8AAA Winner? Lawrence or Lincoln County

franko6

QUOTE(binns37388 @ May 8 2007 - 01:26 AM) 826454122[/snapback]There was one missed call in the game that went against Lincoln Co, but one missed call isn't gonna cost someone a game. The umpires were man enough to admit they made a mistake and are just as sorry as anyone else,and maybe more so, that it happened. The two umpires are outstanding men with good character. I wish I could say I've never made a mistake in a baseball game. Give Lawrence Co some credit. They came from behind more than once in this game. I have a lot of respect for Coach Tate and Coach Reese who have done a wonderful job with the Lincoln Co High School baseball program. Other than that one missed call, it was a great game. The best thing to do now, is move on. Tomorrow is another day and another game. You better focus on Coffee Co, because they're playing well right now. The Red Raiders are averaging more than 8 runs a game in this tourney. That old saying is true. Don't cry over spilled milk. The coaches voted to use a 2 man crew for the first time in this tournament, instead of a 3 man crew to save a few dollars. The vote was 7-0. Maybe with that third umpire, they would have gotten the call right and maybe not, but I like the odds. Pickoff plays at first and the tail end of a double play, which is almost always a bang bang play, are just two of many reasons why 3 umpires should be used in District Tournament play. In those two situations, you would always have an umpire at first. Are district tournaments not as important as Region games and the State Tournament, where a 3 man crew is mandantory? Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I'm with Binns on this one...I just read a book on LC and Lawrence Co game.......Is anyone aware that CC split with each of these teams in the season......So how can one be co sure that CC want win again......Food for thought..........

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(binns37388 @ May 8 2007 - 01:26 AM) 826454122[/snapback]There was one missed call in the game that went against Lincoln Co, but one missed call isn't gonna cost someone a game. The umpires were man enough to admit they made a mistake and are just as sorry as anyone else,and maybe more so, that it happened. The two umpires are outstanding men with good character. I wish I could say I've never made a mistake in a baseball game. Give Lawrence Co some credit. They came from behind more than once in this game. I have a lot of respect for Coach Tate and Coach Reese who have done a wonderful job with the Lincoln Co High School baseball program. Other than that one missed call, it was a great game. The best thing to do now, is move on. Tomorrow is another day and another game. You better focus on Coffee Co, because they're playing well right now. The Red Raiders are averaging more than 8 runs a game in this tourney. That old saying is true. Don't cry over spilled milk. The coaches voted to use a 2 man crew for the first time in this tournament, instead of a 3 man crew to save a few dollars. The vote was 7-0. Maybe with that third umpire, they would have gotten the call right and maybe not, but I like the odds. Pickoff plays at first and the tail end of a double play, which is almost always a bang bang play, are just two of many reasons why 3 umpires should be used in District Tournament play. In those two situations, you would always have an umpire at first. Are district tournaments not as important as Region games and the State Tournament, where a 3 man crew is mandantory? Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

It doesn`t matter how many umpires u use if none of them know the rules! One blown call can cost a game also been around ball for 50 years. Instead of 0 outs and runners on 2b and 3b you have 1 out and a runner on second. LC got beat by 1 run. Binns don`t make excuses for your crew. It was a good game . Lawrence is a good hitting team. Wish them luck.

This reaks of Binns making excuses for his guys. I've got no argument over a judgement call, and the "double play" was a judgement call. The other was a flat out rule call and the umpires DID NOT know the rules. Granted, he may have felt bad after the game, but I guarantee you that there were a lot of people with a lot riding on the game who felt worse. A game of this magnitude deserves umpires who know the rules. Umpires in a district tournament game should know the rules. The call that was made was wrong and the umpires not having a clue on the rules is INEXCUSABLE. The way that the umpires placed the runner after their decision simply proved that they didn't know what they were doing. Binns, I know you were at the game and with the obvious confusion of the umpires I would have expected better communication, even if it meant you getting involved. That play did not lose the game, but in a one-run game, and with the situation being what it was, man, it sure was critical. Congratulations to Lawrence County. Both teams played well, and yes, Lincoln County had better be ready to play tonight. Hope to see you again!

Good post

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ May 8 2007 - 12:28 AM) 826454112[/snapback]WHAT HAPPENED and what was called

Don't want to get too long winded, but on the rules call, here was the play . . .

