Knox Webb @ Bearden

brick25

QUOTE(R.U.R. @ May 2 2007 - 12:19 PM) 826450105[/snapback]well...i guess i picked the wrong person to criticize. im sure marvin is a great guy off the field, dont get me wrong...and i still think he's a good player. however, in my opinion (SOLEY SOCCER!!!) i think he can play dirty at times, and that is my opinion and im entitled to it. i will concede though and say again that i think he is a very talented player and obviously does great things outside of soccer. please no one else respond about this issue...it's done.

I will go ahead and back up R.U.R. on this one... I played Club with Marvin and won two state championships with him. He is a great guy off the field and a great person, but in the game he is very dirty and can cause some bad things to happen such as pk's and free kicks right outside the 18. I can understand smart fouling, but when he commits a foul 90% of the time he does it in the wrong place. I am a friend of Marvin, but he does play dirty. R.U.R. is not saying that Marvin is a bad person, he is just simply saying that he plays dirty.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigL @ May 2 2007 - 01:06 PM) 826450148[/snapback]I will go ahead and back up R.U.R. on this one... I played Club with Marvin and won two state championships with him. He is a great guy off the field and a great person, but in the game he is very dirty and can cause some bad things to happen such as pk's and free kicks right outside the 18. I can understand smart fouling, but when he commits a foul 90% of the time he does it in the wrong place. I am a friend of Marvin, but he does play dirty. R.U.R. is not saying that Marvin is a bad person, he is just simply saying that he plays dirty.

To me, playing dirty implies an intent to hurt or cheat. While Marvin does get quite a few fouls and has received a few yellows, his intent should never questioned.

Was Pete Rose a dirty player? (I know, wrong sport, but still a great example!) No, he was called Charlie Hustle and always played right on the edge. Marvin plays on the edge because he is competing in the middle against usually the most skilled player on the other team; in the spaces where the ball is most often (the middle); and the areas where successful teams always contest (defensive third) the hardest. Marvin will wear you out because he never stops competing. The match-up against Radcliffe last night was a classic example. Both players contested for ball. The referee let them play, only calling a foul when necessary. Both had a couple of knocks and had to be exhausted by the end of the game.

QUOTE(turbocab @ May 2 2007 - 01:23 PM) 826450159[/snapback]To me, playing dirty implies an intent to hurt or cheat. While Marvin does get quite a few fouls and has received a few yellows, his intent should never questioned.

Was Pete Rose a dirty player? (I know, wrong sport, but still a great example!) No, he was called Charlie Hustle and always played right on the edge. Marvin plays on the edge because he is competing in the middle against usually the most skilled player on the other team; in the spaces where the ball is most often (the middle); and the areas where successful teams always contest (defensive third) the hardest. Marvin will wear you out because he never stops competing. The match-up against Radcliffe last night was a classic example. Both players contested for ball. The referee let them play, only calling a foul when necessary. Both had a couple of knocks and had to be exhausted by the end of the game.

Well everyone has their own opinion on what a dirty player might be like. Like I said I am backing up R.U.R. on this one b/c I have played with Marvin for quite a while, and he does play dirty (as in hacking at the ankles, throwing elbows, ect..) I know he gives it his all when he is out on the field, and thats just his style of play. Once again I am a friend of Marvin, and this is not an attack on him.

QUOTE(BigL @ May 2 2007 - 01:06 PM) 826450148[/snapback]I will go ahead and back up R.U.R. on this one... I played Club with Marvin and won two state championships with him. He is a great guy off the field and a great person, but in the game he is very dirty and can cause some bad things to happen such as pk's and free kicks right outside the 18. I can understand smart fouling, but when he commits a foul 90% of the time he does it in the wrong place. I am a friend of Marvin, but he does play dirty. R.U.R. is not saying that Marvin is a bad person, he is just simply saying that he plays dirty.

Marv is one of the best players in the area and is absolutely not a dirty player. He plays as hard as anyone and never with the intent of hurting another player or gaining an unfair advantage. Ya'll in your "wisdom" chose to criticize a player who is liked by the overwhelming majority of the soccer community for how hard he plays and his class. Someone obviously has an extreme personal dislike for Marv and frankly, you're wrong; i think the overwhelming defense on his behalf in this thread should clearly demonstrate that fact. I'm pretty sure, whoever you are, that Marv would run circles around you up and down the field all day and every day so enough is enough. Your trash doesn't belong here...Marv is by no means "very dirty"; the support from college coaches and soccer community is proof enough for anyone that he's a great person and player.

