Gray Area in TSSAA rules

Ohs_Owls2005

Its district tourney time and i've just kinda ticked about a called game. Ooltewah vs Soddy Daisy on friday was a downpour we were under an hour rain delay and only completed 2 innings we resumed play but during the bottom of the 7th it starts a complete drenching the game was called when Ooltewah had 2 men on and the tieing run at the plate with no outs. The game was called off and Soddy got the win. I don't understand how they can call a game in this situation i mean its not a regular season game this is a teams future in the balance. I'm not saying that Ooltewah would have won but you need to give them a chance. TSSAA rules state that in tournment play that a suspended game will resume at the point of suspention but they refered back to the 6th inning when Soddy had the lead.

How is this fair????

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Ohs_Owls2005 @ May 6 2007 - 09:24 PM) 826453130[/snapback]Its district tourney time and i've just kinda ticked about a called game. Ooltewah vs Soddy Daisy on friday was a downpour we were under an hour rain delay and only completed 2 innings we resumed play but during the bottom of the 7th it starts a complete drenching the game was called when Ooltewah had 2 men on and the tieing run at the plate with no outs. The game was called off and Soddy got the win. I don't understand how they can call a game in this situation i mean its not a regular season game this is a teams future in the balance. I'm not saying that Ooltewah would have won but you need to give them a chance. TSSAA rules state that in tournment play that a suspended game will resume at the point of suspention but they refered back to the 6th inning when Soddy had the lead.

How is this fair????

Where in TSSAA Rules does it state this? I was under the impression each district sets their own rules for establishing their champion and runnerup for region play????

QUOTE(Ohs_Owls2005 @ May 6 2007 - 08:24 PM) 826453130[/snapback]Its district tourney time and i've just kinda ticked about a called game. Ooltewah vs Soddy Daisy on friday was a downpour we were under an hour rain delay and only completed 2 innings we resumed play but during the bottom of the 7th it starts a complete drenching the game was called when Ooltewah had 2 men on and the tieing run at the plate with no outs. The game was called off and Soddy got the win. I don't understand how they can call a game in this situation i mean its not a regular season game this is a teams future in the balance. I'm not saying that Ooltewah would have won but you need to give them a chance. TSSAA rules state that in tournment play that a suspended game will resume at the point of suspention but they refered back to the 6th inning when Soddy had the lead.

How is this fair????

because the national federation of high school rules says if a game is called because of darkness or rain and 41/2 innings are completed with the home team ahead or 5 innings if the home team is losing it is a complete game

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 6 2007 - 09:34 PM) 826453133[/snapback]Where in TSSAA Rules does it state this? I was under the impression each district sets their own rules for establishing their champion and runnerup for region play????

In regular season and tournament play, its an official game after 4 and half or five innings are played. I don't guess there was an infield tarp at the field. Tarps are fairly expensive and it takes several people to roll one out on an infield, but all district sites should have one.

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 6 2007 - 08:34 PM) 826453133[/snapback]Where in TSSAA Rules does it state this? I was under the impression each district sets their own rules for establishing their champion and runnerup for region play????

david it is actually in the federation rules and that is what you go by UNLESS the TSSAA changes it and this is one that wasnt changed or modified...i could be wrong but i dont think so..i do know that the rule is right...

I am sure Ooltewah has a tarp. Thats why they could continue to play after the first rain delay. Seems like it is up to the umpires as long as they have completed 5 innings.

Same thing happened at Hixson but they were able to continue play because of the tarp and it didnt rain again but how long would they have waited? They waited about 90 minutes. Hixson was losing 1-0. Can't wait all night.

QUOTE(mtnman @ May 6 2007 - 09:16 PM) 826453172[/snapback]I am sure Ooltewah has a tarp. Thats why they could continue to play after the first rain delay. Seems like it is up to the umpires as long as they have completed 5 innings.

Same thing happened at Hixson but they were able to continue play because of the tarp and it didnt rain again but how long would they have waited? They waited about 90 minutes. Hixson was losing 1-0. Can't wait all night.

there is no certain time frame in tournaments you will do anything you can to finish the game and wait as long as you can to get started again a lot of radar checking LOL

QUOTE(JohnDoe @ May 6 2007 - 09:46 PM) 826453193[/snapback]Under II. section E. in the TSSAA Baseball Handbook.

"In tournament play, a suspended game shall be continued from the point of suspension."

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/baseball.pdf

Go ahead and check it out yourself.

You should appeal it or something. Im not sure on how you would go about doing this but it needs to be done quick.

i have 24 hours to protest ...i remember them telling us in a rules meeting that it is a complete game even during tournaments but i could be wrong

QUOTE(JohnDoe @ May 6 2007 - 11:46 PM) 826453193[/snapback]Under II. section E. in the TSSAA Baseball Handbook.

"In tournament play, a suspended game shall be continued from the point of suspension."

You should appeal it or something. Im not sure on how you would go about doing this but it needs to be done quick.

This is not a suspended game situation; it is a called game in which the final score is determined by the last complete inning.

QUOTE(JohnDoe @ May 6 2007 - 10:46 PM) 826453193[/snapback]Under II. section E. in the TSSAA Baseball Handbook.

I knew that line existed - I was looking for the 'if not an official game' part????

The reason TSSAA has the 'suspended, keep on going' language in there is to keep the tournaments moving and

not have games started over again.....

They could make that real a little less ambiguous - agreed????