankles they aren't telling you about /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />