Junior colleges

bleednpurple&gold

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure which area you are talking about, but Chattanooga State was ranked #1 in the nation for several weeks this year, so..............

And as far as treatment of players goes, Junior College ain't high school. You have to get your school work done and get your athletic work done, also. One is paying for the other. Generally, JC coaches reward talent, period.

We are fortunate to have some great Juco coaches in this state. From Dyersburg east to Walters some great baseball is being taught and played.

Check out http://www.tbca.org/TJCCAA%20Baseball.htm

"Any of these known for students leaving early because of treatment of players?"

Some Jucos are famous for getting a lot of kids and then 'thinning the herd'....

Tennessee has a great JUCO program. They play a ton of ball and do not have the restrictions on practices that D1 colleges have. You must pass and do your school work. And the aforementioned comment about it not being high school is correct. Most of these guys/coaches are paid to produce. Booster Clubs, for the most part, are long gone. It is an adjustment, but isn't that what life is anyway?

Walters State won the World Series last year, Chattanooga St. was ranked number 1 in the country for most of the year. Any given day, anybody can beat anybody is alot more true in JUCO than High school. Great program!

QUOTE(catsbackr @ May 2 2007 - 01:52 PM) 826450131[/snapback]I'm not sure which area you are talking about, but Chattanooga State was ranked #1 in the nation for several weeks this year, so..............

And as far as treatment of players goes, Junior College ain't high school. You have to get your school work done and get your athletic work done, also. One is paying for the other. Generally, JC coaches reward talent, period.

Walters State is the defending JUCO National Champions and had six players drafted last year, http://www.wscc.cc.tn.us/athletics/basebal...raft%202006.htm

Anyone who plays for Larry Works at Roane State gets a very special kind of education, in baseball and in life--not to mention expectorational accuracy and adult vocabulary.

True story: pitcher gives up a home run in a critical situation on an 0-2 count because he grooved a pitch. Coach Works strides slowly to the mound, looks left, looks right, takes the ball, expectorates, pats the ball into his hand a time or two, signals for a reliever, and says, "So-and-so, you must be the dumbest mother------ in the whole ----ing world." At which point the whole infield--gathered around the mound-- puts their gloves over their faces to hide that they are laughing.

Kidding aside, TN JUCO had one team rated #1 for some time and *another* team in TN JUCO won the national championship? What's that say about the quality of competition?

I was recruited pretty heavily by Dyersburg State coming out of high school. They were really professional and I probably made a mistake of going NAIA. I thought that NAIA was better baseball than JUCO but I believe JUCO may be better in Tennessee. I would have to say that Chattanooga State, Walters State, and Dyersburg State have to be the front runners for the better "JUCO athletes" at this point and time in Tennessee. Just my opinion

QUOTE(bleednpurple&gold @ May 2 2007 - 01:46 PM) 826450124[/snapback]Thoughts on best junior colleges in area? Vol State, Columbia, Motlow, Etc. Any of these known for students leaving early because of treatment of players?

All of the TJCCAA schools have their postives and negatives. At present, the hot teams are Walters, Chatt., and Dyersburg. Check fairly recent history and you'll see that Roane won the conference tournament. Columbia has a new coach with a new attitude. Motlow is in a similar situation. The bottom line is unless your going to play right away at a 4 yr school, going to any TJCCAA school for your first 2 yrs and playing is your best bet. I've followed the TJCCAA for some time now. The level of play is as strong as many 4 yr conferences around. Players from all the teams have moved on to 4 yr school rosters. Pick any 4 yr school, D-1 to NAIA, and look at their current rosters. Many players will have Junior Colleges listed as their previous schools. If you're considering any TJCCAA schools, just talk to them and make the decision as to which is the best fit for you. For every negative comment you hear about any of the schools, I can match it with a positive one about the same school. Not every situation is going to fit every player. As far as running players off, TJCCAA baseball is virtually August through May. Hard work and intensity is the norm. Balancing this with the class work is tough. Lastly, attend the TJCCAA conference tournament in Columbia this weekend and see how many 4 yr schools are represented with scouts/coaches watching. They know where to find players.