Favorite Defenses

HallsDE#72

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(HallsDE#72 @ Apr 20 2007 - 01:29 PM) 826441919[/snapback]There's a lot of defeses out there. The 5-2, the 4-4, the 3-3-5, or the good old 4-3 just to mention a few. What formation is your favorites. Which do you think is the most effective?

Question is impossible to answer. Much depends on what kind of personnel you have at your disposal and what kinds of offensive systems you are playing against. Anything will work if you have the horses, and nothing will work in the long haul if you don't. All defensive formations require good linebackers, and experience clearly shows that most offensive teams are poor at picking up blitzes and responding to immediate pressure against their passing games. I only know of one maxim that I would say is universal for high schools--don't take your safety out of the middle of the field, and make sure he is a skilled tackler.

Any defense with an odd front is my preference. It cuts down on getting down blocked by the offensive line. To me the easiest block is down blocking because you get to use angles. Use a defense that takes away the O-Lines angles and forces them to man up or use scoops and doubles because it allows the linebackers to be freed up.

QUOTE(Live4FridayNite615 @ Apr 21 2007 - 01:19 PM) 826442403[/snapback]My personal favorite is the 4-2-5...

What the heck in the difference between a 4-2-5 & a 4-4????? Yes the outside linebackers are going to be considered as "Rovers" in the 4-2-5 scheme because they will be able to play like OLBs and also be able to cover slot receivers like DBs but scheme wise what is the difference???????

QUOTE(Big Country @ Apr 24 2007 - 08:18 PM) 826444413[/snapback]What the heck in the difference between a 4-2-5 & a 4-4????? Yes the outside linebackers are going to be considered as "Rovers" in the 4-2-5 scheme because they will be able to play like OLBs and also be able to cover slot receivers like DBs but scheme wise what is the difference???????

haha i dont know!!

What the heck in the difference between a 4-2-5 & a 4-4????? Yes the outside linebackers are going to be considered as "Rovers" in the 4-2-5 scheme because they will be able to play like OLBs and also be able to cover slot receivers like DBs but scheme wise what is the difference???????

Not much diffrence as far as the base front goes. A 6 tech by the DE strong instead of a 7 to prevent the wash from the down block. More blitzinf than from a base 4-4. The main diffrence is that the OLB's are actually SS's. They are a diffrent athlete. They can play man, Cover 2 Weak hash safety, Rotate from Cover 2 or cover 3 and play Deep middle. They are also able to walk up and play DE. The adjustments are made according to formation without changing personell. They are a Hybrid player. For instance-if they are playing man in Cover 1 and responsible for #2 vs. Doubles and # 2 motions they can rotate back to the middle and play FS and Free simply slides down and plays the the #3 whoever that ends up being Man to Man. You can just ask a lot more from them without bringing in a diffrent package. We also slant alot more with edge pressure coming opposite. I have not seen many base 4-4 teams do this. Run responsibilites out of a base Cover 3 are the same. It is when you start playing Quarters with them are you slide to a 4-3 that things change. We can get into a 4-3, 50, bear, 6-2 and a shade 50 all without changing personell. Of course if that week we see a mismatch we can also take out a SS and go big. hese SS's must be very good athletes to be effective in this scheme.IMO

I have become a fan of the 3-4, played with 50 front principles while dropping the SS into the box on the weak side on 1st and 2nd down in high school. The key to this defense is having a true Nose Tackle that can whip the C's butt. If you play it while showing a true 50 front on run downs, you can be really successful. You've got gap control, but you still have guys in position to cover and get a rush. Now, it helps to have two rangy guys to play that hybrid Joey Porter/Lawrence Taylor OLB position who can contain and chase, as well as drop into coverage. If you don't have good perimeter athletes, a immovable NT, and two hole filler Mike's, you're probably better off in a even front.

QUOTE(Mc cowboy @ Apr 25 2007 - 10:50 AM) 826444985[/snapback]Not much diffrence as far as the base front goes. A 6 tech by the DE strong instead of a 7 to prevent the wash from the down block. More blitzinf than from a base 4-4. The main diffrence is that the OLB's are actually SS's. They are a diffrent athlete. They can play man, Cover 2 Weak hash safety, Rotate from Cover 2 or cover 3 and play Deep middle. They are also able to walk up and play DE. The adjustments are made according to formation without changing personell. They are a Hybrid player. For instance-if they are playing man in Cover 1 and responsible for #2 vs. Doubles and # 2 motions they can rotate back to the middle and play FS and Free simply slides down and plays the the #3 whoever that ends up being Man to Man. You can just ask a lot more from them without bringing in a diffrent package. We also slant alot more with edge pressure coming opposite. I have not seen many base 4-4 teams do this. Run responsibilites out of a base Cover 3 are the same. It is when you start playing Quarters with them are you slide to a 4-3 that things change. We can get into a 4-3, 50, bear, 6-2 and a shade 50 all without changing personell. Of course if that week we see a mismatch we can also take out a SS and go big. hese SS's must be very good athletes to be effective in this scheme.IMO

Thanks for the explanation coach!!!!!