Runner on 2nd no outs. Grounder to shortstop, runner breaks, throw to third, rundown. Both runners are on second, no one passed and no tag, runner goes back to first. Throw to first gets away, lead runner goes to third. Runners on first and third (?). After conferring, umpires call runner on first out. After being questioned on the call, umpires determine that the lead runner is out and award the trailing runner second base. A tag was never made and the trailing runner never passed the lead runner. No rules were broken. Instead of having runners on first and third with no outs, the umpires DECIDED that there should be a runner on second with one out. They had no clue and it was obvious, especially when they awarded the trailing runner second base. Blown judgement calls are a part of baseball, but not knowing the rules in INEXCUSABLE. Go get Coffee County tonight Falcons. No excuses!

Binns the more I read this post the madder I get. You telling L.C. fans not to cry over spilled milk. Your umpires need to know the rules or don`t be on the field! Balls and strikes and safe or out are one thing but 2 umpires not having a clue on a not so hard call is a joke. Maybe it`s time for you to move on and get over scheduling umpires! I`m sure you don`t have to tell L.C. how good Coffee is either. Sounds to me like u might have something aganist L.C. I didn`t think u were like that Binns. You suprised me with this post. I`ve known u for a long time can`t believe u would post something like this.

QUOTE(ozzie smith @ May 8 2007 - 06:36 AM) 826454151[/snapback]Binns the more I read this post the madder I get. You telling L.C. fans not to cry over spilled milk. Your umpires need to know the rules or don`t be on the field! Balls and strikes and safe or out are one thing but 2 umpires not having a clue on a not so hard call is a joke. Maybe it`s time for you to move on and get over scheduling umpires! I`m sure you don`t have to tell L.C. how good Coffee is either. Sounds to me like u might have something against L.C. I didn`t think u were like that Binns. You suprised me with this post. I`ve known u for a long time can`t believe u would post something like this.

Hey there big fella... how about chillin'out on Binns. The statement he was making was that in the majority of cases, three umpires is the best..It makes calling balks, pickoffs, and other tough plays so much easier with the 3rd guy, but really you need to talk to the ones really responsible for only having two...The coaches voted to only have 2 to save a dollar or two.. Maybe if the third ump was on the field like they should have had, he might have been able to give a little more insight into the situation. If I know the coaches like I know I do, they were probably running around screaming and acting like someone stole their cookies or something. If the umpires missapplied a rule, hey it happens. Sorry about that..I am sure that one play did not lose the game...A baseball game is made up of a hundred little different things that ALL MAKE A DIFFERENCE in the end...When the coaches learn the rules and how to act on the field, maybe all of the cooler heads on the field can get together and discuss, not holler and rant and rave, and then come up with the right decision on the play in question.. I hear the fans and coaches in Murf. tonite were ready to string the umps up to the flagpole, on a couple of wierd plays and the umps even checked with Gene Menees to make sure they got it right. There were two crazy plays in the game and the ump crew WERE RIGHT BOTH TIMES. The Forrest fans were totally acting ignorant and rude the whole game..Probably the most un-informed fans I have witnessed this year..All this tends to do is keep the players in a tizzy and affect their level of play..What does crying about EVERY play or PITCH teach the boys? How about hollering out threats to the umpire to" meet me in the parking lot?" It happened..no fooling...I was there! TOTAL CLASS!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another thing, as far as Binns goes...I have his phone number if you would like to apply for an umpire job so you can go out and show everybody your expertise> HOW ABOUT IT??? I will even loan you some top of the line equipment to help make your job a little easier... Binns' guys are some of the best in the state but dealing with crazy people like we have to, sometimes makes you wonder who is crazier...us or the fans, coaches, and spectators?? Binns tries to send his best umpires to the games that he feels are best for the situation...He does not have it in for ANYBODY!!!!! So try to come up with another lame excuse for your favorite team's troubles...That one will not work!! How about just going to the game and enjoying the sport and lt the kids decide it on the field..Mistakes, both by the players, coaches, and umpires are just part of the game from t-ball right thru the majors.So, my advice to you is GET OVER IT!! Crying about umpires and the like only tend to show you advocate an age old practice..ALWAYS BLAME SOMEONE ELSE!!

enough said...see you at the ballpark..or I know I will at least hear you!!!

