Riverdale vs. Mt.Juliet

uncfan09

if there is no "understood rule" on this there should be...if you pull out of a previous committment for no reason & that coach has left that slot open for that game then that coach should be given a win by a forfeit or default. Mt Juliet is probably just intimidated by the progress Riverdale has been making & does not want a "loss" so issue them one for not showing up!! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to be a coaching decision, most of the people on this board know the girls on Mt Juliet and should know they would never back away from any game or any team. We have played Riverdale four times and each time we have came out on shortend of 1-0 games. Even though we do not like the losses, our team is very young (2 8th , 1 9th, 3 10th, 3 11th graders) and we play the primarily top AAA teams out there every year, it matures them quickly. They realize one mistake can cost a game when you are playing the best. We lost another one last night to hendersonville 1-0, great game as usual. Hendersonville last year was young and they took their hits, but look at them now, they have a great chance of going to state this year. We have lost more games this year then we have the last two total. It is sometimes hard for my daughter and the other girls to realize in the long run playing against the best out there will help us during districts and state. If it means losing to the best teams out there 1-0 and learning something to achieve our goal of a state championship then bring on the losses.

I cannot see the coach cancelling just for a better record when the goal is to see the best during the regular season to get ready for districts and state.

QUOTE(softballscout @ Apr 26 2007 - 09:16 AM) 826445789[/snapback]Has to be a coaching decision, most of the people on this board know the girls on Mt Juliet and should know they would never back away from any game or any team. We have played Riverdale four times and each time we have came out on shortend of 1-0 games. Even though we do not like the losses, our team is very young (2 8th , 1 9th, 3 10th, 3 11th graders) and we play the primarily top AAA teams out there every year, it matures them quickly. They realize one mistake can cost a game when you are playing the best. We lost another one last night to hendersonville 1-0, great game as usual. Hendersonville last year was young and they took their hits, but look at them now, they have a great chance of going to state this year. We have lost more games this year then we have the last two total. It is sometimes hard for my daughter and the other girls to realize in the long run playing against the best out there will help us during districts and state. If it means losing to the best teams out there 1-0 and learning something to achieve our goal of a state championship then bring on the losses.

I cannot see the coach cancelling just for a better record when the goal is to see the best during the regular season to get ready for districts and state.

Exactly the point softballscout. All nondistrict games are scheduled for a reason, to get better for post season. The point in the first post on this subject was that a reason for the cancellation was not given to anyone. There are reasons that are legit when things happen, but at least out of common courtesy to both teams the coach that cancels should let the reason be known. I'm sure Mt. Juliet is not running scared or anything because they have an excellent team. This would just have been a good matchup between two very good pitchers and two very good teams getting both programs ready for post season. Too bad it is not going to happen!

QUOTE(uncfan09 @ Apr 26 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826445804[/snapback]Exactly the point softballscout. All nondistrict games are scheduled for a reason, to get better for post season. The point in the first post on this subject was that a reason for the cancellation was not given to anyone. There are reasons that are legit when things happen, but at least out of common courtesy to both teams the coach that cancels should let the reason be known. I'm sure Mt. Juliet is not running scared or anything because they have an excellent team. This would just have been a good matchup between two very good pitchers and two very good teams getting both programs ready for post season. Too bad it is not going to happen!

I agree you should at least let em know. I figured somebody had to tell somebody why, except were not comin.

I hate to say this but I think it reflects a total lack of respect for Riverdales coach, players and organization. Canceling for anything less than an emergency at the last second at the end of the season, when the team needs a game, is inexcusable. No reason given is worse. Not even offering to reschedule is worse yet. Letting Riverdale know a month or two ago would have been fine, they would have time to reschedule or substitute another team. It is, to me, not sportsmanlike behavior. I will give Mt. Juliet the benefit of the doubt, I really don't think the coach realized how unacceptable this action is viewed in the softball community. Sometimes I think we all are guilty of not thinking of how our actions affect others.

QUOTE(swingaway @ Apr 25 2007 - 07:46 PM) 826445370[/snapback]Well, I looked and they are not having to make up a district game. I really don't know what to think. If she didn't tell the Riverdale coach why, well I can only say that they just do not feel it is to their advantage to play Riverdale right now. I think if you book a game at the beginning of the season, you should play it, and not cancel out so late the game cannot be replaced, unless something catastrophic happens that prevents you from playing. I don't know why if Saturday wont work, another day couldn't be chosen. At this late date, Riverdale cannot replace the game. They cannot enter a tournament at this late date and even if they could, they would have to cancel Beech to do it as it would put them one over the limit. Not an option. Quite honestly, in my opinion, it really isn't good sportsmanship. I truly do hope there is an excellent excuse.

I don't think they are scared of Riverdale. You will find out " IF YOU MAKE IT TO STATE THIS YEAR."

By the way, correct spelling is not ( wont). It is won't. Meaning will not. Just thought you needed the spelling lesson.

QUOTE(justchewinfat @ Apr 26 2007 - 11:17 AM) 826445899[/snapback]I don't think they are scared of Riverdale. You will find out " IF YOU MAKE IT TO STATE THIS YEAR."

By the way, correct spelling is not ( wont). It is won't. Meaning will not. Just thought you needed the spelling lesson.

By the way, "It is won't.", is not a complete sentence. You should have used a comma before it and the previous sentence or encased it in quotation marks. Just thought you needed the writing lesson. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

my my arent we getting testy in this here thread LOL

i really dont think it is that big of a deal one way or the other would it have been nice to play them SURE but i think that it was probably cancelled for a reasonable reason and that coach breeden will use it as a practice day so the girls will be just fine playing one less game

Oh, dont pick on my friend, Mr. Fat. I mean, he might quit coming on here with his wonderfully positive comments about Riverdale. He is one of those wonderful Chattanooga-Ooltawah people that make my life so enjoyable. ( Besides, he is doing the best he can with the spelling and writing stuff and we dont want to hurt his feelings)

QUOTE(ERA @ Apr 26 2007 - 11:21 AM) 826445902[/snapback]By the way, "It is won't.", is not a complete sentence. You should have used a comma before it and the previous sentence or encased it in quotation marks. Just thought you needed the writing lesson. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Who pulled your string?