QUOTE(Fookie21 @ Apr 30 2007 - 07:48 PM) 826448637[/snapback]Webb would be happy to play faragut, but the admirals are scared of another game like 2 years ago so they will not accept the challenge. and also, bearden beat faragut, so really it can be the knox title. But anyways, i say webb contests walker's punts and will sneak one by him and take it in a close 1-0 match.

/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> right.

QUOTE(BigL @ May 2 2007 - 02:32 PM) 826450164[/snapback]Well everyone has their own opinion on what a dirty player might be like. Like I said I am backing up R.U.R. on this one b/c I have played with Marvin for quite a while, and he does play dirty (as in hacking at the ankles, throwing elbows, ect..) I know he gives it his all when he is out on the field, and thats just his style of play. Once again I am a friend of Marvin, and this is not an attack on him.

If that is the case it will help him his 1st yr at the Point!

Congrats to him and his family on his appointment to the US Military Academy!

Is he thinking about playing soccer at WP?

QUOTE(shims4 @ May 2 2007 - 03:08 PM) 826450210[/snapback]Marv is one of the best players in the area and is absolutely not a dirty player. He plays as hard as anyone and never with the intent of hurting another player or gaining an unfair advantage. Ya'll in your "wisdom" chose to criticize a player who is liked by the overwhelming majority of the soccer community for how hard he plays and his class. Someone obviously has an extreme personal dislike for Marv and frankly, you're wrong; i think the overwhelming defense on his behalf in this thread should clearly demonstrate that fact. I'm pretty sure, whoever you are, that Marv would run circles around you up and down the field all day and every day so enough is enough. Your trash doesn't belong here...Marv is by no means "very dirty"; the support from college coaches and soccer community is proof enough for anyone that he's a great person and player.

heck no he wouldnt...and no more on this topic.

QUOTE(shims4 @ May 2 2007 - 03:08 PM) 826450210[/snapback]Marv is one of the best players in the area and is absolutely not a dirty player. He plays as hard as anyone and never with the intent of hurting another player or gaining an unfair advantage. Ya'll in your "wisdom" chose to criticize a player who is liked by the overwhelming majority of the soccer community for how hard he plays and his class. Someone obviously has an extreme personal dislike for Marv and frankly, you're wrong; i think the overwhelming defense on his behalf in this thread should clearly demonstrate that fact. I'm pretty sure, whoever you are, that Marv would run circles around you up and down the field all day and every day so enough is enough. Your trash doesn't belong here...Marv is by no means "very dirty"; the support from college coaches and soccer community is proof enough for anyone that he's a great person and player.

Although "Marv" has a few fouls here and there, it doesn't make him a dirty player.

This all makes sense. Well skilled but hard-nosed, physically aggressive players are often among the most popular players with their own teammates and are often labelled "dirty" or "hacks" by opponents. It goes with the turf in almost any sport. The truth is there really aren't too many truly "dirty" soccer players and those I've seen have often been short on ability or skill. Experienced players know how to solve most problems with true hacks and it doesn't involve posting complaints on message boards.

P.S. I've seen Marvin play for a long time and most often I've been hoping he and his team will fail. But, I'd take him. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(Trinity3 @ May 2 2007 - 09:23 AM) 826449781[/snapback]R.U.R.

Enough is enough! We all know you have personal issues with Marvin. Grow up and get over it! How may soccer scholarships have you turned down? Marvin has! How may selective universities have accepted you (Vanderbilt, University of Virginia, Air Force Academy)? In your eyes, his play may appear dirty. His future, however, is bright. In a couple months he'll be washing his dirty laundry at the US Military Academy at West Point studying to become a leader in protecting your freedom/right to openly bash him. Our prayer is that you will get over your bitterness.

Enjoy your future!

Marvin's Dad

(First and last-time poster)

*laughs at Marvin's dad*

QUOTE(longdonsilver17 @ May 3 2007 - 02:56 PM) 826450944[/snapback]*laughs at Marvin's dad*

i know that i am not supposed to post because of what my coach says, but i think this worth going against his wishes for. i have grown up with marvin and i know his dad very well. i hope that you meant this as a good thing like, "way to go marvin's dad, or you thought it was funny because it was a good post. but if you were actually just laughing at his dad out of disrespect that is pathetic. everyone in his family are good people.

now, is marvin a dirty player? of course not, he plays physically, and he goes up for every ball. sometimes in soccer which is a "CONTACT" sport people get ran over, or hit, if you can't take that, then you don't need to be on the field. marvin has something called heart and a love for the game, this drives him to play his hardest and give everything he has to win... if that makes him a dirty player, then more power to him, and other people need to play more like him.