QUOTE(Warhawk1 @ May 8 2007 - 05:54 AM) 826454136[/snapback]This reaks of Binns making excuses for his guys. I've got no argument over a judgement call, and the "double play" was a judgement call. The other was a flat out rule call and the umpires DID NOT know the rules. Granted, he may have felt bad after the game, but I guarantee you that there were a lot of people with a lot riding on the game who felt worse. A game of this magnitude deserves umpires who know the rules. Umpires in a district tournament game should know the rules. The call that was made was wrong and the umpires not having a clue on the rules is INEXCUSABLE. The way that the umpires placed the runner after their decision simply proved that they didn't know what they were doing. Binns, I know you were at the game and with the obvious confusion of the umpires I would have expected better communication, even if it meant you getting involved. That play did not lose the game, but in a one-run game, and with the situation being what it was, man, it sure was critical. Congratulations to Lawrence County. Both teams played well, and yes, Lincoln County had better be ready to play tonight. Hope to see you again!

Please read my post in response to ozzie smith's comments..The post could be in reply to this one also!!

heard Tullahoma fans saying the umps cost them the game

There are fans like this in every crowd.

Binns the more I read this post the madder I get. You telling L.C. fans not to cry over spilled milk. Your umpires need to know the rules or don`t be on the field! Balls and strikes and safe or out are one thing but 2 umpires not having a clue on a not so hard call is a joke. Maybe it`s time for you to move on and get over scheduling umpires! I`m sure you don`t have to tell L.C. how good Coffee is either. Sounds to me like u might have something aganist L.C. I didn`t think u were like that Binns. You suprised me with this post. I`ve known u for a long time can`t believe u would post something like this.

Any credibility you may have had on this subject Ozzie just went out the window. If you have "been around" baseball for 50 years then act like it.

Who sent the kid on first to second when it was occupied? If the umps misapplied a rule, they were wrong, but no more than the player running to an occupied base or the base coach that sent him. One bad call rarely blows a game. How many men were left on base during the course of the game in scoring position. How many coaching decisions affected situations? Blaming it on blue is an excuse for losing the game, not the reason.

QUOTE(binns37388 @ May 8 2007 - 12:26 AM) 826454122[/snapback]There was one missed call in the game that went against Lincoln Co, but one missed call isn't gonna cost someone a game. The umpires were man enough to admit they made a mistake and are just as sorry as anyone else,and maybe more so, that it happened. The two umpires are outstanding men with good character. I wish I could say I've never made a mistake in a baseball game. Give Lawrence Co some credit. They came from behind more than once in this game. I have a lot of respect for Coach Tate and Coach Reese who have done a wonderful job with the Lincoln Co High School baseball program. Other than that one missed call, it was a great game. The best thing to do now, is move on. Tomorrow is another day and another game. You better focus on Coffee Co, because they're playing well right now. The Red Raiders are averaging more than 8 runs a game in this tourney. That old saying is true. Don't cry over spilled milk. The coaches voted to use a 2 man crew for the first time in this tournament, instead of a 3 man crew to save a few dollars. The vote was 7-0. Maybe with that third umpire, they would have gotten the call right and maybe not, but I like the odds. Pickoff plays at first and the tail end of a double play, which is almost always a bang bang play, are just two of many reasons why 3 umpires should be used in District Tournament play. In those two situations, you would always have an umpire at first. Are district tournaments not as important as Region games and the State Tournament, where a 3 man crew is mandantory? Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I would like to agree with binns about the coach from linconl county, i dont watch much 8aaa baseball but do some. and the lincoln county teams that i have seen the past three are way different than the ones that i used to see under their other coach.the new coach is young but must be doing some good things because that program has came a long way in 3 years. he seems to have the falcons moving in the right direction. also he did not lose his head on that horrible call he tried to talk it out but did not get too tore up. that shows alot of character on his part. i also know that our kids from the boro'who played under the coach from lin. co. were really impressed with him .but a great game in the end with 2 great ball teams and over 25 hits. good luck to both the rest of the way.

QUOTE(ksgovols @ May 8 2007 - 07:26 AM) 826454219[/snapback]Who sent the kid on first to second when it was occupied? If the umps misapplied a rule, they were wrong, but no more than the player running to an occupied base or the base coach that sent him. One bad call rarely blows a game. How many men were left on base during the course of the game in scoring position. How many coaching decisions affected situations? Blaming it on blue is an excuse for losing the game, not the reason.

that is what you do in a run down you figure the lead runner will most of the time get out so you advance the trailing runner as far as you can . when the lead runner returns to 2nd safely the trailing runner goes back to 1st. but i agree it is over and is time to move on, but one call can change a game this was not a judgement call it was inexcusable in my opinion i hope it does not happen in the boro' in one of our big games. hope to see some great baseball in the region this year with lin. co and law. co it should be two good games. even if coffe makes it they can play too. hope everything goes better for you guys tonite! good luck!