Question for Refs

soccertime

Can a ref end a Tennessee H.S game when someone is 10 ft from the opponents goal about (foot coming down) to shoot?

I've seen lots of soccer and have always been told that you do not end a game on offensive play.

I was told tonight that in Tennessee H.S. soccer the game ends when time is up.

Not that it matters now but our guy shot as the whistle blew it bounced off the keeper and another of our players put it in the back of the net.

Any refs have a comment?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(soccertime @ May 3 2007 - 11:47 PM) 826451357[/snapback]Can a ref end a Tennessee H.S game when someone is 10 ft from the opponents goal about (foot coming down) to shoot?

I've seen lots of soccer and have always been told that you do not end a game on offensive play.

I was told tonight that in Tennessee H.S. soccer the game ends when time is up.

Not that it matters now but our guy shot as the whistle blew it bounced off the keeper and another of our players put it in the back of the net.

Any refs have a comment?

A game ends when it ends. On a corner kick, counter attack etc... However, for whatever reason, most refs will wait until an attack is finished, but they should not do that, they should blow the whistle.

A game ends when the ref blows the final whistle. The question is when should the ref blow the final whistle?

When he feels like it.

Very few refs will end a game on an attack... Seen it done... I've never done it. The ref is supposed to be managing the time for subs, injuries, and other stoppages, but they rarely actually repay the game for every second of stoppage. Because of the inherent inaccuracies of time keeping, It is customary to allow an attack to end before announcing end of play. If a goal is scored the ref can allow a few seconds after the ensuing kickoff before the final whistle, but all of this is at the discretion of the ref.

If a contest situation has limited the ref's discretion and the ref plans to end time at a certain point no matter what, a smart ref will manage this situation by announcing the remaining time to the players. you feel slighted because the whistle sounded on your attack but if the ref had said "Ten seconds" and then blown the whistle accordingly, you would have still been bummed out but you would have accepted the call more easily.

QUOTE(BlackmanSoccerDad @ May 4 2007 - 05:51 AM) 826451388[/snapback]A game ends when it ends. On a corner kick, counter attack etc... However, for whatever reason, most refs will wait until an attack is finished, but they should not do that, they should blow the whistle.

why shouldnt they do this? they should wait until the ball is not in an attacking situation. b/c if what your saying is true, then there could be so many situations a team would be screwed. like for example. what if one team has a penalty kick in extra time and the refs watch goes off before the kicker shoots... then your saying "blackmansoccerdad" that the ref should not allow the penalty kick to happen. that would be retarded. so all refs should know when to stop play. its common sense blackmansoccerdad. come on.

QUOTE(WestTNMatron9 @ May 4 2007 - 06:56 AM) 826451444[/snapback]why shouldnt they do this? they should wait until the ball is not in an attacking situation. b/c if what your saying is true, then there could be so many situations a team would be screwed. like for example. what if one team has a penalty kick in extra time and the refs watch goes off before the kicker shoots... then your saying "blackmansoccerdad" that the ref should not allow the penalty kick to happen. that would be retarded. so all refs should know when to stop play. its common sense blackmansoccerdad. come on.

Penalty kicks occur with time being stopped (clock isn't running).

QUOTE(BigG @ May 4 2007 - 08:12 AM) 826451459[/snapback]Penalty kicks occur with time being stopped (clock isn't running).

Clock is running for penalty kicks. However, the rules specifically provide that time is extended to allow the taking of a penalty kick awarded during play. I do agree with Blackman Dad that time is up when it is up no matter where the play is. I too think it is great when time is kept on the clock so everyone knows what time is left.

It is a judgment call -- period. When time ends, it is true, the game is over. However, soccer is not as precise a sport as basketball or football where the clock is constantly being stopped and started at the signal of the ref. For a soccer ref to treat the game of soccer in the same way shows poor judgment. There is always enough situations in a game besides injuries, goals scored and other legitimate times for stoppage to allow play to continue when a team has an advantage. There is always time that was lost for goal kicks, throw ins, having to chase down the ball in the mean time, substitutions, etc. For a ref to blow the whistle and end the game when a team is shooting, in the act of shooting, or already having shot the ball (as I have seen a ref do) just shows their lack of understanding of the game and all around bad judgment.

I do not like the State or the local ref association during district and regional tournament time keeping an official clock on the scoreboard. The game should be conducted like it was meant to be conducted and is conducted at all higher levels of the sport with the ref keeping time on the field. It is the height of foolishness to treat soccer in the area of game time any other way.

Ok, look. We have two sets of rules that do pretty much the same thing. In FIFA USSF, etc. the clock never stops. the ref just decides when the game is over and I guarandangtee you it never ever is ended before a penalty kick is taken and it is never advised that it end on a viable attack unless the attacker is ahead. In NHSF rules, the clock stops when the ref calls for it to stop. Cards, subs, injuries, etc. happen off the clock, and so would a penalty kick. it is a semantic game but amounts to the same thing.

It's all about the "spectacle" as I've heard it referred to. You folks must be thinking it's about who wins the game but that's not the tradition, nor is it the rule. It's about entertaining the fans...something we haven't quite realized or gotten around to in this country.

QUOTE(BigG @ May 4 2007 - 08:12 AM) 826451459[/snapback]Penalty kicks occur with time being stopped (clock isn't running).

Thanks G and Kimbo. People get way to personal.

Just so we are all clear, especially you matron9, according to NFHS Soccer Rules, Rule 6, Page 33 section 2 Art 3"Time starts when the ball is put into play and stop the timing device by the referee for an injury, for a penalty kick, for a caution, for disqualification, following a scoring of a goal and when an official orders the clock to be stopped."

I don't see anything in the rules that says to stop time because you are on a attack. You have your chances in the game, just because you are in an attack on the last second, doesn't mean you don't stop the time. Heck if you are in your half of the game, throwing down the line, you are technically in a attack. However, if someone was just awarded a corner and my watch went off and the kid was about to kick the corner, I wouldn't blow the whistle. I am a stickler for the rules, but come on, most referees are not heartless. However, if you were in state, as Big G stated, you wouldn't get that corner.

This is part of the reason referees get so much crap, because not everyone knows the rules, they think they know the rules. So in your scenario WestTNMatron9, I would have to stop the clock and the penalty kick would be made. We are not perfect and make mistakes, remember that, especially when you are on the pitch playing a perfect game.

The question was ask. "Can a ref end a Tennessee H.S game when someone is 10 ft from the opponents goal about (foot coming down) to shoot?" And I anwsered the questions, which was yes, he can, and be very much in his right to do so. Sorry I got so defensive, but I try to read the rules and go by them the best I can and most referees are the same.